Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 530d Touring, tell me about them....

Rides

530d Touring, tell me about them....

I need to get a runaround as my truck is taking too long to build, I've narrowed it down to either a Volvo V70 (185bhp model) as I had a V70 classic before and really liked it, or a 2001+ 530d Touring but has to be manual. I'd ideally like an M Sport but as I need it before our June holiday and I've got a fairly limited budget, I may have to just dress a standard one up!

Knowing that the SXOC is more like a BMW club I thought it would be a good place to ask.

Thanks
    Alex B

Rides
    Mark and Delboy have had them in them past so should be able to give some good advice.

Rides
    Dressing one up as an M sport is expensive, or certainly used to be a few years back when I had an E39.

Rides
    Ive got an e39 52 plate 525d. Was guna get a 530d but mine came up at a good price close to me.. Had it for over 2 years been pretty faultless, 144000 on the clock. Its an auto so cant comment on the manual but you wont get a better car for what I paid IMO. 530d has a lot more go, better for towing (if required). Not much more I can think to say really, shes a reliable old workhorse.. never let me down!

Rides
    E61 530d I loved mine - Madda has it now and I think it's still going OK.

Only issue I had was short journies coked it right up, if you're not doing many miles I'd avoid a big derv.

Rides
    Dont get one with sports suspension and huge wheels, these things work best when they do what they are designed to do - be comfortable and nice to drive.

Not boneshaking, tram-lining sports cars.

Rides
    What about an Jag X type as alternative either Derv or a 3ltr V6 on LPG

Rides
    I looked at the Jag with a 2.2, or Mondeo ST155, (both use the same engine), but wrote them off as I want something that is reliable and not riddled with faults, which is what left me with Volvo and BMW as they're pretty bomb proof.

It's only really for longer journeys as I'll be using the GMC for day to day driving, but I'll likely use it for towing the caravan and maybe occasionally the car transporter trailer

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Dont get one with sports suspension and huge wheels, these things work best when they do what they are designed to do - be comfortable and nice to drive.

Not boneshaking, tram-lining sports cars.
    Have you got experience of the Sport? Everything I've read about the sport says how good they are, not read anything bad about the ride?

Alex B

Rides
    My 530d Msport rode fine but it was a touring and had airbags and 17s i believe they ride a bit worse when people stick the M5 or 18" Paras on them. Wouldnt bother with the manual as its a shit box, get the Auto its miles better. If thats an issue then get the Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I drove Ed's E39 touring for a while, it was really lovely. That was an M Sport and the ride wasn't too bad at all - not sure what wheels it was on though. It was certainly a shedload better than the E46 M Sport we've got, which is suspended on scaffold poles AFAIK.

It was quick, refined, and a really nice place to be.
    However, it was a manual - which IMHO really, really didn't suit the car. While the box was ok, it was just at odds with the character of what was essentially a very nice, brisk wafter that handled well for it's size. I'd definitely consider one if we didn't have our E46, but it would have to be an auto.

Rides
    I haven't read anything bad about the manual expect for as you say Si, people saying it didn't fit the character!

I'd just prefer manual, as I'll be towing and my other daily, (GMC), is auto and I don't want to get lazy! Manual is supposed to be a lot more economical too.

Alex B

Rides
    I don't think the manuals are? Most owners of the 540i seem to reckon they get better mpg from the auto, their good boxes, nothing like the ones from the old days.

I do have a soft spot for e39s, will have to get one, one day, my friends got a carbon black 540 lowered on some bbs lm's and it looks really smart, pretty nice interiors too

Rides
    I'm only going on what I've been reading on BM forums, I'd like to have a drive of one but manuals are so rare it's not easy to sort.
    Also read the auto boxes can be problematic as they're sealed but shouldn't be so need oil changes every 70k miles (ish), which most don't have and a new box is 3.5k!

Alex B

Rides
    Don't panic on the oil change, the reason they get damaged is because when something like the oil cooler gets a leak, people can't check the fluid (no auto dipstick)so it gets run low and wears out the internals.

Long as it's clean and the oil cooler doesn't show any signs of leaking/damage their reliable boxes that can/have done 200k.

Not to mention second hand boxes are plentiful.

Rides
    Pretty sure its the same box that's in our e46, which is showing no issues at 135k.

Regarding the box: my point was in relation to the diesel engine mated to it. May be better with a petrol, but constantly having to row gears was at odds with it. And I hate autos!
    Last edited by Si; 08-04-2015 at 06:55.

Rides
    My 330d has just ticked over 198k - no issues with auto box. Agree with what's said above; if you're going to do it, get an auto and don't get an M Sport.

Rides
    E46 owners need to realise the E39 is a different animal when it comes to Msport, there is nothing wrong with them

Check the swirl flaps have been removed (although i dont think the manuals had them) and its got a vortex breather filter and not the shite bog roll one. The auto box fluid arguement is split right down the middle, there are those who say to change it every 100k or the world will end and there are those saying if its done 150k+ and its not been done dont touch it as the world will end I just found the manual a bit like stirring porridge, the auto is also awesome in the snow, just put it in drive and let it just pull itself along the road on idle
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I have a 528i saloon with the m sport kit/wheels and some bilstein suspension and it is fantastic. My only regret is that is a manual, as an auto box would suit the car a lot better. The interior is like slipping into a sofa

Rides
    Had an E39 525i sport, loved it, it had 19'' M-pars and still rode great, in all honesty I wouldn't touch a manual one, the auto is far better. My auto box broke, cost 1k for a complete rebuild and new torque converter, but i didn't care, a dual mass flywheel and clutch can cost the best part of that fitted. I now have an E93, again, auto. Unless you're doing 15k or more miles, I'd stay petrol