Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: track prep and advice

Rides

track prep and advice

Well it's been too long for me to be sitting on my arse not doing anything. I've never managed to do a track day due to one issue or another (not counting me hungover at weekenderfest falling asleep in my car)

So have decided it's time to get my finger out. Would appreciate some advice from the sxoc massive!

First off ill be taking the beemer, by then should have my e46 325mm brakes fitted up front. Will the standard Road pads be ok? New of course.

Should have my recaro srd seats fitted then if any luck with my scrascrotch quick fit harnesses.

What should I do in prep? Full service? Remove abs fuse or keep it on?

Tuition? What kind of prices? Anyone on here do it? Hoping to go either brands it Snetterton msv day, these a good choice?

Which track would be better for a beginner?

Oh I've got new Road tyres, maxxis asymmetrics which grip plenty well. Will it bo ok to use these?

Finally what kind of spares should I take for a day? Brakes? Fluids?

Any help from veterans would be awesome.

Rides
    Road pads are hit and miss. I wouldn't be doing a long stint in them. Fluid is more critical anyway, definitely put something like Motul RBF600 in. I've done a couple of track days with that stuff in the brakes and the pads have given up before the fluid has.

RE: ABS... see how you feel on the day. Try a session with and without. It's probably not a bad thing to lean on when you're just starting out. The last thing you want is to be coming at full steam down a straight into a tight corner and mash the middle pedal and get the thing crossed up because you're not used to how the temperature affects braking. Although you're more likely to not have enough on brakes with road pads rather than the other way round. Pads like Ferodo DS and Yellowstuffs get better with heat so there is an improvement (up to a point) as the pads get the temperature in them.

I think the shorter tracks are good for beginners. Longer circuits are hard to get into in terms of you spend more time learning the track more than learning what the car can do. Brands is probably a step too far (not enough space if something goes wrong), but places like Blyton Park are quite good as the laps are just over a minute each so you can get a lot of laps in in a short session. On top of that, you can see the whole track from the pit so you can just spend a bit of time watching what some of the other people are doing between sessions.

Bring a full toolkit, coolant and oil. Spare pads might not be a bad idea if you're going to take road pads in the first instance just in case.

Service before hand and check all suspension and brake components (bolt torque etc) before heading out so you're confident nothing is going to make a bid for freedom!
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 22-04-2015 at 10:22.

Rides
    When I do a trackday I take a little set of key sockets, a flat and a poze screw driver, pliers, WD, blue roll, cable ties etc to cover every base. Go for better pads, they'll make the difference.

Fit your seat, fit your harness and buy the tuition. No amount of track prep beats some proper driving instruction and seat time.

Have fun man.

Rides
    just to add ref brake pads (and not wanting to give you the willies) I had standard road pads on my old kouki with z32 callipers, in a 15 min session at combe I pretty much used them all up and the dust seized 6 of the pistons - was my first time taking that one on track though so probably riding the brakes a bit too much. My opinion, road pads just aren't up too the job, as Zep says, go for yellows or something and make sure you've got good fluid, if you think your lines will cope with it the go for some dot 5.

In terms of tuition, depends how confident you are, I've always been confident and happy to learn the best ways myself, when I've had tuition, again at combe, my lines etc were totally different to what the instructor would usually say but they worked for me and I was quicker using my style than what he would usually teach, he even suggested I kept to what I was doing. However, friends have had it and have found it very helpful indeed. I would say have a few laps on your own, get the feel of the track and how the car handles it and see about tuition after you've had a little play. Track days are good because they have apex cones, brake boards etc so you can teach your self to a certain level, it all depends on how much you can push yourself, i.e. braking later each time or carrying a bit more speed etc.

Airfield track days are good for beginners because they have endless run off space but I find them not as fun as circuits, you get a better sense of speed etc. My first time out was on combe though and couldn't fault it.

the main thing is to enjoy yourself, which you will do, and just give it a go. My track outing have been hardly any the past few years and I miss them, soon as the kids are a little older I'll be hitting them hard (the tracks not the kids)!

Rides
    Regarding pads: I'd say get decent track pads. There's nothing more frustrating than having to back off every other lap in order to try and get some braking power back.
    It also helps eliminate the terror of zero retardation power on the approach to a bend...

Fill the tank as close to the venue as you can.

Regarding tuition: It's often available without pre-booking. A good way a lot of people do it is to book early afternoon or similar, so you get a chance to get used to car and track in the morning and find out your approach, and then have it analysed and improved early afternoon by an instructor, so you can then practice techniques in the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Service before hand and check all suspension and brake components (bolt torque etc) before heading out so you're confident nothing is going to make a bid for freedom!
    LOLS...

*whistles*
    Last edited by Si; 22-04-2015 at 11:07.

Rides
    What track pads are OK? Ebc yellowstuff any good?

Rides
    I've never done a car track day but have done quite a few bike track days so bear that in mind when you read what I have writ - Also I've not aimed any of this at you, Ollie. Its more a list of things that either people told me or I wish they had

Things to do before you go...

1. Book on a place that is local and has plenty of run-off. You won't get any less out of an oval than a technically challenging circuit for a first track day - probably less.
    2. If the groups are graded, then as a novice, only book a place in the Novice group. If the novice group is full, book another day or track.
    2. Work out a goal for the day (Maybe something like.. stay in one piece, learn the track, learn what a racing line is, see if I like being on track or whatever). Personally, I wouldn't book training for the first day.
    3. DO NOT do any major work to your car in the 3 weeks before the track day.
    4. Get the servicing done two nights before (at the latest) and leave the last evening for gathering together spares, tools, documents (licence ?, wallet, proof of booking, directions, phone...) and what you are going to wear (fairly loose, long sleeves, layers for keeping warm/cool and helmet etc).
    5. Don't get pissed/blissed the night before. Have a quiet night but don't expect to get a good nights sleep - the adrenalin will be pumping earlier than you think. Being prepared will help massively.

