Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The final hurrah – S13, 25K miles, 1 owner from new, full refurb

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    You guys are making very quick work of this! I'm doing a bit of work on my car at the moment, and I have to say the motivation is down to you and the super job you did on your s14a
    I second this! I am going to be doing a refresh of the whole underside (albeit) towards the end of summer but this is and will be my inspiration.

On a sidenote what size compressor do you use when blasting?

Rides
    Thanks guys.

I don't know what size the compressor is as I've had it about 30 years

It's an Ingersoll Rand and says 3" & 1 1/4 X 2 3/4. The receiver is about the size of a 56 gallon drum. Blasting uses huge amounts of air and despite the big tank, it only lasts a few minutes before it needs to catch up.
    If your blasting the bigger the better

Took the front seats out, pretty pleased with the condition

Console out

Got rid of the rust in the rear arch seams and primed them with Electrox

I often get asked about stripping underseal and seam sealer. This knotty wire wheel makes short work of it. The downside is, it also removes the paint and e-coat. I only used this where there was evidence of rust

This was followed by a quick once over with a filament brush

There's still a bit of pitting but blasting will remove the rest of the rust.
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Echoning everyone else here Pete. I loved what you did to the 14a and i can see that this is going to be just as good. Really pleased that this is being saved from a life of doom being smashed into cones at pod

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Tim View Post
    Echoning everyone else here Pete. I loved what you did to the 14a and i can see that this is going to be just as good. Really pleased that this is being saved from a life of doom being smashed into cones at pod
    +1 for what Random tim said...

You are doing an amazing job with this S13!

Keep up the great work Pete

Rides
    Thanks for the encouragement I'm not doing this on my own though, Mika is also on it

Handbrake cable comes to bits like this

Next was to take the carpet out and a decision had to be made. To properly remove the carpet the dash has to come out. This means removing all the clocks and it's a big job. Decided to go for an easier option of cutting it under the heater. Doing this means the dash can be left in

This was cut using these tin snips which were sharpened first. Bit better than scissors

It's like a time warp in here

The carpet needs cleaning. We are using a strong solution of biological washing powder to do this. It's just a case of pouring it on and leaving it a few days

It's tempting to scrub it but doing this runs the risk of "furring" up the pile. It's best to just leave it. Also, glued to the back of the carpet is this sound deadening.

Lifting the carpet up whilst this is wet will rip it off so it's best to wash the soap powder off and let it dry first.
    Pete

Rides
    Bead blasting

Bit more ready for primer

Rear bumper stiffener, this was badly pitted

OS rear brake backplate is knackered. If anyone has one that's seen better days, let me know

Pete

Rides
    I should have some backplates off my 180. I don't think they're perfect but should clean up, you're welcome to them if I can find them

edit:

thinking on, the rear brakes on the 180 are like the S14, not drums, may not be the same, will check and let you know.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 28-06-2015 at 19:24.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I got a new rear bumper stiffener from Nissan last year. It was about £30 IIRC.

Sometimes Nissan is a cheap and simple source of parts.

EDIT : Just found the receipt for it, I think.

Part Number 85242 40F00 Retainer - Rear B £9.10

So £9 not £30
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 28-06-2015 at 21:04.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    I should have some backplates off my 180. I don't think they're perfect but should clean up, you're welcome to them if I can find them

edit:

thinking on, the rear brakes on the 180 are like the S14, not drums, may not be the same, will check and let you know.
    They are different then S13 has shoes that fit onto the back plate for the handbrake. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I got a new rear bumper stiffener from Nissan last year. It was about £30 IIRC.

Sometimes Nissan is a cheap and simple source of parts.

EDIT : Just found the receipt for it, I think.

Part Number 85242 40F00 Retainer - Rear B £9.10

So £9 not £30
    I phoned up for a cambelt and was told they are NLA. Maybe they have stuff in stock that's been there ages. Will give them a call, thanks.
    Pete

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Don't stageas run the same rear set up? May open up your options a little.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    For a cambelt get the Gates kit off ebay.

I'm on my 4th Gates kit. They're quality and include the tensioners for around £110 or just the belt for £30.

Rides
    I got a cambelt off Nissan a month or so ago so I would of thought still be available. As JW says gates are good quality though.

Rides
    Interesting read. Especially the Chlor x stuff. Pete what do u use to remove salt crystals? Or is this just a sales pitch?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I must be one of few people who didn't cut the carpet taking it out, without removing the dash that is

Looking good anyway!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I must be one of few people who didn't cut the carpet taking it out, without removing the dash that is

Looking good anyway!
    You are going to have to tell us how as this topic has popped up a few times!

Perhaps detail it in tech s13 so it can be made a sticky

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    You are going to have to tell us how as this topic has popped up a few times!

Perhaps detail it in tech s13 so it can be made a sticky
    I'm sure with sufficient patience and skinned knuckles you could get the little bolts undone and wiggle the carpet out through the gap.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Don't stageas run the same rear set up? May open up your options a little.
    Not sure but I would have thought the part No would be the same. I will give Nissan a call

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I got a cambelt off Nissan a month or so ago so I would of thought still be available. As JW says gates are good quality though.
    OK thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Interesting read. Especially the Chlor x stuff. Pete what do u use to remove salt crystals? Or is this just a sales pitch?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Never heard of this before. By the time I have wire brushed, used Deox gel and bead blasted, I cant see how any deposits could be left on the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I'm sure with sufficient patience and skinned knuckles you could get the little bolts undone and wiggle the carpet out through the gap.
    I thought of that and tried removing the bolts that hold the dash to the tunnel. I gave up though in fear of damaging the dash.

After wire brushing and using deox gel, managed to get a big section bead blasted today

Followed by 2 coats of Electrox

Wheel arches needed a lot of work. We had to apply the gel twice

Things always look better when you slap some paint on
    Pete

Rides
    It's been a few year since I sold my S14, so I don't check these forums too often anymore. But now that you're back with another project, I will be watching with great interest! Can't wait for more updates! Great work so far, Pete!

Rides
    What a find! Great work as always!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Any more progress?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue