Thread: How much £££ to forge an sr bottom end.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

How much £££ to forge an sr bottom end.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much it costs in parts to forge an sr bottom end? I've never taken an engine apart so have next to no idea as to what's involved including the costs.

If I were to do this I'd like to make the engine safe for 600bhp for longevity, I like the idea of going 2.2 etc but again what extra costs are involved?

If someone has a shopping list for the bottom end then even better
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    My forged ca build cost around 5500 budget another 1k if you want a stroker. That was new forged pistons and rods, genuine new gaskets and oil/water pumps, cosmetic mls, fully built head with springs port Polish yadayadayada

It's not cheap at all, small things add up very quickly, and there's a hell of alot of stuff to replace especially when going for 600ish, even down to new custom fuel rail and intake manifold work etc.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    cheers mate. I'm talking purely for the bottom end parts though. My head had work a couple years ago and should be up to the job I'd hope. Intake/fueling etc is another issue too. I've mentioned 600bhp as I'd want to have plenty of headroom as realistically I can't see the car going over 500bhp in my ownership.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Really does depend on what parts you are using Chris, apex stroker kits seem reasonable at £1500 but you still need machine work gaskets and bearing easily 2k for everything if it was just pistons rods bearings and a head gasket maybe around £1300.

That's if you were doing it yourself

Rides
    Depends how much work you're going to get done by garage, but a drive in drive out rebuild on a stock engine was £2500 so add on the price of whatever bits you are putting in and you should be about right

Rides
    Just rods and pistons aren't that bad, maybe counter in going slight over size on the pistons just to gain a little capacity, 1mm maybe. then just factor the cost of the labour to have the block prepped/skimmed, maybe the head too, all the bearing shells, crank balance, all new oil/water pumps and seals n gaskets

Rides
    Pretty sure apex don't do the stroker kits anymore. Hell I don't think they sell a tenth of anything listed anymore as their more distributors now.

I'd honestly have 5k set aside and be prepared to go over, but also have a chance of being under.

Rides
    5-10k the labour charges are a steep if your not doing it yourself.

I like the 90/91mm bore over the stroker crank but it does mean having sleeves fitted which end cheap but cp pistons do a good deal on the pistons

Rides
    3.5-5 keeping the stock crank
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 03-06-2015 at 00:52.

Rides
    Making an engine safe for 600bhp you're realistically going to need to think about sleeving it, and that's even more than these budgets above. It's also a bucket tonne of money to get to 500bhp when you stack it up, so think realistically about what you will ever financially commit to.

In your shoes, I would consider this:

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=129

Rides
    Reliable 600bhp out of a 2.0 4 pot? Dont even bother wasting your money

You need 6 or 8 cylinders IMO The further you go north of 400bhp on a SR the less you will drive it
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    One for sale on fb at 600 quid

Rides
    tbh, I think if you want something that is going to be anything like reliable, shooting for more than 225hp/l is bonkers. At those sorts of outputs, everything starts going against you.

For reference, a 2.2l stroker on Jez's site is a little over 7k. That gives you options for something really driveable at 450hp or so... but is it really worth it? Debatable.

I guess the question is what do you want out of it? Having loads of power is great for a conversation but actually using it is another thing entirely.

Rides
    Mazworz quoted me 15k including manifold and turbo for a Sr23

But a v8 with single turbo could get me upto 700hp for 5 grand including ecu, turbo, wastegates, gearbox,rads,intercooler,cams, port and polish ect

So mark might be right