On the day...

1. Leave in plenty of time. If you miss the briefing you probably won't be allowed to take part.
    2. Don't eat any mahoosive meals during the day as it will slow your reactions down at best and make you puke at worst.
    3. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. If you are in a Novice group they will spend the first session just learning where the track goes (they may even have a no-overtaking rule). Be patient and use the time to learn the track and find the best lines.
    4. This is just me but I'd try to keep it simple. Don't worry about messing around with tyre pressures, finding the ultimate lines, getting a good lap time. Concentrate on remembering the basics...
    a) Breathe - in and out...regularly - Its surprising how many people forget to do this
    b) Relax - its supposed to be fun remember
    c) Be polite even if you come across someone who is actually slower than you. lol - You'll make loads of friends in the pits if you can avoid being the cock that everyone hates for driving like a ****er
    d) Rome wasn't built in a day - Think of it as a taster day to find out if you like it and not a test to see if you have the potential to be the next Schumacher.

5. When you line up in the pit lane before the first session, you will be sh!tting yourself and thinking "What have I let myself in for ?". There is a good probability that most of the others in your group are thinking the same thing and the rest did the first time they went on track.
    6. Second session after lunch is when you are most likely to bin it. Its the "overconfidence" session.
    7. If your brakes/tyres/engine are starting to moan towards the end of the day, don't be tempted to go out for "just one more" session. Pack up and go home happy. I didn't and it cost me a bike, a set of leathers and a helmet
    8. When you get in the car to go home, take a moment to remember its over and you're going back on the road. I always feel incredibly chilled out and I sleep the "sleep of the righteous" that evening. Not good if you have a 400 mile drive home though.

Actual technique...

It is much better to miss an apex by a mile than to hit one early. Hit the apex too early and you WILL be going off track. Hit it too late and you'll wish you'd gone faster.

If you think you are going too fast when you get to the end of the straight, stop braking and go for it. Most novices run off track because they bottle it and don't attempt the corner.

Try to be smooth and relaxed. The brakes will thank you for it as will your body. A 20-minute session of car-wrestling is a fairly serious workout, especially if you forget to breathe

As with most things, getting the technique then adding speed is a better way to do it than trying to develop technique whilst driving beyond your limits.

Don't get a mate to video your first track day. Watching it back will be humbling...tooo humbling.

Rides
    Don't put your handbrake on after a session.

Obey the marshalls otherwise you'll find yourself going home early. Same applies for ignoring flags.

Don't take things into your own hands on the track. Speak to a marshall if you've got an issue.

Rides
    Brands is an excellent first track IMO. I'm navigationally retarded, but still managed to learn my way round pretty quickly. Lots of runoff at most of the corners too.

Rides
    What's Snetterton like for beginners? Are msv days pretty well run?

So far rough list I've got.

Get some track pads for my bbk I.e performance friction/yellowstuff etc
    Get seats and harnesses installed.
    Do full service. Already have overhauled cooling system and no oil leaks.
    Make sure everything is tight and nothing loose in the car.

Tuition seems to be getting a good vote for the second half of the day.

What about tyres?

Rides
    Just sling on whatever you've got. it's often more fun playing with the limit of grip when it's lower. It's also potentially less ruinous if it goes wrong.
    More grip=higher speeds when it lets go...

Rides
    Snetterton 300 is a long technical track that is hard to learn with little run-off in the infield.
    Snet 200 is a fairly long not very technical but difficult to get right track.
    Snet 100 is a short nadgery track with little run-off as it is the infield section.

MSV days are expensive for what they are but pretty well run and few regular track dayers go with MSV (which could make you feel more at home as more newbs).

Brands Indy hasn't got a lot of runoff in key places like the top of druids and loads of corners with nominal runoff on the international circuit.

If you want cheap with loads of runoff, go airfield circuits like Bedford.

I like MEL's points. 3 good bullets there mate.

Rides
    Snetterton is holding a couple "novice only" days on the 300 track next month. 7-8 20 min sessions with instructors, seems likely fairly good value.

Do I do it? Or just say **** it and book an open pit day?

Rides
    Beginners guide to track days is stickied at the top of the 'trackside and drifting' section. It's an old thread but still relevant.

I was at Knockhill at weekend in my stock puma. Standard seats and brakes, odd tyres on each corner. About 50bhp down on everything else out on the track It was an absolute hoot. I wouldn't change anything about it. But I'm maybe a bit different from a lot of folk in that I accept I'm not out racing anyone. Unlike the 7 clios in my sessions, all stripped, caged and on semi-slicks driving like they were in btcc...

Novice day is a good shout. If it's your first ever trackday make sure it's well-run and well-marshalled by a company with a good reputation.
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    LOLS...

*whistles*
    It's not like I'm passing on experience or anything like that Er...

Rides
    Do tell!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Snetterton is holding a couple "novice only" days on the 300 track next month. 7-8 20 min sessions with instructors, seems likely fairly good value.

Do I do it? Or just say **** it and book an open pit day?
    How much is it ?

I wouldn't book an open pit day as you will be getting in the way of some quick boys while trying to get the hang of it.

The novice day will be less intimidating.

Rides
    115 for the novice day.

250 for open pit or 150 if you book a couple months in advance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Do tell!

Calipers should remain attached mmmmk

Rides
    Get there early and start the day with a substantial breakfast.

If open pit don't be too anxious to get out on track. You have all day so take your time.

Stay hydrated.

Enjoy the day but don't be a hero.

If you can go with someone with experience who can give you pointers or book some tuition.

Most importantly have fun.