Thread: E46 touring vs E91 opinions

Rides

E46 touring vs E91 opinions

Been trying to figure out a new car, was thinking of an E91 but (according to the internet) there are some issues with certain ones, but knowing how much hyperbole is out there was wondering if anyone had any experience with either an E91 or E46 touring and what general opinions over both are

Cheers!
    Last edited by Shotaro; 26-02-2015 at 23:03.

Rides
    They're both the same, but the E91 is a bit nicer inside and slightly more refined. E46's are workhorses though... Depends what engine I guess...

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    I have an E91 320d (non LCI) that ive had for 4 years now. In that time ive done 25k and things that have failed are, traction control pump (a weak point on 4 cylinder E9Xs and can go at any time) and a turbo die other than that its not missed a beat and Ive been very impressed with it.
    Its gone!

Rides
    We've had an E46 330i M Sport touring Auto for 2.5 years - have done nearly 25k in that time (now coming up to 140k) and it's needed a set of tyres and a pair of front lower arms (common on E46's)
    The ride is shocking on the M Sport suspension, but other than that, no issues at all. It's been a proper workhorse. It's dull as ditchwater though!

Rides
    My E46 330d touring is on a gnats pube under 200,000 miles now - I've had it since 138k and it's cost me an in line fuel pump, a pair of front arms and an ARB bush. Other than that, nothing more than maintenance items. I could argue that even those I have bought are maintenance items.

Don't get me wrong it's got its issues but it's been the single most reliable car I've ever owned.

Rides
    Brilliant, cheers everyone, I'm aiming to have a look at a few of each this weekend, but knowing something about the long term reliability is great!

Rides
    My e46 must be a friday afternoon one then, its seems to have a different bloody thing wrong every time the wind changes direction.

And yes, M sport suspension is the WORST i have ever encountered... Ride quality wise.

Rides
    I had an E46 320D a few years back, and it has stayed in the family since. It's covered circa 60000 miles in that time and is now up to about 115000, and apart from general wear and tear items, the only thing its needed was a new hinge on the rear hatch glass as it started to seize. And the switch on the back glass went wrong and started popping it open, so that had the fuse removed to stop it.

Ive recently gone back to 3 series again, but I've got an E91 320d now. It's got a lot more toys than the E46, more grunt, cheaper tax, more economical, but it's obviously a larger outlay to buy in the first place.

Both of them have been of the M sport variety, and I didn't find the ride that bad. I even added H&R anti roll bars to the 46! The E91 surprised me with the suspension, as I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it is considering it's running on 19" run flats.