Thread: Rusty S14a

Rides

Rusty S14a

Alright guys basically my shell is totally rotten. I'm considering my options on what to do, re-shell or break and just go down a non S-Body route.

Obviously the shell is rotten and to make any money I'd have to break, but I can't really be bothered with the hassle, do people on here often buy a whole car as a doner car? If so what do they go for? The engine is a 80,000, FSH with regular oil changes example, ran on standard boost all its life. Gearbox is mint, no crunches or whines, diff also locks up well. Basically the car would've breezed through its MOT if it wasn't for the rust. It isn't a high spec car at all but the engine is awesome, no VVT rattle at all and runs really well so would be good for a solid base. The car was about to get a H-Dev stage 2 chip if it had passed so has supporting mods for that bar the injectors (which I happen to be selling ha).

Is this an idea or would I be better off just breaking the car?

Rides
    Cant you just fix the rusty bits?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Cant you just fix the rusty bits?
    The MOT failure was 2 pages of rust failures and a page of rust advisories. I'm scunnered with it and just want it gone. I have pics of the worst parts so if selling the car as a whole is a viable option then I'll upload them.

Rides
    post some pics up mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    post some pics up mate
    I'll get some up when I'm back from the gym Kieran, I took the skirts off today and didn't even have to unscrew the bolts, they ripped out the mountings on the sill ha. I'm thinking I may break/sell and buy another S-Body.. But take you to make sure I don't buy a dunce ha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    I'll get some up when I'm back from the gym Kieran, I took the skirts off today and didn't even have to unscrew the bolts, they ripped out the mountings on the sill ha. I'm thinking I may break/sell and buy another S-Body.. But take you to make sure I don't buy a dunce ha
    mate i'll be honest, i'm no better or worse than the next guy. a trained mechanic is always the safest option

Rides
    There's a nice she'll on here for sale, stripped out and race spec, looks mint.... He dropped the price to around £400 I think? How about re-shelling yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides

Rusty S14a

Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    There's a nice she'll on here for sale, stripped out and race spec, looks mint.... He dropped the price to around £400 I think? How about re-shelling yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that Initialj? Just dropped him a PM there mate cheers for that.

You can't be much worse than me Kieran ha, got the front pretty much stripped down today (what's the deal with the ridiculously difficult bolts hidden away inside the wings!?) gonna remove the intercooler, radiator, manifold and turbo tomorrow. See removing the loom and stuff, is that difficult? I was planning on removing pretty much everything bar the engine and loom, giving the shell and my car to my mechanic and asking him to swap the engine and loom over? That sound like a plan?
    Last edited by mcleansc; 30-04-2015 at 21:46.

Rides
    It can't be any worse than mine.

And mines just about fixed. I had a whole floorplan done both sides, as well as full sill cut out, holes in arches fixed and a rusty subframe etc.

Stick with it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    It can't be any worse than mine.

And mines just about fixed. I had a whole floorplan done both sides, as well as full sill cut out, holes in arches fixed and a rusty subframe etc.

Stick with it!
    Any more pictures of yours? Seeing yours being repaired convinced me to get the few small patches of rust I had in comparison fixed!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hi_im_fil View Post
    Any more pictures of yours? Seeing yours being repaired convinced me to get the few small patches of rust I had in comparison fixed!
    Only what's in my build thread at the moment. I haven't been to see it since pal

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldoz View Post
    Only what's in my build thread at the moment. I haven't been to see it since pal
    I've no doubt it probably is saveable, 2 solid days of welding would get it through its MOT, but then I have all the other crusty bits to contend with and repair. My money is currently invested elsewhere, having to get a decent daily on top of strip and transport to a decent welder then paying him it'd stretch me a little thin. I'm keeping my options open and selling any spare parts, so you never know right enough. I'll have a yonder onto your thread to see the extent of the rust on yours mate