Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laughing in the face of Hybrids - Koenigsegg Regera

Rides

Laughing in the face of Hybrids - Koenigsegg Regera

Detailed OEM article here - http://koenigsegg.com/regera/

Fantastic, utterly fantastic car. 80 being made.

1100bhp engine strapped to 700bhp of electric motors configured to provide power in the 'low' spots, and no transmission of any kind, just an engine to a final drive.

Total cumulative available horsepower, 1500.

Torque at 2000rpm, 1100lb/ft

0 to 256 mph: 19 seconds.

My mind has fallen apart

Rides
    I like gearboxes, besides the fact that you get to actually hear the engine at peak rpm multiple times without doing 400kmh, it's generally more efficient to boot.

Amusingly, this car has also come from the same company who (not that long ago) said they would never make a hybrid as they were pointless.

The output is silly, but then the idea of a viscously coupled drivetrain is, dare I say it, a bit lazy actually. Reduces the calibration effort a lot but doesn't really make the best use of the powertrain.

Rides
    It's a hybrid in as much as the LaFerrari is a hybrid. That's the point. You can't run it as a fuel saving tax dodging electric car. The electric power pack is there to make the car even faster than it would have been normally.

Considering the R&D CV of Koenigsegg when it comes to engine work dude, I think calling it lazy's pretty naive.

Rides
    How is reverse engaged?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    It's a hybrid in as much as the LaFerrari is a hybrid. That's the point. You can't run it as a fuel saving tax dodging electric car. The electric power pack is there to make the car even faster than it would have been normally.

Considering the R&D CV of Koenigsegg when it comes to engine work dude, I think calling it lazy's pretty naive.
    It's not though, because you can't even use the engine below any significant speed. 8250rpm on the motor corresponds to Vmax (450kmh?), working backwards, the turbos aren't even generating any meaningful amount of pressure until 2000 rpm+ which is a road speed of 68mph, it is, for the most part, an electric car with an 1100hp range extending engine. The engine won't be doing any efficient work until mid load 3000 rpm which would be somewhere in the region of 100mph!

This is Koenigsegg trying to cash in on the hybrid "revolution", 6-12 months after they said it was pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ryry92 View Post
    How is reverse engaged?
    The electric motors do reverse, the engine is decoupled from the driven wheels below idle speed.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 12-03-2015 at 08:40.

Rides
    I'd love to see a review of this

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ryry92 View Post
    I'd love to see a review of this
    I'm sure topgear will do a review next series

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    I'm sure topgear will do a review next series
    😂 haha

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Struggling to get my noggin round this. Seems like either a genius/ingenious approach, or verging on pointless. Like others, I'd love to see a decent review & test drive.

R.

Rides
    It all seems super fantastic for speed power looks etc, till we got to the single speed gearbox bit,
    like I can't help but think you would never truly hear the thing you know like how you can rev it out a lower gear,
    this one speed speed gearbox disco would possibly ruin it for me
    of course its making silly powers (about a 1,000 NM) at like 1k revs so just tickling the throttle and its going to take off
    just the lack of cogs to swap when we want to put me off a bit

Rides
    I'm fairly, FAIRLY sure that Koenigsegg have addressed the forum concerns given their product portfolio

Rides
    Impressive car, a friend of mine worked on the battery pack for it.

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Mr K himself gives us, (the SXOC specifically) a it bit of an explanation: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr1jylROsqQ

R.

Rides
    I'm fairly, FAIRLY sure that Koenigsegg have addressed the forum concerns given their product portfolio
    LOL this!

Koenigsegg don't have a good reputation for nothing. I'm sure its gonna be awesome.

Their One:1 is some next level engineering and gives the LaFerrari, McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 a good run for their money. They wouldnt change their "winning formula" that drastically unless they knew it was an actual step forward in evolution.

Rides
    Reminiscent of the Jag XJ220 from the rear

Rides

Who's concerned? I think they have massively comprised it given their MO but hey, I'm just a powertrain engineer what do I know...

Rides
    did any of you see the new valvetrain design they had a video of on you tube, so simple you wonder why its never been used, i thought it might be fitted to this model but no mention of it. no cams, no belt or chain just a rotating crank and solenoids on top of the valves as much lift and variable timing as you want. i thought it was a great idea, clever lads.

Last edited by jj205mi16; 12-03-2015 at 20:15.

Rides
    the power figure is just numbers on paper though as you'll never ever use full power unless you are going flat out. In the real world the engine is never going to see more than 3000 rpm and where they will spend most of their lives in busy built up city's the engine will only ever be a generator for the electric motors. It wont even boost

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Who's concerned? I think they have massively comprised it given their MO but hey, I'm just a powertrain engineer what do I know...
    It all depends on if you post on more forums than the Koenigsegg engineers.

(experience * qualifications)/forums = expertise in any subject

I'm surprised you didn't know that, do you post on a lot of forums by any chance?

Rides
    Don't see how that is relevant in anyway shape or form. But I suppose that because a manufacturer who makes a handful of cars a year (but I suppose they also have a funky valvetrain which they have been unable to productionise too) has done it, it must be right and above any reproach.

Feel free to throw some reasons back why it's the best idea ever but all I'm seeing is blind faith in some one else's engineering. Only a fool would say that engineers always get it right... That one is definitely from experience.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 12-03-2015 at 22:20.