Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure which exhaust to choose

Rides

Not sure which exhaust to choose

Hi there,

I cant decide which exhaust to get, Blitz nur spec R or HKS hi power? Ive been told the Blitz exhaust is way too loud and above the legal DB limit, but a very good make, but im not sure what the HKS hi power is like?

Rides
    The blitz nur spec isn't above legal Db rate to my knowledge pal my mates got one on his s14a

His was loud but he took centre box out, is de-catted and 3'' downpipe and manifold I've got a apex exhaust admittedly it's not quite as nice cosmetically as the blitz as that has a ever so slight slash cut to it. Mine is decatted too with a custom made downpipe and manifold (turbo is top mounted) and even though mine is 'loud' it's not as loud as the blitz system or as expensive IMO

I've never had any experiences with the HKS Hi-power system so can't comment on that one, if your whole system is standard at the moment and u only goin for a cat back and want performance but quiet id say either go for a mongoose slash cut oval system there a quieter sporty sound or even approach a exhaust fabricator to get a quote for a system to your own taste mate

Mongoose cat back is about 375 ish
    Apex car back (like mine) is about 250 ish
    I guess custom made systems can have a varied price dependant on what you go for I know of 3 near me I'm in stockport, Manchester UK

TopGear Stockport in bredbury, Stockport
    Cybox Exhausts in Bromborough, Merseyside
    JP Exhausts in Macclesfield, Stockport

All very skilled workshops mate, hope some of that might be useful too you mate sorry if it's not I rambled a bit lol

Danny

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by d-lo_200sx View Post
    The blitz nur spec isn't above legal Db rate to my knowledge pal my mates got one on his s14a

His was loud but he took centre box out, is de-catted and 3'' downpipe and manifold I've got a apex exhaust admittedly it's not quite as nice cosmetically as the blitz as that has a ever so slight slash cut to it. Mine is decatted too with a custom made downpipe and manifold (turbo is top mounted) and even though mine is 'loud' it's not as loud as the blitz system or as expensive IMO

I've never had any experiences with the HKS Hi-power system so can't comment on that one, if your whole system is standard at the moment and u only goin for a cat back and want performance but quiet id say either go for a mongoose slash cut oval system there a quieter sporty sound or even approach a exhaust fabricator to get a quote for a system to your own taste mate

Mongoose cat back is about 375 ish
    Apex car back (like mine) is about 250 ish
    I guess custom made systems can have a varied price dependant on what you go for I know of 3 near me I'm in stockport, Manchester UK

TopGear Stockport in bredbury, Stockport
    Cybox Exhausts in Bromborough, Merseyside
    JP Exhausts in Macclesfield, Stockport

All very skilled workshops mate, hope some of that might be useful too you mate sorry if it's not I rambled a bit lol

Danny

Oh right i see, no this is all great info cheers, yeah i dont have a problem with an exhaust being loud, just not too loud that it goes over the legal limit and i get pulled over loads lol, Yeah Apex exhaust was another i was looking at, do they sound similar to the Blitz nur spec?, to be honest i would love a video of each one to see what they sound like haha.

Rides
    I personally love the sound of the nur spec. Quite a few people I know have them and they are close to being the perfect exhaust. When inside the car they really aren't that loud either. The hks also sounds awesome but had less gurgle and turbo noise

Rides
    I would give you videos but my cars engine is in pieces at the moment might be able to sort a video of my mates car for you, neither go above the legal limit with the silencers (boxes) they come with obviously it will go louder with removal of these, both are loud enough to satisfy a powerful sound but as for clear pitch it not only depends on which system you pick but also the spec level of the engine my mates is the blitz system, he went from stage3a to a fully forged build with GTX3076 turbo and a custom map and the sound of the car did change (for the better, but still always sounded nice)

I think personally even though the blitz is more money I think that one you'd be most happy with mate

Rides
    I didn't think there was a legal road noise limit, I think it's all discretion of the investigating officer. In fact, I think it's more the case that anything above standard noise should technically not be allowed on a road vehicle.

Nur Spec is noisy though. Won't make you popular with the neighbours.

