Thread: Flywheel

Rides

Flywheel

Just a quick question. I'll be uprating to an ACT Paddle Clutch in the near future and was wondering if it's really worth forking out £250 for a lightweight flywheel while it's all out? I was originally going to just skim the OEM one but it seems a done thing that everyone swaps the 2 of them at the same time, does it really make that much of a difference?

Rides
    I did. I figured it was better to do it while it was all off. No idea if it made any difference though as i got a new turbo etc all fitted at the same time!

Rides
    The reason most people fit aftermarket flywheels is their much harder metals like chromly, where as oem flywheels are much softer so aggressive clutches wear them down much quicker

Rides
    ^^^ not really, if you fit a light weight one they're aluminum! If it's an everyday car I'd skim your oem one, if track then go for a light weight one.

Rides
    I have just had my ACT fitted yesterday and the mechanic phoned me saying my flywheel for fubared so I had to order one.

From what I have read its definitely a worthwhile investment as you don't want to have to fork out later on, for a flywheel and potentially another new clutch

Rides
    What make/type do people normally invest in? Or are all the branded ones generally the same?

Rides
    Before I fitted my ACT clutch I got my flywheel skimmed, but there were hard spots that they couldn't skim out so ended up being more juddery than usual. Don't know if that was just a crap machine shop or if it's a common occurrence.
    Decent lightweight flywheels like Fidanza usually have screwed-on plates that you can replace when they wear out.

Rides
    The lightweight flywheel certainly made mine rev up quicker/free er

Rides
    Another vote for Fidanza. Replaceable faces for if/when an aftermarket clutch mullers a flywheel. £79.99 a face from Tuning Developments.

Rides
    Just had a look there, never seen that website before! I suppose if I intend on using it for drifting the replaceable faces would save money in the long term despite the initial £339 payment. Just had a look at the clutch's, does anyone rate the Clutchmaster FX400? £40 cheaper than the ACT Paddle and looks to be just as good?