Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TV... What to do?

Rides

New TV... What to do?

So, it seems I need a new TV.

I have seem HDR seems to be the next big thing - which cannot be bought currently.

4k also seems tempting, so do curved screens.

OLED looks awesome - but apparently Sony have some LED versions due out this year which are meant to be better than OLED for picture quality and clarity.

So... what to do?

It'll be wall mounted.

I'd like 65".

Do I wait, or do I just buy what's good now on the basis it'll be good, and fine for me, and accept better is always round the corner so I have to buy at some time!

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Rides
    65"? Seriously? How big is your lounge?!

Rides
    Now that would be a bare serious TV

Rides
    Oh, and IMHO curved is a huge gimmick to try and sell more shit, and I'm a bit of an AV geek. Think 3d TV and how everyone went for those...
    Viewing angles actually seem worse on the ones I've seen, and in anything other than a 'perfect' setup of one person in one place, they're a bit arse.
    Plus, I'd you want to wall mount, they look pretty naff.

Rides
    No point getting a 4k yet imo, nothing has been made/released for 4k televisions so its would be silly.

Ive not heard of OLED so cannot comment on that.

Rides
    If i was buying high end i would be only shopping for 4k, yes the material is scarce but netflix has a bit and youtube has plenty as well.

Curved... naa - looks a bit of a gimmick like Si says.

Rides
    My lounge is not overly large, but I dont believe bigger is worse. In fact, as a non-parent and hopefully also a person who is still not significantly old in their outlook, I can say a big TV is a good thing.

No doubt when I am old, and even fatter, I'll join the ranks of people in the generation above who cant understand wanting a large TV, but until that point I want BIGGER

The thing with 4k is yes, there's nothing available in it. But if you want a nice TV with all the gadgets... unless you go 4k you have to settle for something not so good - with the possible exception of the LG 55" OLED, but it's not the size I am looking for.

Curved... I am a little fascinated with them having looked at them in shops - but have not tried to live with them day to day... has anybody here got one? Any first hand experience over a decent period? Yes, the gimmick has taken me in totally

Nobody got any thoughts on HDR? Will this catch on?

3D I couldn't give two hoots about to be fair - it's a pointless gimmick that I cant see ever really catching on fully, because it's a faff. 4K I can see catching on, as there's no faff, it's just the next logical step. It's whether straight 4k catches on, or 4K HDR becomes the norm, in which case a standard 4K TV now may be a chunk 'less good' than one in 12 months designed for the job...

But my TV somehow is producing interference with my Router, so I need to do something, either put up with it for longer, or just take the plunge.

I am thinking maybe I settle for a 55" OLED HD TV, as they're so slim and nice, and I can maybe move it to another room in a year or two when 4k settles down and is more accessible?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    65"? Seriously? How big is your lounge?!
    wow .... its like one of those movies where Si and a woman both made a wish at the same time whilst blowing out some magic candle thing and woke up the next morning to find Si in a womans body and a woman in Si's body !

Yes Seriously 65" !!!!!

Rides
    65" aint that big... unless you have one of these modern houses with there teeny weeny wee rooms - seriously... there is more space in a nuns chuff than most modern build sitting rooms.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    wow .... its like one of those movies where Si and a woman both made a wish at the same time whilst blowing out some magic candle thing and woke up the next morning to find Si in a womans body and a woman in Si's body !

Yes Seriously 65" !!!!!
    Well i just bought a 60 inch sony bravia lcd smart tv the KDL 60w850B have to say what a TV. Down side takes a while to set up as instructions are not comprehensive picture quality is so good it higlights flaws in substandard broadcasts and anything recorded other then HD pretty much. However you can set each input as required so you dont have to adjust it each time to gain the most out of it. Dont no if you guys have digital free to air but you can record on to a HHD (I have my 4TB on mine) complete seasons with one click. You can connect too facebook or twitter either in picture or side by side. You also have the ability to set up and conect to you home network work and play you media through a media server. Interface is very much like the PS OS and also works seemlessly with my PS4.
    Last edited by auz200sx; 13-04-2015 at 09:03.

Rides
    Is 4K Netflix available on all platforms now, as last year it was only on Samsung Tellys.
    House of Cards is awesome to watch, but some of the other stuff isn't much different to BluRay.

