Thread: screwed by insurers twice.. please help

Rides

screwed by insurers twice.. please help

well... If there is anyone out there that works with insurance companies or has a better knowledge of insurance than i do, any help would be appreciated

I took out an insurance policy with a company and was quoted a price based on providing 5 years of experience (not no claim bonus) I was told I would not need anything from previous insurers, but a simple company headed letter with details of how long i had worked for them and that I was claim free.

Not a problem.

The underwriter was policy plan and they confirmed all of this before i said yes lets do it.

2 weeks later, I get a call saying that I need to provide a policy number for the insurance that I was on from which the experience was gained. I questioned this because I was told that I would not need to provide any policy numbers. However, I did the leg work and the companies I used to work for provided me with another headed letter which included the policy number.

Somehow this wasnt acceptable and they now wanted a letter direct from the insurer with this information otherwise my already expensive (courier) insurance would have an additional premium of £1088 added to it.
    So i say F that something isnt right here, and i argue my case. The insurance company send me the inception call where i say, "will i need to provide a policy number" followed by the advisor saying, "no". I then say, "so all you need is the proof of experience, nothing else", to which the advisor says, "yes thats right".

so straight away I'm offered £500 toward the additional premium as its obvious the insurers are in the wrong, but they blame the underwriter - policy plan - for the cock up. I cancel and find another insurer

The second insurer.

After making sure, double triple and even octuple checking that all i would need to provide is courier experience, no policy numbers or proof of no claims, literally just the experience. I go for another insurance scheme with a company well known on this board and im sure many of you use, I take out another insurance policy.

2 days later my documents come through the post and i have a look. The underwriter is policy plan again.
    2 days after that I get a phone call from the insurers and guess what, i need to provide policy numbers blah blah blah otherwise my premium will be raised by £1088. hmmm

So now as it stands, I have paid 2 deposits and a few instalments totalling around £1550 not to far off the cost of a year policy if i had paid in full and have been insured for a measly 2 and a bit months.

is there anything i can do? both companies are extremely unhelpful and the second insurer I will never use again. in fact as my sx is insured with them I will go out of my way to make sure I avoid them when renewal comes about.

thanks guys

Rides
    The Financhial Ombudsman service will deal with insurance companies, you can start your case online IIRC.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    I think most insurers will only accept NCD if they are from a company policy which wasn't fleet - You had full SDP use of the vehicle and were the sole user - This is how it is where I work.

If you were a courier you may have been incorrectly advised by someone looking for a sale.

As said, see what the ombudsman says or ask for a formal complaint to be escalated and ask for confirmation of this in writing.

Rides
    Ok. Now today I received a call stating that seeing as I want to cancel I need to pay the commission plus cancellation fees amounting to 500 so the total cost including deposit is now 1000, the total policy cost for the year was 1900 and I have only been insured for 2 weeks. That can't be right can it? They also want to charge me for a copy of the inception call

Should I have to pay these costs as the policy was mis sold?

Rides
    It can be right - if you've received the terms and conditions in plain English and you've failed to read them then you'll have very little success with FOS.

You need to be clear and specific in the detail of your complaint and ensure it is headed Complaint in big print. This has to be directed at the nominated complaints recipient within the policy conditions - do NOT go to FOS until you have exhausted the complaints procedure of the company or you'll get your complaint thrown out and you're back to square one.

Rides
    so making a formal complaint via email would be ok? then after that go forward to the ombudsman?

Rides
    Any communication method fine usually - but read the complaints procedure - it's there to help you.

There are timescales for complaints the insurer must adhere to. After these expire they must send you a formal final response enclosing details of FOS should you be dissatisfied. You have to wait for that stage to arrive. Jumping the gun gets you nowhere

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by user23456 View Post
    Ok. Now today I received a call stating that seeing as I want to cancel I need to pay the commission plus cancellation fees amounting to 500 so the total cost including deposit is now 1000, the total policy cost for the year was 1900 and I have only been insured for 2 weeks. That can't be right can it? They also want to charge me for a copy of the inception call

Should I have to pay these costs as the policy was mis sold?
    When cancelling an insurance policy they're only allowed to charge you administration fee's and an amount for the length of time you have been insured.

That is, if you cancel the insurance within the 2 week cooling-off period.

Rides
    they havent offered me anything like that. I think they are trying to get me to cancel without raising complaint, which i dont want to do. I have tried contacting them a few times but they are always busy and will get back to me. I might try Pming the rep on here, and if that fails, ill go there on my day off. its not too far.

In total i have been insured for 19 days, the policy is still ongoing, but with the previous problem, you are right, in the end i only had to pay for what i used.

Rides
    If you made you initial request to cancel within the 14 day window you'll be alrite, if they try and fob you off and drag it out past 14 days then thats something to take up with the ombudsman as it's obviously not on.

Your rights, within the 14 day period are set in stone and there are stiff penalties for denying those rights to a customer.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    Some insurance companies still charge an fee for cancelling within the 14 days, they just call it an admin fee instead of a cancellation fee.

Rides
    Yea they're allowed to charge an admin fee, but they can't go overboard with it.

Telling the customer they're going to charge them commission as well sounds pretty dodgy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizens Advice
    The cooling-off period starts from when the policy begins or when you receive your policy documents, whichever is later. You should get a refund of any premiums you have already paid. However, your insurer may take off a small amount to cover days when the policy was in force. They may also charge you a small administration fee.

Rides
    Sounds a lot like Flux's tricks to me.....

Never Again!!!

Rides
    Have you read your policy documents and terms of business yet!

Rides
    If i pay insurance by DD and wish to cancel mid term should i just expect to pay the 'admin' charge or will i get stung with a load of other stuff?

Rides
    this is still ongoing. and the managing director is now involved. I think they realised they made a big cock up. i have copies of all the inception calls which includes proof that they tried to overcharge for trying to cancel within 14 days. and they still had the cheek to ask me if i wanted to renew my sx with them lol