Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hsd coilovers comfy enough for daily driver?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    What spring rates are the hsd dualtech's?
    7/5 the mono pro are the same also.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    If you come towards Leicester for any reason you can have a trip in mine with DTs
    Cheers mate. but it's far from London. Will keep in mind.

Rides
    The mono pros won't be any more harsh than the dual techs dude, the MP's just offer more settings.

That and they cost more and look better IMO :P

Mine is for fast road / daily and it's fine. Not running big power or solid bush setup - just perfect

Rides
    Just ordered the mono pros they come on Monday and fitting next week. Will let you know how I get on with em. Thanks for all the great advise.

Rides
    Any opinions you can share as at the moment I'm in a similar spot you were at the beginning of this thread (torn between HSD MP and BCracing BR)?

Rides
    Hi Adams. I would love to update you on whether the mono pros where the way to go but sadly I Can't after I had them fitted I had a knee op and so can't drive. So the car is still at garage d. Very frustrating. .

Have to say though from my research it's all down to the ratios. The mp are 7/5 whcih I am told will give me a nice stiff drive on the road but if it's too harsh will look for a set that are 5/4 like the apex comfy or most likely Tein.

Rides
    I had some HSD's fitted last week, ride feels great and I use it as a daily driver, I'l got the damper settings set slightly soft at the moment but I love them

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Adams View Post
    Any opinions you can share as at the moment I'm in a similar spot you were at the beginning of this thread (torn between HSD MP and BCracing BR)?
    Mono pros are awesome for fast daily

Rides
    Hi Oberlointment, sorry to hear that, but the car can always wait - get better soon!

Thanks for the input guys, I read quite a lot on the subject and there just seem to be more people going for the HSDs and more positive opinions pop up on the net (although I also read very good things about BC racing, just less info). Since I'm in a hurry to get the car going again I just ordered a set of HSD MPs - hope to get them soon and be able to comment on my own.

Rides
    Right time for an update..knee is all heeled and I managed to pick up the car for the first time since my knee op from Garage D.

First impressions on the HSD monopros I do like the way it feels on the road, better steering, more assured and the inch lower road hight looks really great ....BUT.. the ride is way to harsh to the extent that the steering feels much lighter at high speed.
    I was running them on the softest setting but that was just to boat like so currently (in terms of turns of the little dial that stiffens them up) I am running the following
    rears 13turns
    front 0turns

Would like to hear anyone else thoughts on how the MONOPROS work for them and what set up they have?
    If these dont work out will sell (only done 60 miles on them) and put back my standard shocks and look at lowering springs any one done this route?

Rides
    haha just re-read the beggining of my post and it sounds like i got the knee op from garage d..they are so versatile those guys.

Rides
    What springs are on the HSD Monos ?

I would persevere with them for a little bit longer. You've not had chance to set them up yet !

I'd try to get a baseline setup from someone on here then adjustment once per journey moving up/down in increments of two clicks and even limit yourself to only changing the front or the back on any given journey.

0 on the front only gives you one direction to go in.

Also, I'd set up the preload on the springs first before adjusting the damping. Try 5mm of preload as a base point.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 21-05-2015 at 12:12.

Rides
    Another thought (sorry, I'm writing as I'm thinking..) have you had the car 3D aligned since fitting the shocks ? That will make a huge difference to the "light when going fast" steering feel.

Rides
    springs are 7/5.
    I could look in to getting softer ones I hear 5/4 are pretty comfy.

Yeah will stick with them for a few weeks but the roads round my way are vicious.
    Thanks for the advice will follow and let you know.
    Anyone know of a good baseline set up?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Another thought (sorry, I'm writing as I'm thinking..) have you had the car 3D aligned since fitting the shocks ? That will make a huge difference to the "light when going fast" steering feel.
    what is 3D aligned? It was aligned by garage D but not sure if it was what you are referring to.

Rides
    Sadly, you can't just change the springs on a set of coilies as the strut body length (as a consequence of static sag) and the damping are matched to the spring strength so you need to change the whole coilover.

3D alignment is where they use a laser to set the suspension up so the wheels are pointed in the right direction and at the right angle - caster, camber, toe etc. using a machine like this...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Sadly, you can't just change the springs on a set of coilies as the strut body length (as a consequence of static sag) and the damping are matched to the spring strength so you need to change the whole coilover.
    Thanks for the heads up, will ask about the 3d alignment most likely not. will see if i can get access to one and see if it makes a difference.

Rides
    Personally the best method to align a car is with a piece of string and a measuring tape, I had my setup multiple times by people with the 4 wheel alignment machines (hawk eyes etc)

I then spent a day with my mate using a piece of string and measuring for the toe, a spirit level with 2 bolts attached for the camber. Worked really really well, car felt better, and when I took it to an alignment place after the settings were closer matched than they could get on the machines.

Yes it's a ball ache, but it's technically the most accurate way (race teams still use this method) and it's free.

Personally not a fan of hsds myself. Everyone I know that has owned them has ended up ditching them for different brands

. Mx5s the rear shocks were known to fail regularly.

Know 2 people that had chasers that hated the ride the provided

At least a dozen 200 drivers that agree their not that good and went to other brands.

And I went bc racing on the e36 which I've recently taken my 87 year old grand mother out in, she didn't bat an eyelid and the ride comfort (actually fell asleep on the last 30 mins of the journey)

This is all personal experience and opinion.
    Last edited by Zornyan; 21-05-2015 at 13:28.

Rides
    I can't comment on reliability but I've had then on mine for 2 months and they are great for everyday use, the car has a firm planted ride but not harsh in anyway, I haven't had other brands of coilovers but I'm really happy with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Driftworks say you can go +- 2kg each end I have f6 r4 and like it

Stick the dampers in the middle and try a bit either way it's not really soft or hard it's fast or slow
    If you set them full fast/soft it may not control the spring right and feel bouncy

If you haven't had a proper alignment it will feel horrible to drive