Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zenki Power!

Rides
    Btw, you can drive a car to and from an MOT garage with no MOT or tax. You dont have to trailer it.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    woop !

The welded diff can cause issues with many MoT places, as it means they cannot test the rear brakes on their rollers, so have to do so on the road. Some are less than keen to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Didn't think you were supposed to test the rear brakes on the rollers anyway tbh.
    Basically you can just do it the old fashioned way with a decelerometer i think. Its a garage my dad used to work at, hes a qualified MOT tester and they are his old work friends, we bring them a lot of business and thought they might help us out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsink View Post
    Btw, you can drive a car to and from an MOT garage with no MOT or tax. You dont have to trailer it.
    Yeah, problem was the car has been at my parents, a long way from any "friendly" garages. I didnt fancy explaining why I was driving 70 miles out of my way to a particular garage.

No worries tho. Drove OK back to my flat, although the speedo is reading high because of the Diff which makes it exciting. also, theres a squeak from the offside rear coilover, and I think the exhaust catches occasionally so next on the list is to get the system welded up and some flexi put in to preserve the turbo gaskets.

Rides
    Take it to wardy for the exhaust sorting he isn't too far away aswell

Flamethrower
    Rides
    think i may have to get the exhaust sorted soon, im killing it on bumps. Tracking needs doing too. But its all going well, im amazed. This weekend will be a pit stop for any more major bits before Japfest.

Rides
    You have no excuses for problems, japfest last year was the first time I had drove mine hahahaah

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Long time since an update, but I've basically just been enjoying the car - I've done about 3k miles of daily driving with no problems.

Had the tracking done at Slide, drives far better now. Only issue is that one wheel pokes a fair bit further than the other, I know some S-bodies aren't quite in line from the factory but I've made a few measurements and i reckon its had a very slight shunt on the front corner. Ahh well it drives straight.

Finally got round to getting a shroud and my RB fan fitted. I have to say, while its possible, I wouldn't recommend trying to fit a fan and shroud with the car on the ground in one piece. What a pain.

Still sits at an odd temperature tho. I don't know whether S14s and S14a's read a little differently but it sits around two thirds of the way up the white part of the gauge rather than halfway like my old S14a. Ive never had overheating problems but ill wait until I get my aftermarket gauges to see what the temperatures are like.
    Last edited by misterjake; 17-10-2016 at 12:27. Reason: piccys

Rides
    looks quality pal, like this allot. the back end looks just so good, want mine exactly like this at the back when u got the back box, where did u get it from? is it a full system or did u literally just get the back box?? if its just a back box where did u get it from?

Flamethrower
    Rides
    the exhaust looks to be a mashup of lots of bits - the backbox was donated by a mate and i think its just a cheap one, no brand name or anything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    Long time since an update, but I've basically just been enjoying the car - I've done about 3k miles of daily driving with no problems.

Had the tracking done at Slide, drives far better now. Only issue is that one wheel pokes a fair bit further than the other, I know some S-bodies aren't quite in line from the factory but I've made a few measurements and i reckon its had a very slight shunt on the front corner. Ahh well it drives straight.

Finally got round to getting a shroud and my RB fan fitted. I have to say, while its possible, I wouldn't recommend trying to fit a fan and shroud with the car on the ground in one piece. What a pain.

Still sits at an odd temperature tho. I don't know whether S14s and S14a's read a little differently but it sits around two thirds of the way up the white part of the gauge rather than halfway like my old S14a. Ive never had overheating problems but ill wait until I get my aftermarket gauges to see what the temperatures are like.
    Had the same issue in my Skyline after I changed the rad. Before it sat just below half way. Then put new rad in would always climb to 2/3 changed everything. My old man was convinced from the get go the new rad was not holding pressure. Turns out he was bloody right it had a very small hole in the top by one of the welds got a new one under warranty and temps back to normal. There will be a leak somewhere and coolent will not necessarily leak out of it.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Little bit of progress. Got some DEPO gauges from a friend relatively cheap, oil temp and pressure and water temp with all the senders etc. Not mounted particularly cleanly, but the dash isnt in great nick anyway so it didnt bother me - its all about function with this car.

Also picked up a pair of skid wheels while I was there, as I already had a bunch of 17" tires to burn.

I've started work now, so as soon as my first paycheck comes, a bucket seat and harness are on the way. Also noticed a drop of an oil leak from the rear main seal between engine and box, but it'll have to do until the engine comes out or clutch needs doing, whichever comes first!

Just want to get driving the damn thing.

