Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Civic Type R - Yes I know its FWD

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides

New Civic Type R - Yes I know its FWD

So Honda released pictures of the final car... after an awesome looking concept car I was a little deflated at some of the leaked pics. Seeing the "proper" pics it looks pretty badass.

Spec as its known so far:

306bhp - 2.0-litre VTEC turbo engine
    295lb/ft torque
    0-62mph - 5.7 secs (claimed)
    Top speed - 167mph (claimed)

Price is expected to be around £30k or possible a little higher.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    So Honda released pictures of the final car...
    looks like a civic to me .... nothing exactly exciting if you dont really think much of civics.

I do like the performance though ... thats a nice amount of power to have. ... Hope it doesnt weigh too much .. although that interior looks like its going weight a fair amount

Rides
    Absolutely in love.

Rides
    Shame they got rid of the concept rear lights/spoiler setup.

About time a Type R has some torque haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattharvey12 View Post
    About time a Type R has some torque haha
    Most cars come with these great things called gearboxes you know

Rides
    Turbo VTEC? Or just turbo?

About time one came from factory with a snail on.

GF thinks it looks like an Integra/Civic combo. She's pretty on the ball imo.

Rides
    Clip of it from the ring...

Cracking video expect at 7min 48sec on the lap they cut a slightly different ending on due to it understeering on the final bend LOL

Rides
    I really want one of these! Not to sure on the Interior now mind. Those seats are gopping.

Rides
    Same Recaros as the Corsa VXR with an obvious re-trim. They've always been a bit OTT with the Red in their "R" cars.

Would be good to see if there are options.

Rides
    meh... I would take a 90s 1.6 NA Type R over this any day. This is just for boy racers who like big wings and can fit dump valves. If this was a hybrid then it would have been way more interesting.

Rides
    It's just so... vulgar
    Just looks like bits have been stuck on - those rear arches and that wing are especially hideous, and that vent on the front wing just looks like some 14 year old took a dremel to it and stuck on some vents from a popular auction site

And 4 exhausts? Really? On a 4 pot turbo? I hate the current trend for ridiculous amounts of outlets - they make things like this and the Golf R just look like a homage to chav wagon modding of the 90's.

The ring time shows they hit their target though - ruffled feathers in Dieppe this morning I'd have thought.

I know it's progress, and necessitated by emissions, but it makes me a little sad inside to see the demise of NA VTEC screamers - they are the thing that set Type Rs apart from the rest of the crowd, and now that's gone, It's like an Rx without a rotary - evidently still very good, but without that core part of its personality
    Last edited by Si; 03-03-2015 at 11:08.

Rides
    I doubt the ring time worries anyone. No one truely knows the spec of the "development" car. I fully expect Renault will laugh this off.... they needed 30hp more for 4 seconds. They will do a special Megane and easy to a 7m40 lap.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    I doubt the ring time worries anyone. No one truely knows the spec of the "development" car. I fully expect Renault will laugh this off.... they needed 30hp more for 4 seconds. They will do a special Megane and easy to a 7m40 lap.
    It won't in the public, but there's been such a huge pissing contest about the times for those 2 cars from the manufacturers that I can't imagine it goes unmissed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I know it's progress, and necessitated by emissions, but it makes me a little sad inside to see the demise of NA VTEC screamers - they are the thing that set Type Rs apart from the rest of the crowd, and now that's gone, It's like an Rx without a rotary - evidently still very good, but without that core part of its personality
    Looking at the torque and power outputs and where they are in the rev range, it sounds to me like they have gone for a slightly different approach to the competition. I suspect it'll be very linear and want to be rev'd out where a lot of the alternatives do not. I know that most will consider this a contender for the Megane or the Focus RS but if the powertrain delivers it could feel as exciting as the old ones, but in a slightly different vein.

What seems to have been removed from a lot of current turbo motors is the ability to make a turbocharged engine that actually enjoys the top end of the rev range. Hopefully this reverses the trend somewhat.

Rides
    The 4th Gen megane is due in about 12-18 Months.... that lap time will be the unofficial record until then. Lets face it, unless its in a production car its not official.

Rides
    Its FWD with a gopping interior with the red bits looking especially shite on any car with an exterior colour that is not black or red....just like the old Type-R.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Honda has always been good at ignoring their drivers/riders be it for bikes or cars, road or race. There just seems to be an endemic culture of "Honda R&D knows best"

Rides
    That Megane is pretty much a 2 seater fully peeped track car though.... What idiot would buy that? If you are going to buy an impractical two seater there are far better cars than a Renault. If mugen do an RR version like they did for the FD2 it will top the standard R and still be a proper car with seats and a boot and all that jazz. Honda have been know to make some of the best handling FWD cars. Just a shame this is so ugly.

Rides
    The Trophy R is wild, the 275 Trophy is not and is not much slower I'd imagine. Renault are the king of hot hatches IMO and they will take that lap time back, like they have every single time some challenger steps up. You can't couldnt a lap in a development car as the record.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Its FWD with a gopping interior with the red bits looking especially shite on any car with an exterior colour that is not black or red....just like the old Type-R.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Honda has always been good at ignoring their drivers/riders be it for bikes or cars, road or race. There just seems to be an endemic culture of "Honda R&D knows best"
    You seem to be somewhat of a Honda fanboi
    I think it's a bit unfair (bordering on crazy) to say they're good at ignoring their drivers - They seem to have done pretty damned well at providing rather well received 'Drivers' cars' (although in the last 10 years that's been a bit ropey in the EU market with no FD2 Trpe R)

DC2, EK9, NSX, ATR, DC5, FD2, FN2 Champ white (a response to complaints about understeer of the 'Normal' FN2 Type R), S2k to name but a few.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    You seem to be somewhat of a Honda fanboi
    I think it's a bit unfair (bordering on crazy) to say they're good at ignoring their drivers - They seem to have done pretty damned well at providing rather well received 'Drivers' cars' (although in the last 10 years that's been a bit ropey in the EU market with no FD2 Trpe R)

DC2, EK9, NSX, ATR, DC5, FD2, FN2 Champ white (a response to complaints about understeer of the 'Normal' FN2 Type R), S2k to name but a few.
    I was gonna reply but couldn't be bothered bringing up all the great drivers cars Honda have made...

The colour combo thing makes me realise that JW has clearly never owned an "R" car. Almost all the above have a Championship White + red Recaro combo to them. Its the Honda staple.