Rides
    I swapped out my HKS Hi Power for a Nur Spec and I love it! So shouty and aggressive, so much turbo noise threw the exhaust too! My and my girlfriend both have Nur specs on our 200s, not sure how happy the neighbours are about it lol. As said before what's done engine wise makes the sound of the system change, mine sounds much more shouty and straight threw than my girlfriends, mines on tomei 270 cams, tubular manifold, GT2871r etc etc. Just makes a much more aggressive note!

Rides
    Try out a Buddy Club Spec 2 if you want quiet....

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    Try out a Buddy Club Spec 2 if you want quiet....
    Lol

Look at Titanium systems 😉

They sound the best

I hear good things about the nur spec r

Although I believe there are different variations of it?

The buddy club is either THE loudest or in the top 3 loudest systems you can get for the 200sx. I think it had been recorded as loud as 118dbs

But don't quote me.. I remember reading about it somewhere on here!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by d-lo_200sx View Post
    I would give you videos but my cars engine is in pieces at the moment might be able to sort a video of my mates car for you, neither go above the legal limit with the silencers (boxes) they come with obviously it will go louder with removal of these, both are loud enough to satisfy a powerful sound but as for clear pitch it not only depends on which system you pick but also the spec level of the engine my mates is the blitz system, he went from stage3a to a fully forged build with GTX3076 turbo and a custom map and the sound of the car did change (for the better, but still always sounded nice)

I think personally even though the blitz is more money I think that one you'd be most happy with mate
    Ah right fair enough mate, yeah that would be good if i could hear your mates silvia with the nur spev exhaust 😀, yeah i do like them and probably will go with that exhaust haha, just wanted to see what it sounds like

Rides
    I had a NUR spec and loved it, however mine and a few other's reported the baffles falling out, i eventually ended up with an ebay special (some £150 or so) which i bought second hand and it sounds amazing..IMO better than the NUR

edit: it did require a tiny amount of welded to get it to fit properly (done by steveCRC(original owner)

Rides
    Nothing wrong with a Buddyclub Spec 2. Had one for around 4 years with no trouble off the police. They're handy for people who are on the phone sat in traffic.

Joking aside. Completely pointless if you're wanting to track your car. I'm probably going to change to an Apexi N1 or an HKS system at some point.

Rides
    I do think out of the ss systems the nur spec is the best sounding exhaust! But the hks does have a nice note to it if you run a tubular manifold.

My favourite exhaust for the sr20 is the tomei ti titanium but you're looking at 800+ and you'll need a downpipe making for it too lol.

I got a custom made exhaust using a japspeed decat silencer and its surprisingly quiet when cruising, no worse than a 100 quid ebay special i had on previously. But makes an awesome raspy note when on full chat, but i guess the top mount manifold and td05 turbo helps that out a bit!

Rides
    Out of interest why does the tomei system need a downpipe making? Thought it was a bolt on jobby? Was thinking about possible investment.
    Also have a nur spec fitted by my god it drones!!

Rides
    I've got a Nur Spec R which has had the silencer taken out and I've got a decat as well. It sounds good.

Rides
    The silencer was taken out as it kept scraping. The Japspeed parts didn't help it all sit right.

Rides
    Get a nur spec with a bung for trackday noise tests and mot. Loved mine.

Rides
    I have a custom made shotgun exhaust purely because no exhaust I liked out there was what I fancied.

But to be more relevant to your post My mates SR s13 has a Nur Spec R on it and I love the sound of it when it opens up I'd probably go for the nur spec tbh over the hi power personally imo
    Last edited by mike_je94; 03-06-2015 at 20:22.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Mark D View Post
    Out of interest why does the tomei system need a downpipe making? Thought it was a bolt on jobby? Was thinking about possible investment.
    Also have a nur spec fitted by my god it drones!!
    Well it doesn't as such, and yes it should be a bolt on jobbie, but if you're running reasonably low then there isn't many downpipes out there that sit nice and tight to the chassis, and i also would run a flexi section in the downpipe to save the turbo gaskets failing