Thread: Should i Decat my s14a?

Rides

Should i Decat my s14a?

Hi there,

I'm not sure if should decat my car? I know it makes it louder and pop and bang a little, but cant it blow up your engine if you decide to give it some beans and rev high?

Flamethrower
    Rides
    I have run decats on most of my cars, never blew it lol..... Why would it blow your engine?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron200sx View Post
    Hi there,

I'm not sure if should decat my car? I know it makes it louder and pop and bang a little, but cant it blow up your engine if you decide to give it some beans and rev high?
    Id say 99% of the cars on here run with a decat, other than for the MOT, and have done for years.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosky View Post
    I have run decats on most of my cars, never blew it lol..... Why would it blow your engine?
    Ah right okay, well i got told the only thing that is stopping your car from blowing up is your waste gate, but the guy who told me does talk alot of bs haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron200sx View Post
    Ah right okay, well i got told the only thing that is stopping your car from blowing up is your waste gate, but the guy who told me does talk alot of bs haha
    Some cars/engines can suffer from boost creep or boost spikes depending on the setup, if it's bad enough it can cause engine damage. A restriction in the exhaust can help control it (depending how you look at it).
    This isn't an really an issue in our cars.

Rides
    On supra/soarer's the cats act as part of the restriction systems for the turbos...they have tiny wastegates on them.so once you remove both the cats they can over boost like crazy. But on our cars you can decat it and it will be fine no issues at all.

Rides
    your 14a actually has 2 cats so to by pass both you need an aftermarket downpipe and de-cat pipe.
    Recommend getting an S14 turbo elbow and down pipe and they are a better fit than the 14a ones due to the tight bend elbow

Rides
    I've just fitted a decat to mine, it does make a difference, only thing you might want to take into consideration is because it removes a lot of back pressure it puts more strain on the turbo (no much) so if your turbo is on it's last legs it can seal it's fate but unless it's fooked you'll be fine.

Defo work doing though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    I've just fitted a decat to mine, it does make a difference, only thing you might want to take into consideration is because it removes a lot of back pressure it puts more strain on the turbo (no much) so if your turbo is on it's last legs it can seal it's fate but unless it's fooked you'll be fine.

Defo work doing though
    It actually put less strain on the turbine shaft having less back pressure. It is now free with out having to spin through pressure if you know what I mean. It will however spin a little faster as in the boost will increase slightly.

Rides
    Agreed Red, I guess I didn't make myself very clear, either way you have to watch with a turbo on its last legs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk