Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Mats red s14a long term project

Rides
    Yhe having a running nissan is over rated. A red rusty paperweight however......

Rides
    So work has been going on slowly, Iv had to remove some of the sound deadening in the car, I had to get some of the floor up anyway for some welding repairs so took the opportunity to get it all of the floors so it will all be replaced with new sound deadening when the interior goes back together.

Now the car has gone away for some welding work. It's gone to Billy at HDF to have the rear tubs redone, front tubs done and the bay smoothed. Can't wait to get it back with tubs done but it may take a while so will probably be back with me after Christmas.

So in the meantime Iv been spending on some stuff and it's now its all sitting in the corner of my room which had now been dubbed car part corner.

So firstly I have a full yellow sr20 hose kit, replace all the old hoses with nice new ones.

Next up I have an apex performance sr inlet, brought for a steal in there mega clearance. It looks like it's been in storage for ages so needs a clean up but will be lovely.

Also I have a new fuel rail and injector setup, brought of a member of here. Full fuel rail, fuel lines and 850cc injectors so should be more than enough for what I'm aiming for at the moment.

Also brought another gauge for my collection, temprature gauge this time so boost and another temp to go.

Next up I have a set of genuine ganador mirrors. Wasn't on my list to get but I have always liked them so when they came up for sale I took the opportunity to aquire a set.

Lastly iv always been a fan of a big wing, as people may know from the Megan racing wing I used to have on the car. So the only was is up as they say so I took advantage of a black Friday deal and brought one of the wings from battle aero in America. I won't get any pictures of mine as I can't be arsed to unpack it from the box so here's a picture from there website do you get the idea.

Also a picture of the Koenigs with the centre caps and everything fitted. There lovey

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mathew8717; 08-12-2017 at 20:47.

Rides
    So going to update this ASAP, progress has been made finally.

In the mean time check this professional rust repair that I had done, top work there ����

Last edited by mathew8717; 19-02-2018 at 12:54.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice quality repair that
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    So an update finally, things have happened and should continue to now which is nice.

Car came back from HDF after having the tubs done and the bay holes welded up, nice to deal with someone who knows what they’re doing and does a proper job at the work he does. Tubs look ace and is shouting out for paint.

Next up was getting all the glass out of the car, phoned some glass company’s for a removal price and nearly fell over when autoglass came up with a quote, £888 quid to remove 4 windows so that was a swift no. Found a guy local who came out and did it for 40 quid so quite a bit cheaper. side windows are a pain due to the location tabs apparently but got there in the end with no damage.

Also found out that the cars had a dodgy widescreen replacement at some time in its life, along the top of the widow wasn’t really sealed in there was about half of the sealant that should have neem there missing so that explains one of the leaks I had.

Now it was ready to go on the roll over jig, so all subframes, arms and fuel tank were taken off to again be powder coated, there dirty after all.

Then then it was break out the jig, build it up and make the mounts to fit the car. Then lift it up into the air and onto the jig, which I might add its terrifying. But an engine crane makes it much easier.

So it was just a universal jig which I can imagine may have been designed for a smaller car so there was an issue, the brace bar that goes along to brace the two ends of the jig together was right in the way when wanting to roll it all the way over so we have had to modify it to suit, shoulda just built one but hey ho its done now and safe.

Now it was over and safe we started stripping back underseal and investigated the rust repairs and other rot. As I said found some pretty impressive rust repairs so that’s nice to have to deal with. Its not that bad though so it will be done soon and undersealed up for more years of rot free motoring.

Iv also been collecting more parts to go back on so I have picked up a link G4+ ecu, may as well go for the best after all. should be a nice edition to the car when its all done.

Next up a set of brand new Tomei Pocams, should give a nice upgrade with springs and retainers.

Also have a power steering relocation kit from Taarks, it drops the PAS pump down to the air con pump location so makes for more room for top mount turbo and IC pipes.

Next up a Chase bays power steering reservoir with all new lines and steering rack hard line replacement kit. Should neaten up the bay a bit over the factory ones that are all faded and look a bit crap.

And lastly I have brought my tyres, being a member at Costco has its perks with offers so 100 quid off 4 tyres couldn’t be sniffed at. Iv gone for Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3s, fronts will be 225/40/18 and rears will be 265/35/18. First time I’ve ever brought decent tyres before so seemed like a good time to invest in some decent rubber.

Thats about all for now, hoping to make quick process with this now, want to get it back on the floor asap so that we can start putting things back on it, will be nice to put stuff back on for a change. Im still on the lookout for a suitable turbo so hopefully i can get one soon.

Any rust repair tips will be greatly received. Obviously not crying into the rust is a start, will only make things worse after all.
    Last edited by mathew8717; 15-04-2018 at 21:45.

Rides
    holy crap, two years ago since i updated this. right, um i dint know if i can remember exactly whats been done but ill see what i can do.

