Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After bleeding the brakes, the pedal goes to the floor

Rides

After bleeding the brakes, the pedal goes to the floor

Hi. Had a sticking caliper on one side. Replaced that caliper with new seals. Bled all calipers several times. Could not see any bubbles coming out. Pedal goes to the floor on the first pump. Gets a little harder on the second pump but not great. Leave it 10 seconds and same again, staight to the floor. Was using bm57 master cylinder. Changed it back to the stock one to check if that was at fault. No joy. Still the same. Since changing the master cylinder I've used two liters of fuild. Can't see any bubbles. I've also check all the lines. They all look good with no evidence of leaking. Confused. Don't know what wrong.

Rides
    Could be you've caught one of the piston seals and it's leaking behind the dust boot, need to check the calipers again. Definitely air in the system though.

Rides
    Don't think so mate. I Replaced all seals in that caliper. Can't see any fuild coming from the pistons area. Is there a chance there's air in the abs unit? How much fluid would you expect to use bleeding the whole system?

Rides
    Just a thought,but have you got the calipers upside down?

These symptoms sound very familiar.

Rides
    Lol no. The bleed nipples is at the top of the calipers. Only took of the side that was sticking.

Rides
    You bled all 4 corners? As air can work it's way back up the system. Also air can get trapped in the abs module if it's drained enough fluid. Your symptoms are definitely air locks though.

Rides
    Just sounds like air to me. It's a lot easier if you have a second person to help you do it.

Rides
    I spent an hour pumping the pedal after a brake refurb and refit,for a very good friend of mine on here lol,only to discover they were fitted to the wrong sides!!

Rides
    Yea bled all four calipers. And since changing the master cylinder, I've use two liters of fluid bleeding it.

Yea I've had somebody helping me.

Rides
    Probably air trapped in the abs I believe you can use a pin and join two wires together to make it cycle? Or I think there is a bleed screw on the abs pump itself?

Rides
    Would you know where this bleed nipple is on the abs? Gone round twice today(bleeding). Still the same. Last time we bled it was Friday night7

Rides
    What technique are you using? Are you making sure the bleed nipple is fully shut before the pedal returns upwards? Also try shutting the nipple before the pedal gets to the bottom...

Sorry if I'm trying to teach grannies to suck eggs but just checking

Rides
    Lol no problem. My mate presses the brake pedal. I release the bled nipple, there foot goes to the floor, then I close the nipple. They release the pedal, and start again. Working on the rear passenger, rear drivers, front passenger then the front drivers side.

I think I could have a small leak at the join between front drives brake pipe to the braided hose. I've miss shaped the 10mm nut bolting them together. I'm going to Cut that threaded nut thing off and replace today.

Rides
    Aye gotta be careful with those brake hoses/hardlines pretty easy to cross threads or even strip them. Done it myself in the past accidently.

Hopefully should bleed up as normal then.

Rides
    Still no joy :'(
    Don't what else to do

Rides
    My mate has noticed that he needs to use more pressure to pump the brake when bleeding the caliper that I replaced the seals in.

I've also notice in the same caliper, that the braided hose vibrates when he pumps the brake. Havn't noticed that on the other three pipes. And that's with all bleed nipples closed.

Rides
    Are you 100%, nay, 110% sure, that you havent cross-threaded the caliper on the inlet? It's easy done, I'm pretty handy with cars but I destroyed a skyline 2-pot just a few weeks ago so I know how easy it is.

Rides
    Funny you say that. I did have to re thread one of my rear skylines calipers a couple of years ago. But never had a problem with them since. And that was one of the first things i checked. Bone dry.

Thinking I'm going to strip the caliper that I changed the seals in. Check to see if the new seals are ok. Struggling what to check after that

Rides
    Seals in the master cylinder may have gone because of the extra movement while bleeding.

Might be able to loosen it from the servo and see if there is any fluid without stripping it out.

Rides
    Are you getting just fluid out at the end or anything with air in it ?

Sounds like the master cylinder has gone tbh