Thread: TV's on the fritz. Need a new one thread.

Rides

TV's on the fritz. Need a new one thread.

My old Toshiba TV has given me about 6 years service but it's starting to die. It won't switch off on the button anymore and the sound doesn't seem to work all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Meh.

So I need a new TV. I checked the last 6 months worth of posts in here and couldn't find anything so it may be the right time to start a TV thread.

Budget of around £500 absolute max! Would rather spend less truthfully. I was saving up for a rainy day and I guess this is it.

Old one is a Toshiba LCD 43" so I reckon anything could be an upgrade but I have always liked the picture its given me so I'd be quite happy with another Tosh, although I never really thought the sound on it was up to much.

Don't need the freeview stuff, have Virgin TV, and there's no TV aerial here anyway. Need at least 3 HDMI ports. I notice a lot of new TV's have a connector for the internet. Whats this for? Youtube and stuff?

Want the most bang for my buck really

Rides
    Internet is for smart functionality, like YouTube, Netflix etc. do you want 3D, then think about Active or Passive 3D. Also what size are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Funnily enough 3D suddenly occurred to me. I would like it and I had a read and passive seems to be the one I'd go for.

I've found this which seems to fit the bill http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...pdt.html#cat-0

Has passive 3D. 3HDMI ports. 47" so slightly larger. Wifi and stuff. LED which seems to be the best way to go. Don't want a plasma!

£50 over budget though....

Thoughts?

Rides
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PANA-TX42AS650B

Loved the picture on my old Panasonic.

Seems to fit the bill

Rides
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PANA-TX42AS650B

Loved the picture on my old Panasonic.

Seems to fit the bill

Rides
    Worth noting that Samsung offer the best Smart functionality, and unless it's changed of late LG use their screen panels.

Make sure you buy it from John Lewis or Richer Sounds to get a 5 year warranty, even if 50 quid more than elsewhere with their standard 1 year!

Rides
    LG are catching up with the Smart functionality now they are using WebOS. Samsung only offer Active 3D

LG make their own panels - they are actually the world's largest supplier of LCD panels.

Agree with getting it from John Lewis mind if you can. You will find it cheaper , but the warranty from JL is better

Rides
    We just got a new LG and the sound is genuinely good on it. The Samsung we had before was so bad I couldn't listen to it without speakers plugged in.

Rides
    This one seems good bang for buck http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/lg-47lb650v

Rides
    I got an LG 4k tv from John lewis for £500. No 3d for me though as I would never use it and don't know anyone that actually bothers to use theirs. I don't rate samsung either. Panasonic or LG make the best TVs in my opinion

Rides
    Imho smart tv stuff is guff, i never use my sammy smart stuff as A its rubbish and B a ps3 or pc connected does far far far better.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Imho smart tv stuff is guff, i never use my sammy smart stuff as A its rubbish and B a ps3 or pc connected does far far far better.
    This. ^^^^^

The Gigabyte Brix look quite good

Rides
    Don't bother with smart TVs imho, the user interface is crap and samsung listen to everything you say!

Rides
    Didn't want to go to a smaller screen. Even though my flat is the size of a postage stamp I want a bigger screen for gaming. I should have said I want to go bigger than 43".

Rides
    I have two LG smart tv's and find the interface pretty good, I use the smart stuff for streaming video and audio from my NAS drive ... The Internet stuffs a bit cack but it's good for streaming.

I recently got a 55 inch 3d LG and the sounds pretty good and I'm sure it's only around £550 in richer sounds

Rides
    Disagree totally with the smart comments, we use the smart hub all the time, it's great and easier than connecting a laptop. Plus I find the HD streams from iplayer or love film are as good as dvd quality with no juddering or anything, something the laptop-in-tv struggles a little to do faultlessly.

Wouldn't bother with 3d either, got it for my parents as dad wanted it, and they've used it once. Get a 47 inch instead with the money, from JL, job done.