Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Project Thunderbastard

Rides
    Spent the last few weeks fitting the alarm and trying to figure out how to get the remote central locking to work. That's all under control now, so I'll be putting the dash back in soon to stay before I get the glass fitted. Spent most of today plastic-welding the front bumper. I bought the bumper already chopped up - the mouth has been enlarged for more airflow to the intercooler but it was all done with tons of fibreglass and screws so it had all cracked and looked an absolute mess. I had an old XTrail bumper lying around so I cannibalised it for some genuine Nissan plastic to weld into my bumper

Looks an absolute mess but now it's all stuck together it shouldn't crack, and I'll smooth it out with plastic filler. I plastic-welded the holes for the headlight washers too. While I was doing this Simon seam-welded the front wings. They just need some bumper-mounting points welded in now and they'll be ready for filler.

Rides
    Haven't had much time to work on the car recently, all I've managed to do is finish installing the alarm and fix a few more bits on the front bumper. Simon has finished welding up the front wings and got them trial fitted with the bumper.

Also bought a pair of matching seats at last! Corbeau Revolution XL.

Rides
    Looking fantastic

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomedez View Post
    Haven't had much time to work on the car recently, all I've managed to do is finish installing the alarm and fix a few more bits on the front bumper. Simon has finished welding up the front wings and got them trial fitted with the bumper.

Also bought a pair of matching seats at last! Corbeau Revolution XL.

That's my old front bumper from a damson 200 reg P461 CNU. Sorry about all the screws and fibreglass that was my first attempt at bumper modding. The splitter I made held up better than expected. Where did you get it ? Just wondering whats happened to the rest of the car..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo View Post
    That's my old front bumper from a damson 200 reg P461 CNU. Sorry about all the screws and fibreglass that was my first attempt at bumper modding. The splitter I made held up better than expected. Where did you get it ? Just wondering whats happened to the rest of the car..
    Aha! You're the culprit I could actually see there's been loads of work put into it. Trouble is when you try to join fibreglass to plastic it cracks eventually. I've plastic-welded in bits and pieces to make it all plastic so it won't crack again. Did you make the splitter yourself? I couldn't figure out what it came from because it wouldn't match up to a standard S14a bumper. The middle was all distorted so I chopped that out and I'm in the middle of remaking that but the sides are still solid and will repair easily.
    Not sure about the car - I bought the bumper from a guy in London about 4 years ago for £40! I was going to bin it due to the amount of work involved but I really like the look of an enlarged mouth, and it's a good fit around the intercooler. Think you'll like the finished product.

Rides
    Hi yep made the splitter, as I widened the opening for a bigger intercooler nothing standard would fit. Glad to see some bit of my old car is still going.

Just after fitting 2001
    Last edited by nismo; 21-02-2017 at 11:36.

Rides
    The last couple of weekends have been spent filling and rubbing down the front wings. Hopefully ready for primer next weekend.

Rides
    Coming on great cant wait to see them finished ....so envious

Rides
    First coat of roller high-build primer on the wings.

Rides
    Love the wings and arches

Rides
    Rubbed down the first load of primer on the wings and they're surprisingly close to being ready to paint! Got a 2nd thick coat of roller primer on them and left them in the sun to bake (sun in Scotland in March, who knew!). Got some work done on the front bumper too. The bumper didn't meet up to the front corners of the wheel arches so I've chopped up some BMW Mini wheel arch trim and plastic-welded it into the bumper to extend it out and back to meet up to the wheel arches. Still to get cleaned up and filled to smooth them in but I reckon they'll look pretty good and subtle.

Rides
    Been working mostly on the front end to try and get it ready for paint soon. I've repaired the middle of the splitter by chopping up some fibreglass guttering - £15 for 3 metres! Also tackled masking up and repainting the cage because there were quite a few chips and scratches, plus there were a few bits next to the roof which were a bit patchy.

On Wednesday I finally got the glass fitted! £350 for a new front windscreen with universal seal, rear side windows fitted and rear windscreen fitted with universal seal. He's done a really nice job.

Rides
    Why did you get the glass fitted before painting the car?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Why did you get the glass fitted before painting the car?

I didn't. The shell has been painted for a few months now. Everything that's still to get painted will be done off the car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomedez View Post
    I didn't. The shell has been painted for a few months now. Everything that's still to get painted will be done off the car.
    Ah Ok, makes sense

Rides
    nice progress mate, its gonna look amazing when it's done.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    nice progress mate, its gonna look amazing when it's done.
    Thanks, hope it's worth the wait!

Some pics of today's progress:

Rides
    Nice job on front bumper, did you alter the bumper to line up with the wings..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Nice job on front bumper, did you alter the bumper to line up with the wings..
    Yeah I chopped up some BMW mini wheel arch trims, plastic-welded them into the corners of the bumper, packed the rear of it with fibreglass and smoothed them in. Shape isn't perfect yet but they'll smooth in fine, and matches the wings nicely.

Rides
    How it looks with headlights test-fitted: