Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After bleeding the brakes, the pedal goes to the floor

Rides
    After replacing the seal in one caliper, I couldn't get it bled right. Was using a bm57 master cylinder, changed it back to the stock one (think bm50) still getting the same problem. Before stripping the caliper, I never had a problem with either master cylinder.

Rides
    Just thinking. Can the brake servo be play up on me?

Rides
    And don't think there a problem with the seals on the caliper that I changed. Took that same caliper off just now. Pulled off the dust seals. There just a small amount of grease that I used to slide the piston in. No evidence of brake fluid. Is it really worth popping out the pistons to check the seals in the caliper?
    It's only me working on it today :'(

Rides
    I've just changed the servo now. Still the same. Running out of ideas now.
    :'(
    Took it for a test drive. First pump goes to the floor with hardly stopping the car. On the second pump there is some braking but pulls to the left.

Rides
    I've just changed the servo now. Still the same. Running out of ideas now.
    :'(
    Took it for a test drive. First pump goes to the floor with hardly stopping the car. On the second pump there is some braking but pulls to the left.

Rides
    It took me about 5 goes to bleed the brakes when I took my master cylinder and abs unit out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yea i think I'm going to get rid of the abs too.

Rides
    Don't do the hold the pedal then open the nipple bleed. You need to just open it, get your mate to pump full down and up pumps whilst you keep the reservoir topped up. Then get him to hold it down whilst you close it. Start from inside to outside.

Are you sure you didn't run out of fluid in the reservoir on any of the other 3 calipers when bleeding?

You say it pulls left, did you change the right hand caliper seals?

It would only be servo if the pedal got soft when your start the car.

If the pedal is soft when not running you have air in the system.

Get a pressure bleeder or vacum bleeder if no luck with all that!
    Last edited by S15_SAM; 01-04-2015 at 19:29.

Rides
    Yea sorry. Sometimes when we press the pedal it didn't go quite to the floor. But would move about 1 cm or 2 when releasing the nipple. On the pice of pipe used for bleeding, there a slit at the bottom. So as long as the fluid in a jar that we use is above the slit, we could just leave the nipple open and pump, with holding the pedal down on the last pump then closing. We could get 10 pumps out of the rear and about seven out of the fronts before we had to refill the resvior.

And yes I replaces seals on the right (drivers) caliper.

Changed the servo back to the s14 one. The brakes sort of work now. Long pedal travel and still pulls to the left then right. It feels a bit strange but does stop. Thinking air still in somewhere.

I'm trying to source one new seals for the bm57 and the servo. And I'm going to replace brake lines. Getting rid of the abs unit altogether.

Rides
    If it pulls left and you repaired the right then the issue is without doubt within the RH caliper. Either the seals are wrong and the Pistons are too tight (unlikely) but coupled with no pedal then it's air in that caliper. Blocked pipe or caliper fluid journal.