Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F1 Australian GP

Rides
    I'm inclined to agree with Dr Bob, I had a worse accident, longer unconscious period and 2 skull fractures, I was out of hospital the next day and I didn't get any guidance like Alonso had.

I suspect there are other factors i.e. he passed out before the crash or had some sort of fit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Doesn't make sense,
    It doesn't make sense that he isn't allowed to return to his sport before the symptoms of the initial head injury are gone. ??

See we need more doctors like you .... I wasn't going to go for a run today, because my ankle is still a bit swollen and bruised from an injury a week ago ... I was told I should rest it until i could put full weight on it again, then start off slowly with rotational and stretching exercises and only resume full running once it was properly healed, incase I did further damage to the lateral ligament that is damaged.

your way makes much more sense though .. I should throw off this duvet and hammer the biatch .... running is after all a risk when it comes to foot/leg injuries anyway

Rides
    The world of F1 is still shitting itself after the Bianchi incident Alonso is one of the biggest names in the sport and so they are going to protect him at all costs. I suspect if it was Magnussen Mclaren would have just stuck him in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with Dr Bob, I had a worse accident, longer unconscious period and 2 skull fractures, I was out of hospital the next day and I didn't get any guidance like Alonso had.

NHS ????? ... see they could have at least have told you, try not to smack your head again like that until this current injury has healed otherwise you will make it worse. ..... sounds kind of obvious, when you think about it ... but clearly not !

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    It's not just f1, rugby is calming down on players playing after getting concussed too.

I still don't see how this accident was a 30g impact though, the wheels didn't even come off the car so looks like a slight glancing blow and the pics I've seen show much the same. I said at the time and still think there's more to this then they are letting on.

Only thing that makes sense is if something hit his helmet like it did with massa just less severe.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The world of F1 is still shitting itself after the Bianchi incident Alonso is one of the biggest names in the sport and so they are going to protect him at all costs. I suspect if it was Magnussen Mclaren would have just stuck him in the car.
    Not to mention that cricketer that died.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    See we need more doctors like you ....
    Nice trolling Johnny, well done you...

What's the age old advice if you fall off a horse?? Or are we changing that now because of this new trendy 'double impact syndrome'

According to the Beeb website Alonso has resumed physical training. McLaren quote says no after-effects.

The guidance I can find is not actually evidence based, it's consensus opinion. After a significant concussion you should avoid risk of further injury for 1 month. This double impact syndrome thingy is rare, and was described first as being seen in contact sports, mainly American football. I wouldn't describe F1 as a contact sport really. And drivers heads are pretty well-protected.

So no, to me it doesn't make sense, that's my opinion. As I said, folk in motor racing take risks, it's their job. And as Mark said, you kind of wonder what if it had been another 'lesser' driver, or another branch of motorsport. Maybe we're not getting the whole story, there are rumours flying around.

In terms of reasonableness, I don't think anywhere I've said it's not reasonable to take medical advice. I'm disappointed that on the basis of an unquantified increase in possible risk Alonso has been prevented, or prevented himself from racing. It doesn't seem to fit with what I identify as racing driver mentality if that makes sense

Hope your leg gets better soon. Fwiw in a past life I had my right ankle plated and pinned after fracturing it. I removed the plaster myself after 5 weeks and got on a running machine. It's fine. And no, I wouldn't recommend folk do that, I took a risk, accepted there may be consequences, was ok.
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    I doubt its Alonso's choice, he is the kind of driver who would race with broken legs
    Mark is right.

Rides
    The rumours are there was some sort of failure which caused him to have a ers related electric shock which is why he crashed and was unconcious/unresponsive in the video.

but thats just a rumour.

Rides
    i also think there is something more going on than we know. I suspect there was something wrong with the mclaren which is more than just a normal failure of a component.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sxbaz View Post
    i also think there is something more going on than we know. I suspect there was something wrong with the mclaren which is more than just a normal failure of a component.
    Or something went wrong with alonso and he blacked out. Richard burns springs to mind
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Press Conference

Rides
    Keep an eye on Sauber in Melbourne. Could be messy.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/31846217

If I were any other driver I'd be pretty worried about this. If this guy gets the drive, he's going to be pretty unprepared.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakko View Post

If I were any other driver I'd be pretty worried about this. If this guy gets the drive, he's going to be pretty unprepared.
    JB said he doesn't think its dangerous, its not like he's gonna be anywhere important to cause trouble anyway lol. And i presume sauber will just retire the car after a few laps if they don't want him to drive.

Rides

There is a 17 year old driving a Torro Rosso

The cars are not massively different to last year so dont see how Sauber can say its dangerous He will also have 3 practice sessions and quali to get to grips with it.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Another thing to add is manor gp are racing this weekend and their car nor drivers have even seen the Tarmac yet!

Rides

He ranks about 0.001% on the Grosjean scale of carnage.

Rides
    Quali highlights about to start!!

Rides
    WTF is going on with JB's 'tash?

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Very surprised at the Ferrari pace