The car currently isn't with me, and hasn't been for over a year now. its having the welding done at a friends unit. Matt at @TeamHanginLoose, check him out, hes a good lad making proper custom parts for s chassis and alike. He doesn't usually do rust repairs so its a favor really so its taking a little while, but its getting there, it now has sills which is a bit of a novelty. its getting rear chassis notch to increase clearance. its also getting the front tubs re done, again. the tubs were done previously but there were some issues that were highlighted with them, the tubs just are not level or symmetrical, they do not end on the same height on the turret and it just wont do, so unfortunately for me at least its got to be re done. yet again more fab work done poorly which is a shame, iv not been lucky with people. hopefully it wont be to long before its back now.

getting it there in the rain wasn't the most fun

every sub frame and arm for under the car has been re powder coated, the front and rear knuckles have been replaced for @THL Rokku drop knuckles and extended front lower arms. powder coat is a mixture of the bronze of the wheels and some silver as well to brake it up a little. should be smart.

engine is basically ready to go in for mock-up, got the new inlet, manifold, waste-gate, turbo so that's waiting to go in when the rust is gone.

other than that not massive amounts of progress has been made which is a shame, but as soon as its back home i feel like some progress will finally be made.

in the mean time i got a bit bored of not having something fun to drive so i managed to pick up an E36 drift car local, atchilly it was another car that Matt @THL built and maintained for several years, and i have to say, having said that i would never own a 'shitty bmw' i have to say i have absolutely fallen in love with it. for all its faults, it sounds awful as all 6 pot bms do, it rattles and its highly impractical but to drive its amazing, i love how it looks and to learn to do a drift in its been faultless.

then brought another s14a, this ones a bit more drifty as well, fully stripped and caged, lots of lock, full standalone you get the idea. was built by driftworks 10 years ago from what i have managed to find online for students at Birmingham uni, and since being built by driftworks it got caged then it basically sat in dry storage at the uni. so iv gotta decide exactly what to do with it. getting it running properly then probably selling it on. if anyone recognises the car id love some more info on it. this is what i found online about it - https://www.driftworks.com/blog/2010...gham-city-uni/

thats about all for now, just felt like i needed to update this after far far to long. hopefuly next post the car will be back and the interior will be painted. we shall see.
    Last edited by mathew8717; 17-04-2020 at 16:39.

Rides
    Good progress mate, a good update. Haven’t heard of those knuckles before. Look like DW Geo2s. Where did you get those Ganadors
    From? They’re not my old ones are they?

Rides
    Right, its been a while since iv updated this. I have been meaning to get some time to sit down and go through everything that’s gone one and quite frankly I cant remember what happened and when, its been that long. So, ill just try and list some key bits and upload some photos. And to cut a long story short its now taxed, insured, mot’d and iv driven it, still don’t actually believe that but there we go.

Car got welded, re tubbed again, primed, seam sealed and under sealed.

Interior got painted and sound deadened, including doors, roof, rear quarters and boot. Engine bay got prepped and smoothed, front frame rails were also clearanced at this point for maximum drop on the air suspension.

Got it rolling, air suspension all fitted and engine dropped in. Saucy

Body panels arrived from the mother land. expensive

Went back for custom fab, full exhaust, custom intercooler set-up, jacking bars.

Interior got re trimmed to match the confetti s I already had, rear seats, door cards and a couple other bits with genuine recaro materials

Body and bay got painted and then suspension and engine was fitted for good. All paint was taken care off by the guys at the paint lab in Salisbury, Liam and jack put some serious effort in on this and there work was flawless throughout the whole process. wouldn't go anywhere else for paint, they truly worked miracles to make it into what it is today.

Wiring was fitted and tucked, Phil at XDR motors in sailsbry. Cant speak well enough of Phil, honest hard working guy, will recommend to anyone and will be returning with more cars in the future.

Kit was painted as well as custom rocker cover

Car mapped bh HPworx, again great guys. Worked there magic. Car made 396 before it was turned down so its around 356 at the moment.

Kit was fitted up and everything else fitted along with all the stupid small stuff that goes along with it. We had a show deadline to meet

Picked the car up the morning of its first show and headed to Telford for jap performance show, we made it. Relax.

After that its been to some more shows, won a couple of awards and has done about 150 miles with mostly no issues before winter. 2023 will be the year of using it finally so looking forward to getting out in it and seeing everyone again, its been far to long.

Last edited by mathew8717; 23-01-2023 at 14:19.

Rides
    Superb mate, superb. Looks fabulously well done, what a lovely update.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice work. Amazing that you stuck with it and the finished product is spot on.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    thanks guys, was a long road but got there in the end, as with everything there is still stuff with it im not 100% done with yet but getting there. currently spending weekends re plumbing the air suspension, re wiring and updating some of the fuel system to improve reliability and getting rid of some of the old nissan parts that just get brittle over time. Will hopefully all be ready for end of march for some events. be good to see everyone again

Rides
    Bloody hell, what an update. Great stuff!