Rides
    U and me both mate!!

Rides
    Skid rims!!!! shall we go play now?

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Incredibly important update.

I've bought a Mondeo badge for the boot. 99p off eBay - should transform the car.

Mostly been sat in my unit over Christmas. I'm on the hunt for some rear overfenders so that I can get it painted in early summer and attend a few drift days.

Next on the list will be a better exhaust system, current one is falling to bits I think - anyone recommend a custom exhaust builder with non-horrible prices?
    Last edited by misterjake; 04-02-2016 at 10:49.

Rides
    Go see wardy for the exhaust

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Bucket seat and over fenders have arrived, next to get are some interior trim bits and a harness. I want to paint it early summer but I'm struggling for space in my unit - wish I had a few grand for a proper job!

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Big update!

Marked out for overfenders...

Seat in, custom/bodge seat rails.

Stripping the kit off for fibreglassing.

Its been an absolute nightmare, crap fibreglass, terrible previous spray job, taken layers and layers of filler and the primer keeps cracking and reacting all over.

Buggering about fitting my boost controller. Waiting to see if anyones selling a nice centre console panel or mounting solution, as I want to end up with a half decent interior.

However! A few issues.

This thing, above the fusebox. The part number says its a nissan boost solenoid - never seen one mounted this way on an S14 before? On a proper bracket and everything, looks factory. Just a pressure takeoff going into it - and its plugged in. Car makes a nice 1bar anyway.

What is this? Its not capped off or anything, you can see another bare pipe coming from the same thing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    Big update!

Marked out for overfenders...

Seat in, custom/bodge seat rails.

Stripping the kit off for fibreglassing.

Its been an absolute nightmare, crap fibreglass, terrible previous spray job, taken layers and layers of filler and the primer keeps cracking and reacting all over.

Buggering about fitting my boost controller. Waiting to see if anyones selling a nice centre console panel or mounting solution, as I want to end up with a half decent interior.

However! A few issues.

This thing, above the fusebox. The part number says its a nissan boost solenoid - never seen one mounted this way on an S14 before? On a proper bracket and everything, looks factory. Just a pressure takeoff going into it - and its plugged in. Car makes a nice 1bar anyway.

What is this? Its not capped off or anything, you can see another bare pipe coming from the same thing.

Some come with a triple gauge set up as an option from factory this may be something to do with that. Also unless you have a map I'd dial back the boost to .85 to save things going pop.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Another update,

the car is painted! most tiring week of my life spent sanding, and sanding, and filling, and sanding.

No pictures until its back together and properly polished, however.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    This is finally finished, anyone with me on facebook/instagram has probably seen me photo whoring. I'll try get some pics up to photobucket later on.

Still needs a good few rounds of polishing, compounding, waxing every month or so but the paints turned out better than expected for a cheap and cheerful job. The seat and gauges are all in, and the car seems to run properly so i'll be booking in at HDev for a 1a ECU I reckon, in time for my first proper drift day in November at 3 sisters. Just need another pair of skid wheels.

Must admit I've been pretty down about the car the last few months, chasing issues and never driving it, I barely get chance to work on it / drive it, maybe once a month. I move to Germany for 6 months in November and after that, chances are I'll be working down south for another 6-12 months so I'm really on the fence about what to do with it. I have far too much OCD and this car is never quite going to be the car I want it to be - not without starting on a fresh shell and going from the ground up, which I havent got the time or space to do for the foreseeable future.

I bought this with the intention of having a crack at drifting so I'll do this day in November and see how I feel - too much building and not enough driving, I reckon. After that, it'll either all make sense and I will use it as intended, or its off up for swaps for a clean and tidy S13 or R32/PS13 shell, to be stashed away and someday build a cleaner more driveable car that I can get out and use. I've always wanted an S13 or R32 and this is probably my last chance before prices/rarity put them both out of my reach for a good few years.

But in the meantime, I'm getting as many miles in as possible before it has to go back into storage while I'm away, much to the disappointment of my parents, girlfriends, her parents, neighbours, local police, people over the age of 25 etc. They just don't understand
    Last edited by misterjake; 16-09-2016 at 10:08. Reason: derpy spelling

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Big update with photos on its way. Tried to sell the car as im moving abroad for a bit and not gonna use it, with the intention of getting a standard s13 or s14 project to hide away in my unit, but long story short it turns out this car was a Cat C in 2002 and nobody offered me shit for it, so its staying.
    Last edited by misterjake; 11-11-2016 at 10:15.