Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The final hurrah – S13, 25K miles, 1 owner from new, full refurb

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Hi Pete, Any chance of some really clear close-ups of the spoiler before, during and after remedial work ? I really want to see the shape of the metal brackets so I can remake mine properly.

The bracket you pointed to in the first pic of Post78 is a jack reinforcement point. Corrosion in this area is what leads to collapsed sills when people jack on them.
    Sure, I will get some pics of the spoiler posted. Better re fit the jack reinforcement plate then

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Did u sandblast them all? They look mint

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    No I didn't have everything done. Don't want to get grit in any bearings. This lot is being done by wire brushes / Deox

Diffy

Drive shafts

Lower arms

Bearing carrier

Got loads of parts in primer now

Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    These are all the pics I have of what I cut out of the spoiler. You can't cut all of the plates out - they are quite big and it would ruin the spoiler

The plan is to seal the metal properly with sikaflex to prevent further corrosion.
    Pete

Rides
    making good progress sir, keep it up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    making good progress sir, keep it up
    Thanks. Sprayed quite a lot of rear suspension parts in 2K epoxy. As far as I know, it's the most durable paint there is for chassis components

Seems strange doing all this again The main thing with any project is to keep going
    Pete

Rides
    doing it to the right car this time though pete

have you pulled the old S13 engine? it sounds like it might be worth sorting it out before selling the S13 and given I've got a fair few CA spares, I reckon it could be made whole again without much money spent on it
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I agree with Alan (as usual).

I have a few CA bits and pieces too if it helps.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    doing it to the right car this time though pete

have you pulled the old S13 engine? it sounds like it might be worth sorting it out before selling the S13 and given I've got a fair few CA spares, I reckon it could be made whole again without much money spent on it
    Absolutely the right car Can't live without an S13

I agree with Alan (as usual).

I have a few CA bits and pieces too if it helps.
    Thanks but it's time for the old car to move on. If I had the storage space, I would have kept it but have come to an arrangement with a long established member on here which is good. The old car will live on

Progress is slow at the moment due to other commitments but managed to get the rear subby sprayed in 2K epoxy paint

Some of it is OK

Other areas were a bit pitted so I sprayed quite a few coats on. This is what happens when you apply too much paint

It goes mega orange peel. The reason I did this is to get enough paint on to flat it back to hide the pitting

Few more bits done like the drive shafts

Pete

Rides
    What is it exactly you're spraying on to all this stuff? I've got a big tin of electrox zinc primer at my parents for a basecoat, I can't remember what I used on my last car as a top coat but it wasn't very durable. Looking for a better alternative.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    Thanks but it's time for the old car to move on. If I had the storage space, I would have kept it but have come to an arrangement with a long established member on here which is good. The old car will live on
    From one Pete to another

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    What is it exactly you're spraying on to all this stuff? I've got a big tin of electrox zinc primer at my parents for a basecoat, I can't remember what I used on my last car as a top coat but it wasn't very durable. Looking for a better alternative.
    Have a look at BH Epoxy Mastic. Goes over Electrox and Etchweld at treat. I wouldn't use it on outward facing panels but its great for underbody.

Rides
    Have a look at BH Epoxy Mastic. Goes over Electrox and Etchweld at treat. I wouldn't use it on outward facing panels but its great for underbody.

The plan now is to get the bits I need off the old car (I say old, a lot of it is better nick than the new one ) Then Pete can pick it up

Kouki's off. I need to take the hatch lock out and swap the barrels over as they are different

Airbox removed to fit the Apexi induction kit

AFM looks clean as a whistle

Battery box only needs a quick fettle up

I have a Deox C tank on the go, it's great for cleaning plated stuff back to bare metal like the diff cooler pipes

I'm also using it to remove rust from parts like the diff pump mount and bumper mounting bracket

These will have a quick bead blast before primer.
    Pete

Rides
    This is the difference between a Kouki hatch lock and a stock one

Kouki one is at the bottom, extended to allow for the extra depth of the rear trim

To change the barrel so only one key is needed, it's just a case of removing this C clip

Rear lights are held in with 4 nuts and butyl tape. The tape needs heating up to soften it before the lights will come out. Hairdrier is best for this but you need to get things quite warm

Old car jacked ready to swap some parts over. Looks a bit like a production line

Pete

Rides
    Looks a bit like my dream driveway

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'm liking the production line.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    Looks a bit like my dream driveway
    Only trouble is, none of them work

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I'm liking the production line.
    These 2 cars must have come down the Nissan production line not that far apart

The brake backplate on the left, is from this 25K miles, garaged all it's life car
    The one on the right is from my old car, 108K miles, parked on the drive and driven through winter

Kind of makes you think about garages

Took the back box off the Mongoose exhaust, this is going on the new car. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised how easily it came apart

Pete

Rides
    Mongoose is a quality system Mine still shines up lovely after 10 yrs or more.

Rides
    Best sounding exhaust you can get for the CA18DET bar none, IMO. I've never had anything else, nor would I. Got nearly 300bhp on one too

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Does make you wonder about garages. My daily 13 was garaged for a long time and that's a rusty POS but my nice 13 hasn't been garaged that much according to previous owner.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Does make you wonder about garages.
    They need ventilation, otherwise once you've stuck the car away the heat soak makes for a really humid environment which just rots cars.

Rides
    Mongoose gets the then

I need to get the stock exhaust off the car and fit it to Pete C's so it can be driven on the trailer. So, a change of plan

The last SX's I have refurbed have been done in 2 halves. This time I'm going to do the lot in one foul swoop.

Damp garage = rust

Strange car this, it's either completely knackered, or absolutely mint. Turbo heat shield is still on and the plating is still on the gearbox bracket

Door cards off

Everything is perfect inside the doors

One extreme, to another

Started cleaning the Mongoose up, tar spots are easily removed with white spirit

11 Hours today, it's not as easy as it was 10 years ago
    Last edited by Petrol; 08-08-2015 at 20:47.
    Pete