Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new gearbox is whining

Rides

new gearbox is whining

Hi I've just put on a gearbox brought 2nd hand. The person I brought it off, ensure me it was good.im getting a horrible noise when off the clutch. Noise goes when pressing the clutch in. Had a look on the Internet. There a loads of mixed msgs about what the problem is. Input shaft or release bearing. I'm confused.

I used my old release bearing because, only brought it in December.

Rides
    Usually if it goes away when clutch is depressed isn't it the release bearing?

Rides
    sounds like a release bearing

Rides
    Thanks for the reply. But this is where um confused. I thought if the clutch wasn't engaged (foot off pedal) the bearing not doing anything. But when you press down on the clutch, the bearing is then in use. So his new box is making a noise when off the clutch, then goes away when pressing on the clutch. So I think it's the input bearing.

Rides
    nope, what you have described above is classic release bearing symptoms

either way your going to have to take the box off to fix it, you will be able to test the release bearing for smoothness when you split the engine and box,

in any case if you had to go to the trouble of splitting the box and engine i would replace the release bearing anyways.
    Last edited by 59bhp; 19-05-2015 at 15:03.

Rides
    I made this mistake and replaced my gearbox without thinking about the release bearing and the new gearbox whines lol, fail.

Rides
    To be honest. If you got the time do both.

Box has to come off anyway, so why not make it longer until its off again?

Rides
    Probably a bearing in the box, either input or countershaft. I changed the input shaft bearing on a box I bought off some complete prick. 'Silent' he said, then I fitted it and it whined it's tits off. Unfortunately even the new input shaft bearing didn't fix it, so £50 for a bearing down the drain.

Rides

Rides
    You paid £50 for a input shaft bearing!?!? You do realise any bearing supplier would probably do them for about £4? Last time I got one for a ca box I took the old bearing to a shop and the replacement was about 3 quid lol. 50 is blatant robbery

Rides
    Think I paid about 25 for the input bearing on mine, genuine. It did help the whining on idle, but didn't help the big noise/vibration on overrun in 4th.
    If it's whining with your foot off the clutch then it's definitely not the release bearing. Think about it, under this condition the bearing is tucked back against the g'box front plate doing nothing at all.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    You paid £50 for a input shaft bearing!?!? You do realise any bearing supplier would probably do them for about £4? Last time I got one for a ca box I took the old bearing to a shop and the replacement was about 3 quid lol. 50 is blatant robbery
    Genuine Nissan. Getting one with the correct cut out was proving a pain so I just got the correct one from Nissan. Easier that way, but funnily enough I did try many places before, as I'm not completely stupid.

Rides
    Really confused now. Been looking on other forums. what I can gather is, if the input shaft bearing is at fault. The noise should go when in 4th gear while driving (off the clucth). If the noise is still there in all gears and foot still off the clucth, it could be a counter bearing. And if you only get a noise when your foot on the clutch it'll be the release bearing.

Does this sound right? Or have I got at all wrong.

Rides
    When you fitted the box were both of the gearbox to block dowels in place. Mine whined after a clutch change and it turned out one of dowels hadnt gone back in so the box was slightly misalinged and that caused the whine

Rides
    No. There was none on the new box. Did you put them back in? Did it solve the problem?

Rides
    If the noise goes in 4th, it can hint it's the countershaft bearing not the input shaft. Input shaft bearing will be in all gears.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mull View Post
    No. There was none on the new box. Did you put them back in? Did it solve the problem?
    Yes just one of mine was missing and it was enough to make it whine, it also wore the front face of the clutch release bearing so had to change that as well. Despite what some people will tell you they both need to be in place. Put a new bearing in and both dowels

Rides
    I've just had another test. The car sill in the air (on axel stands) the noise sort of goes when in 4th. There is a vibration on the whole car in all gears. So might be them dowel things.been not in alignment. Going to try put them dowels back in and see how it is. Fingers crossed lol

Rides
    Right box back off. My release bearing spins freely. Like if you flick your finger on it, it will spin on it own. Is that a good sign or not? Should there be some resistance

Clutch looks good. No visually defects

Rides
    I must be really lucky, my gearbox is on 153,000 miles on my S14a and I don't get any whining at all