Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 530d Touring, tell me about them....

Rides
    Ok, I've been looking and have found no manuals, I've been tempted by an auto but just don't think I'll be happy with auto.

How about an E46 330d manual, (would be looking for around an '04 plate to get the 204bhp engine), anything specific to look at? Again I'd be looking at M Sport, I know they ride hard but that's a decision I'll have to make if I test drive one Just find them really boring as standard and I guess it'd be easier to put normal suspension on a Sport than everything else on a non Sport?

Anyone have opinions on them? Comparisons to the E39 would be great.

Thanks
    Alex B

Rides
    Rust - rear and front arches
    Electrics - lazy window motors, noisy climate fans, air bag lights going off due to pass seat occupancy sensor fault
    Warped discs especially if cheap ones used
    Snapped rear springs
    Potential sub frame cracks at rear but tbh the later cars don't seem to fail - and it's usually M3 related
    Front control arm rear bush - wear and give wheel wobble
    Later ones should have vortex filter rather than bog roll type already but make sure it's been changed
    Swirl flaps removed ASAP
    Handbrake mechanism is shit - constant adjustment required - check it works
    Other than that - pretty solid on basic servicing

Rides
    Oh and in line fuel pump. If you do buy one and fancy a spare for when yours fails (it will) I have one you can take for postage

Rides
    Benn reading this post with intrest......just recently picked up a 2006 530d touring m sport. Had a mk4 golf estate tdi for about 3 years before and to be honest was tempted by something a bit nicer since becoming a dad.........so started looking for an e61. I've had the 530 for around 3 weeks although I've not been driving it too much due to it having a blocked dpf. It is booked in to get a dpf replacement pipe and remap on Tuesday though. As far as the auto vs manual......i toyed with that very decision myself and ended up going for the auto as they are a lot easier to find plus a few friends totally recommended i buy a auto. In the few short weeks i have had the car i have to say that getting an auto is definitely the best way to go......totally suits the car and to be honest when i have to drive the wifes manual mazda 3 i feel hard done by having to change gear.

Will try to get some pics up shortly
    Last edited by 205turbo; 23-04-2015 at 07:49.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Potential sub frame cracks at rear but tbh the later cars don't seem to fail - and it's usually M3 related
    Any of the 3.0l petrol / diesels and M3s are prone to failure.

The lower powered models not so much.

Rides
    I think a lot of this feedback is E39 feedback? Is the OP looking at E39 or E61?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Any of the 3.0l petrol / diesels and M3s are prone to failure.

The lower powered models not so much.

Agreed I've seen a couple 320s with the problem. Personally I think worn subframe bushes cause alot of the problem, as it causes the frame to pivot more underload and the more strain on the sheet metal.

Hell I saw a 330I auto for a mate, old guy driving it very gently and fairly low miles (75kish) and the floor was badly torn.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    I think a lot of this feedback is E39 feedback? Is the OP looking at E39 or E61?
    We as he mentions 2001 you would assume E39
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    2001+ includes both I reckon E61 is getting cheaper, there's some cross over in pricing, so the newer one is worth a look.

Rides
    Did think I should make it clearer, I'm looking at E39 530d 2001+ to get the $193bhp engine, or e46 330d 2004+ to get the 204bhp engine.

I'm really not into autos unless they're bolted up to a big V8, I like changing gear myself and as my GMC is auto I don't want to get lazy

Thanks for the info so far it's really helpful.

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    Ok, I've been looking and have found no manuals, I've been tempted by an auto but just don't think I'll be happy with auto.

How about an E46 330d manual, (would be looking for around an '04 plate to get the 204bhp engine), anything specific to look at? Again I'd be looking at M Sport, I know they ride hard but that's a decision I'll have to make if I test drive one Just find them really boring as standard and I guess it'd be easier to put normal suspension on a Sport than everything else on a non Sport?

Anyone have opinions on them? Comparisons to the E39 would be great.

Plenty to go wrong with them, i should know as mines has had them all.

Breaks are crap, make sure all the calipers work and dont stick.
    Handbreak mech aint clever, make sure i works
    Check for rust as said, also on the brake lines.
    Swirl flaps, not hard to change but worth looking at.
    Spring snap when the wind changes direction (i have had 2)
    Make sure it has full power, these things have so many sensors and guff that just one wee cough and they play silly buggers.
    The stereos are garbage.

Other than that, the 330cds are good... well apart from the elephant in the room... THE RIDE IS SHOCKING

I should have bought a 350z.

Rides
    What makes the brakes crap? inefficient or prone to sticking?

A small point, but how easy is the stereo to change, is it a weird size? Not really changed any modern stereos!

What exactly makes the ride bad? in what way is it bad?

Cheers
    Alex B

Rides
    The ride on the e46 is hugely over damped, so its really crashy and uncomfortable. E39 is a lot better

Brakes are fine for normal driving, but the handbrake is prone to falling apart and the backplate rusting out.

Rides
    Can the ride be improved with different shocks/springs?

Alex B

Rides
    Lots of cheap coilovers available. But point of buying m sport is....

Rides
    I meant better quality dampers that have addressed the harshness, Avo, Bilstein etc, same height and firmness but better valved, hard to explain, (especially not knowing exactly what the problem is!)

Thinking of going to look at one over the weekend so hopefully be able to decide if it's for me

Alex B

Rides
    Personally if you dont want an auto I would look elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    How much are you set on the 2 ton towing weight?
    I've just bought a Saab 9-5 Aero wago, it's the same size as a 5 series, but compared to what would I'd get from Bavaria for the same money, it's newer, on less miles, so much comfier, and better equipped. They're ridiculously cheap, and supposedly pretty bombproof. Manuals aren't as common as autos, but moreso than 5 series'.
    There's a couple of diesels available I think, but again, don't care about those so didn't look into them. The Aero has a silly amount of punch in the mid range if that's what you want though. There's some daft statistic like they were quicker from 30-70 than a contemporary 911 turbo, or something along those lines.

IIRC the tow weight is around 1800kg. That was only a cursory glance though, as I don't care about towing (which I guess is surprising, as you'd expect an RX7 owner to be doing it constantly )