Thread: Exhaust Elbow Doesn't Line Up CA18DET

Rides

Exhaust Elbow Doesn't Line Up CA18DET

So after alot of swearing and shit falling in my eyes i finally got my standard downpipe/elbow off. I then go to test fit the elbow to find it sits way off centre and almost touches the chassis rail. My downpipe sits in the middle so I presume my elbow is wrong. How can I tell what it should be for so i can sell it on AND what is the best brand of elbow to get, do apex ones still exist?

Rides
    You've not got an S14 one have you??

There's often been problems with aftermarket exhaust bits, sometimes you need to get an elbow and downpipe from the same company.

Rides
    Well that's what i presume. Lesson learnt, don't buy toyosport parts. The fit doesn't have to be too perfect as im cutting them up and welding a flexi in but this was wayy off.

So my new question is where to I buy one from? Do i risk another company on eBay and get a £50 elbow or do i spend £90 on an Apex one? are there really any difference? Surely apex ones come out of the same Chinese factory as the eBay ones?

Rides
    Be careful with bits falling in your eyes, i learnt that lesson in A&E when the 180 tried to blind me lol. Now wear goggles under the car!

Rides
    I got a toyosports one and its fine. They must of sent you an s14 one, s14,s14a and s13 elbows are all different.

Are you using standard mani?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrps13 View Post
    Be careful with bits falling in your eyes, i learnt that lesson in A&E when the 180 tried to blind me lol. Now wear goggles under the car!
    Aha I know that feeling, my girlfriends corsa tried to kill me when I changed her exhaust. I've tried the goggles thing but the constant steaming up got annoying pretty quickly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    I got a toyosports one and its fine. They must of sent you an s14 one, s14,s14a and s13 elbows are all different.

Are you using standard mani?
    I don't know if that's more annoying or not :/ it's the standard manifold with standard t25. Gonna order another eBay special tonight so I can get it quickly and hopefully still get it welded up this week

Rides
    I had a similar problem - I had an XS Power manifold and no XS Power Elbow, so the non XS Power elbow I had ended up nowhere near the downpipe and into the gearbox!

I did get an XS Power elbow in the end, and it did make the downpipe line up with the elbow properly - it seems some of the cheaper aftermarket brands require you to have the full setup for it to actually line up - not to mention the whole manifold/turbo/elbow setup sat way closer to the block, which was a pain in the ass!

I actually ended up going back to a stock mani and a Japspeed elbow, at least for now. Fits like a glove! Worth checking if it's a similar story with yours, or just double checking they sent you the right one, as said above.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywes View Post
    I had a similar problem - I had an XS Power manifold and no XS Power Elbow, so the non XS Power elbow I had ended up nowhere near the downpipe and into the gearbox!

I did get an XS Power elbow in the end, and it did make the downpipe line up with the elbow properly - it seems some of the cheaper aftermarket brands require you to have the full setup for it to actually line up - not to mention the whole manifold/turbo/elbow setup sat way closer to the block, which was a pain in the ass!

I actually ended up going back to a stock mani and a Japspeed elbow, at least for now. Fits like a glove! Worth checking if it's a similar story with yours, or just double checking they sent you the right one, as said above.
    So the japspeed elbows are decent then? The flanges are flat and it sits central?

Rides
    As said quite often different brands don't match up, with my 14a the japspeed elbow flange was 20degree out compared to the hks downpipe which matched the standard elbow perfectly

Rides
    Japspeed are infamous rather than famous for their build quality and fit.

As said above, get a matching set of elbow and downpipe. Apex and 800bhp seem to be the pick of the aftermarket bunch but if you are going to start cutting it about...