The safe bet with Tellys for a long while has been Samsung, decent hardware and decent software.

65" is a flipping monster of a telly tho!

Rides
    Cant see it being long before 4k netflix is available on a lot more devices.
    For a pc you need an hevc equipped video card (well the cpu can technically do it but its going to be a whopping load)or use h264 ect...

Suspect the ps4 will get a firmware upgrade for it sometime, but likely h264 4k support only (or h265 software) as the first gen units dont have hvec hardware.
    Wouldnt be surprised if there was a respin of the ps4/XB1 processor for hvec soon for hardware support as AMD will be building it into there new gpu series due in a month.

Rides
    I wouldn't bother with a TV for that size.

Best thing i ever did was not bother with a big TV, and get a ceiling mounted projector and remote screen.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Yes Seriously 65" !!!!!
    I can't believe this but I agree with Johnny , there I've said it I may have to go lie down now

If you're a bloke then there's no such thing as a TV EVER being too big ;-)

The only previous limit to size was the fact that CRT meant that anything over 40 meant it was 10 foot from the back wall to the screen

The only limit now is the width of your wall
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Being old and a parent has nothing to do with it, it's about actual usability. Sitting close to a massive telly sucks, you spend the entire time flicking your eyes backwards and forwards, and it gets tiring and really unenjoyable after you get over the initial 'wow this is amazing' thing.
    I know so many people that have bought huge tellues and ended up selling them after a year or so for something more reasonable.
    Not to mention the 'oh, i see you have a telly' factor when you walk into a living room that has an entire wall covered in LG's finest.

Spend the money on a better quality, smaller device.
    In all seriousness, how far will you be sitting from the tv.?
    Last edited by Si; 13-04-2015 at 11:08.

Rides
    More to a good experience than size (ahem)...
    Spending good coin on the sound system is a must, no point in having a big 65" worth of action if the music score and effects sound like a wasp farting in a tin can.

The number of folk who show me there big inchers and have a poxy wee sound bar under it is hilarious, might as well not bovver.

Not that i am saying the op has a tiddler in that department.

Rides
    Sound is pretty respectable currently, B&W 603 fronts I think, B&W centre and Wharfedale 9.3 Rears, Yamaha something 12" active sub, and currently a Onkyo SR805 but that may be being improved upon.

Si - I wasn't meaning to have a dig there, it's mostly parents and in-laws who always nay say about a decent TV, yet they visit and say how good it is after a tiny amount watching, so the argument has got tedious!

That is how it was before the centre was upgraded, so it's a little improved from that now - but the TV really is the weak link now!

Rides
    I bought a Samsung UE48HU7500 4K TV just after christmas and it's awesome. (They do bigger versions too). I went on the strength of reviews and it seems really highly rated everywhere. Okay, so SD broadcasts are a little bit poo but the processor does what it can to fill all the pixels. HD broadcasts and Blu rays on the other hand look incredible, I haven't yet tried a 4K source but I thought it was worth futureproofing as I had my old Sony Bravia for about 8 years before it started to fail. The good thing about the Samsung range is the connection box you can get which means that even if connection standards change you can upgrade the box instead of the entire TV. The only is thing the speakers lack bottom end, only due to the panel being so thin but not really a problem with surround or a sound bar.

Rides
    I have decided to give up on 4K.

I am going to get an OLED LG, then in a few years when the 4k standard is actually settled on, I'll get one of those

Rides

New TV... What to do?

Size is interesting. We've got a dedicated cinema in part of our basement, it's not an enormous room, but I use a projector to throw 150 inches of image on the wall and it's perfectly comfortable to watch. That said it's only used for films, so rarely more than 2.5 hours in a single sitting, might be a bit much after that.

Where you mount it makes a big difference. One of my mates has his tv mounted high over his fireplace in a smallish room and it is exhausting to watch for any length of time.

Edit: I'm going to suggest a slightly different approach. Keep your current TV for everyday use, get a projector for movie nights. That way you've got something smaller for just having on, but can bring out the big guns when you want to. I've got a 47inch LG in the lounge, don't think I'd want to go much bigger for day to day viewing. My Mrs doesn't need to watch FRIENDS at bigger than life size...
    Last edited by Yakko; 14-04-2015 at 14:56.