Thread: New clutch problems

Rides

New clutch problems

So I have just changed my clutch as the old one was slipping (gone from an exeedy organic to a Nismo super coppermix) got everything back together but can't select gears. I have bled the slave cylinder and getting no air but it looks like the slave cylinder isn't pushing the clutch pivot fork far enough. The pedal comes up to normal position but feels really light to press down. I have taken the rubber boot off from the pivot fork an inspected the release baring Mechanism which all looks fine. I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to try next. Any advice/ideas would be much appreciated.

Rides
    Had similar issue not long ago. Thought, i had bleed all air out, but there was some air still in slave cylinder. When bleeding slave, push piston (that pushes fork) inside as far as you can, so air comes out of bleed valve. Then bleed with pedal.

Rides
    Check your release bearing hasn't fallen of the fork.. This happened to me once.. cannot even describe how angry i was.

Rides
    I have removed the clutch damper and re bled pushing the slave cylinder piston right back. Re checked the release bearing which looks to be in the right position. But still no joy

Rides
    Tonight I have adjusted the clutch pedal height as high as it will go and adjusted all of the free play out of the pedal to get maximum movement on the slave cylinder. I have takes off the rubber boot around the clutch fork an looked inside while someone presses the pedal down, everything seems to be moving correctly. I can see the release bearing pushing on the spring plate but its still not disengaging. Only think I think it could be is a faulty spring plate (clutch is brand new from rhd Japan)

Rides
    I have just started the car up in the air in 1st gear. The wheels spin as they should and when I press the brake the engine revs drop an will stall if I press it hard enough. But if I press the clutch down then brake the wheels stop and the revs stay the same. When the engine is running and in gear I can put it in to neutral fine if I don't press the clutch but if I do press the clutch I can't get it out of gear. This sounds to me like the clutch is disengaging fine but I just can't change gears when it's presses down for some reason.

Rides
    So if I start the car in gear clutch down hand brake on it starts fine an if I slowly bring the clutch up I can find the bite point (about half way up) but still can't change gears. It won't go into any gear at all with engine running and clutch down even if I rev it up. But goes into gear fine with engine off.

Rides
    Fixed it. All it needed was for me to slip the clutch a bit for it to bed in/settle and now works but 1st and reverse are still difficult to select.

Rides
    How is the clutch pedal adjusted? Mine doesn't quite release the clutch properly and it's been like that for years, would be nice if it could be fixed

Rides
    Im having big problems with my clutch at the moment as well.

I've had my ACT clutch for about two months and then one day I could feel something wasn't right in the clutch, and then that week I couldn't select any gears.
    We changed the slave cylinder for a new one and it has allowed me to select gears but the feeling in the pedal is still there.
    I asked my mechanic to take the box out and have a look and now he has found a broken bolt on the clutch plate, he has now changed that and put everything back together but it still isn't working.

We are now completely stuck and not sure what else to try.

Sorry if you think im thread jacking

Rides
    I had a clutch release issue and found the release bearing had split causing it to press on the fingers unevenly thus not releasing properly. wrecked my head changing cylinders, bleeding it etc etc.

Also check the clutch plate slides freely on the input shaft as that will also cause drag.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyTits View Post
    How is the clutch pedal adjusted? Mine doesn't quite release the clutch properly and it's been like that for years, would be nice if it could be fixed
    There is an adjuster on the pedal at the back under the dash. Bit of a pain to get to, there is a lock nut you undo with 12mm spanner then you turn the shaft that goes to the master cylinder to adjust pedal free play. There is a screw to adjust pedal height.

Rides
    Awesome! Thanks MadManMeasures.

So, does that mean I can increase how much the slave cylinder 'pushes' the release arm to effectively release the clutch more? I think with some fine adjustment that could sort all my issues

Rides
    Your welcome. Yep if you adjust out all the free play and adjust pedal to maximum height you can get more push on master cylinder which in turn gives the slave cylinder a longer stroke.

Rides
    Being careful not to over adjust it and cause the release bearing to constantly have pressure on it, youll go though bearings pretty fast doing that. Always leave a small amount of free play.