Thread: VRT Import Nightmare

Rides

VRT Import Nightmare

I have my dream s15 spec r due in on the boat in the next 4 weeks, however i got a huge shock last night wheni discovered that vrt (vehicle registration tax) is now based on book value of the car plus co2 emissions, so on average s15s are been charged vrt at 36% (highest emission level) of book value of 9000 euros, over 3000 euros to register my S15, absolute robbery, typical rip off ireland.

if anyone can shed any more light on this topic or have any ideas or tips on making this process less costly please let me know.

Rides
    i had some issues with my s13 too last february.... their strategy was to delete certain cars from their online system so they can then charge whatever they like after the inspection (usually a silly amount)and you have to pay before you can even appeal.... my counter attack to the ridiculous quote of 1400e for a uk 200sx was to read the small print on the T&C basically. it stated that VRT can be influenced by condition of the vehicle also, so i sent in pics and evidence of rust, dents etc, anything that would indicate a reduced value (and therefor VRT...) they then dropped to 800e (also with proof that i only paid 2500e for the car) but the loopholes seem to be fairly tight on this now....
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    i had some issues with my s13 too last february.... their strategy was to delete certain cars from their online system so they can then charge whatever they like after the inspection (usually a silly amount)and you have to pay before you can even appeal.... my counter attack to the ridiculous quote of 1400e for a uk 200sx was to read the small print on the T&C basically. it stated that VRT can be influenced by condition of the vehicle also, so i sent in pics and evidence of rust, dents etc, anything that would indicate a reduced value (and therefor VRT...) they then dropped to 800e (also with proof that i only paid 2500e for the car) but the loopholes seem to be fairly tight on this now....
    Thanks for the feedback, yea its an absolute joke, as the car i have coming in is very clean with no issues
    that i could use as a bargaining tool, i dont like my chances of talking them down in price, plus they bump
    up the price for modifications now too so im screwed there too, im looking at a minimum of 3000 euros up to a max of what ever the hell they feel like on the day. only one solution for it, register it in northern
    ireland as im close to the border.

Rides
    I cleared my s15 after it was siezed by the state after 4 good years of tax free driving. It cost me 850 euro plus a 150 fine. Book value is about 2000.

Rides
    Miserable cnuts. I'm sorry but I'm absolutely sick of this country's regulations and rip-off attitude towards cars.

First off, VRT is an unfair additional tax that Irish people pay, and for what? This isn't Australia or America where they need to protect the domestic car manufacturers interests. It's simply to line the pockets of our greedy bastard government. The exact same service in the UK costs about £200 I think, regardless of the car. Don't even get me started on trying to insure a JDM yoke or road tax on anything with more power than a wet fart.

Personally I'm opting out of paying them squat anymore, and have decided that the only sports cars I'll own from now on are 30 years old or more. 56 euro road tax and classic insurance. Go fcuk yourself Enda & co. (First S13s will be getting there soon enough )

Rides
    36% of the cars value just to register it? That is most heinous!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Miserable cnuts. I'm sorry but I'm absolutely sick of this country's regulations and rip-off attitude towards cars.

First off, VRT is an unfair additional tax that Irish people pay, and for what? This isn't Australia or America where they need to protect the domestic car manufacturers interests. It's simply to line the pockets of our greedy bastard government. The exact same service in the UK costs about £200 I think, regardless of the car. Don't even get me started on trying to insure a JDM yoke or road tax on anything with more power than a wet fart.

Personally I'm opting out of paying them squat anymore, and have decided that the only sports cars I'll own from now on are 30 years old or more. 56 euro road tax and classic insurance. Go fcuk yourself Enda & co. (First S13s will be getting there soon enough )
    well said clint, i couldnt agree more, my aim is to have an s30 fairlady z someday soon with an rb26 in it and drive about with my middle finger up singing spin on that enda.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by japgarage View Post
    I cleared my s15 after it was siezed by the state after 4 good years of tax free driving. It cost me 850 euro plus a 150 fine. Book value is about 2000.
    was this recently? and how come book value was so low? i hear they have s15s down at book value of 9k minimum and they bump up the price for every modification it has, so with a few basic mods like intercooler, exhaust, suspension, wheels etc i dread to think what the ****ers would charge.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrys15 View Post
    well said clint, i couldnt agree more, my aim is to have an s30 fairlady z someday soon with an rb26 in it and drive about with my middle finger up singing spin on that enda.
    Not cheap, going for nigh on 20k these days for a good one. Would be cheaper to move to Oz and buy one there lol.

Beautiful car tho. Would have a VQ in mine tho for that V6 rasp.