Thread: What clutch for up to 500bhp

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

What clutch for up to 500bhp

My act hd organic is beginning to slip even at low boost now due to being on its limit power wise and used with launch control so its time for a new one.

I've been thinking of going for a twin plate or something like the exeedy hyper single.

I'd like to keep a close to oem pedal feel ideally as I hate heavy clutches (like my current hd organic) but is rated to around 500bhp so its future proofed.

Any suggestions?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Can't recommend the Hyper Single enough Chris. Holds my power fine and the pedal is more or less the same feel as an OEM clutch. No more dead legs in traffic. Not sure if it'll cope with 500bhp though. I intended on not going any further in power, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Rides
    Os Giken street master twin with hard pressure plate. I've had one in mine for a while now and can't fault it. For a twin its piss easy to use and has very little rattle. Personally I wouldn't use a single for that power

Rides
    ACT heavy duty with 6 puk sprung clutch disc? I've got an Extreme and that is not friendly but its rated to 550 ft/lbs or something, thje heavy duty is a bit less andI think more friendly for the road. Paddle clutch disc is less likely to break grip also if kicking its head in skidding

Rides
    OS Giken TS2BD.

Rides
    ACT Again?

Just bought this for my RB build. Rated for 535ft/lbs.

The guy i spoke to on the phone runs one at 510bhp at wheels with an unskimmed fly due to panicking to get on road.

http://www.autoextreme.co.uk/act-nis...e-clutch-kit_1
    Last edited by zeldoz; 19-05-2015 at 11:04.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The extreme is the one with the heavy pedal. It's also a paddle clutch I believe so would drive how I'd like it to. I want the moon on a stick basically
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    RPS 6 puck paddle here. Been holding 400 torques all day long for a number of years now. Switched over from a ACT extreme that couldn't cope with the power and gave me a very muscular left leg. Not sure RPS still exist but I'm posting in defence of paddle clutches in general. Pedal feels really nice, not too firm and not too soft. No problem at all pulling away or sitting in traffic. Don't think I've ever stalled and it's never slipped. Fitted it with a DW lightened fly, DW clutch line, uprated pivot and fresh fluid. Will more than likely look for something very similar when it eventually gives up.

Competition clutch maybe?

Rides
    I can't comment on a s body clutch but i had a os giken twin plate in my old rx7 and that was much nicer than the current stage 5 competition 6 puk clutch i currently have in my 180!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Os Giken street master twin with hard pressure plate. I've had one in mine for a while now and can't fault it. For a twin its piss easy to use and has very little rattle. Personally I wouldn't use a single for that power
    This one?

http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-str...d-bearing.html

Rides
    I have ACT extreme pressure plate with Carbonetic blade disc. Sure it's heavier than OEM, but nothing too bad once you get used to it. And the carbon disc offers the best qualities from both paddle and organic disc...

Rides
    Got an S15 6 speed Hyper single and S13-14 HKS 5 speed twin plate if you're interested.
    Member 504

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Spoke to you about the s15 clutch before but it doesn't work on an s14 iirc. What's the hks like?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    That's the soft version, will probably be like a stock clutch. I can't remember what the soft is rated to, but I'm around that power and went with the hard to be safe. Shame you're not a bit closer, you could have a go in mine

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'm over specing the clutch tbh mate. Bored of swapping clutches every 5-10k miles. I'm hoping to go to about 450ish bhp so the soft may be up to it as it's rated to 500bhp.

Rides
    My ORC 709 is holding up well, but isn't a nice clutch.

Cheaper than most of the alternatives mind...