Thread: Steering Wheel Removal

Rides

Steering Wheel Removal

I need to remove my airbag wheel. I have to do it tomorrow morning but what do I need to do it? Doe it use those security splines or are they normal torx screws?

Rides
    they are big security torx bolts. T50 I think. Oh and make sure the airbag hasn't had power for 24 hours as a safety measure. Never heard of one going off whilst being unplugged but I doubt it is a nice experience.

Rides
    It hasn't had power with about 5 years at this stage so its surely safe. haha.

I hope its not a t50 the biggest I have is t40.

Rides
    I left mine for half hour and was fine and as about something like a T50

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you have a decent halfords set then you should have the correct security torx, at least mine did. Remember to remove the bottom cover on the wheel and unplug the bag etc before anything else
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    and, once the airbag is out of the way, loosen , but do not remove completely, the centre nut.

The nut still being there, will help prevent you smashing your own nose, when the wheel comes loose off its splines

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    and, once the airbag is out of the way, loosen , but do not remove completely, the centre nut.

The nut still being there, will help prevent you smashing your own nose, when the wheel comes loose off its splines
    That is possibly the best advise in the thread,I can verify that leaving the nut on when loosened
    I worked with a bloke and he tried swap his steering wheel during lunch hour, about half hour late returning to work
    we find him knocked out cold slumped in the car with a hefty bruise on his forehead

the same bloke did something horrific when drilling holes in his doors for speakers
    I recommend Don't 'feel' with your finger for the drill coming through the door
    this time we found him trapped with hand inside door and a drill bit stuck right in (and out other side) of the 'feeling' finger
    and still holding the drill with other hand
    He had been calling out for help,and passing out,coming too then passing out again for well over an hour
    totally true story he was quite simply a moron

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    That is possibly the best advise in the thread,I can verify that leaving the nut on when loosened
    I worked with a bloke and he tried swap his steering wheel during lunch hour, about half hour late returning to work
    we find him knocked out cold slumped in the car with a hefty bruise on his forehead

the same bloke did something horrific when drilling holes in his doors for speakers

this time we found him trapped with hand inside door and a drill bit stuck right in (and out other side) of the 'feeling' finger
    He had been calling out for help,and passing out,coming too then passing out again for well over an hour
    As horrible as it is to laugh, I simply just can't help it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie1992 View Post
    As horrible as it is to laugh, I simply just can't help it!
    No no feel totally free to laugh at it as he was a moron

I could start a entire thread on 'Thickies Andy has worked with in the past'

it reminded me of one ummm person lets say who was not really safe to be driving and working on cars
    He alone was many a tale of comedy startings,One day he told us how he bought a car! miles away on a farm deep into wilde Kent
    he Had a fcuked up death trap Morris Marina and the new one was an Ital! but it was a breaker
    so it was missing the whole interior and steering wheel!
    He got it home like 60+ miles journey in the dark only one side light working,
    bulbs and god knows had been robbed, as well as seats and steering wheel (remember that bit)
    with the Aid of a very old wobbly 3 legged milking stool and a pair of Mole grips, just that nothing more
    the classic line that he came out with that really killed us was 'I had to see what it could do when I got on the A2
    ,but at 90 the mole grips came off and I fell off the stool and it swerved across 3 lanes hard shoulder onto the grass verge
    ,,,,but I locked the mole grips back on FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE! and steered from that side OFF the embankment back onto the motorway
    pulled myself across to drivers side,sat back on the stool and carried on,,,,,doing 70 odd
    we were just like https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...34&oe=5549DF2D

Rides

Legend

Rides
    No no feel totally free to laugh at it as he was a moron

I could start a entire thread on 'Thickies Andy has worked with in the past'

it reminded me of one ummm person lets say who was not really safe to be driving and working on cars
    He alone was many a tale of comedy startings,One day he told us how he bought a car! miles away on a farm deep into wilde Kent
    he Had a fcuked up death trap Morris Marina and the new one was an Ital! but it was a breaker
    so it was missing the whole interior and steering wheel!
    He got it home like 60+ miles journey in the dark only one side light working,
    bulbs and god knows had been robbed, as well as seats and steering wheel (remember that bit)
    with the Aid of a very old wobbly 3 legged milking stool and a pair of Mole grips, just that nothing more
    the classic line that he came out with that really killed us was 'I had to see what it could do when I got on the A2
    ,but at 90 the mole grips came off and I fell off the stool and it swerved across 3 lanes hard shoulder onto the grass verge
    ,,,,but I locked the mole grips back on FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE! and steered from that side OFF the embankment back onto the motorway
    pulled myself across to drivers side,sat back on the stool and carried on,,,,,doing 70 odd
    we were just like https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...34&oe=5549DF2D
    Holy **** I literally can't take the smile off my face! I don't think I have any stories to match that!!

Rides
    It makes me happy that I started this thread now. lol

It was a 50 torx by the way.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    It makes me happy that I started this thread now. lol

It was a 50 torx by the way.
    In haste to post about my 'things about steering wheels' I forgot to be of any help regarding the torx size etc
    iirc the hole in the tool needed makes it a security torx, or a cnut to undo if you have a plain t50 with no hole
    air bag ecu under the base of the rear seat is held down with the same size bolts

well there was the tale of 'never remove the nut' for things NOT to do

I have many more tales from the past,can't think of any more steering wheel related ones
    my memory needs 'jogging' with a post about something like a make of car,then I remember something about it
    like Deacons thread about the Dolomite man with countless spares stored in railway carriges
    that reminded me about the time I jumped the railway level crossing in my Triumph Toledo

maybe if someone started a thread on comical motoring tales,I could chip in ,Im crap at this computer stuff
    Im a nuts and bolts man ,I struggle to post pictures ffs and spell this late at night