Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 200's as everyday rides

Rides
    Just buy a cheap Diesel hatch and get it over with.

Pretty good MPG
    Quiet
    More comfortable than an S-body on coilovers
    Easy to park
    No Drama when it rains
    No Drama when it snows
    Able to park it on a side-street without having to worry some thieving shite will rob it/rob from it
    Don't have to worry it's going to fall apart on the way to work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post

Pretty good MPG
    Quiet
    Easy to park
    No Drama when it rains
    No Drama when it snows
    Able to park it on a side-street without having to worry some thieving shite will rob it/rob from it
    big bills when you blow the engine up when the DPF fails
    increasingly expensive to tax and run
    environmentally unfriendly
    get to spend lots of "unhappy time" in the car instead of "happy time"
    join the herd - feel like a loser

Rides
    No Drama when it rains
    No Drama when it snows
    These are easily fixed.

1. Don't buy coilovers. Or buy some that don't have spastic damping.
    2. Buy proper tyres.
    3. See above.

Rain has not been in a drama in either S13 I've owned.

Rides

Pretty good MPG
    Quiet
    Easy to park
    No Drama when it rains
    No Drama when it snows

I have gone full circle with this

Hated diesels, had a couple (TDCi Mondeo and 530D) sort of appreciated them but hated the repair bills and the constant fear of major repair bill and am now in a 14 plate Focus ST. The amount of 5-10 year old diesels i can stuck behind that i swear are giving me cancer is stupid and i cant think of a reason anymore to buy one unless you do a million miles a year. in 5 years time when the new wave of eco petrols are in the 2-5k bracket you wont be able to give a diesel car away

200s are getting more and more of an enthusiasts car, a car you want to own if you just want a quick car then there are shitloads of hot hatches to pick from and if you want a RWD car just get a 330/335 and have a comfy daily as well all in one.

So if you want a 200 then get one and try not to ruin it meaning you will buy a daily and then wonder why you have a £5k car on the drive 90% of the time and you are driving around in a sub £2k diesel eurobox. Otherwise get something newer, better specced and more practical
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    1. Don't buy coilovers. Or buy some that don't have spastic damping.
    Coilovers and a bucket seat ruined my 14a. Was fine until I added them. Sold it pretty soon after.

Rides
    I've had my 13 over 10 years for the first 4 it was a daily then I've had a carina, 4 door skyline, 2 x e39 5 series and now an e class estate as dailies.

The 13 has turned in to a competition car though. still road legal and does get used for days out every now and again.

Rides
    I had a S13 a few years ago and I loved it to bits, quite literally. Anyway, some git nabbed it in a thunderstorm. I thought I ought to replace it with something sensible so I got a diesel hatch - some Mazda 3 thing. I hated every moment of ownership and longed for the 200. I kept that horrible, oil belching sh**er for a couple of months and punted it at a loss. Now I'm back in an s-body and it feels special every time I get in.

Follow your heart, son.
    Last edited by Tanuki; 18-02-2015 at 14:04.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakko View Post
    Coilovers and a bucket seat ruined my 14a. Was fine until I added them. Sold it pretty soon after.
    The right seats make it great. I have a Recaro Speed in mine (same as I had in my old DC5) and it's perfect. I don't like the suspension that's currently on it though, or the rose joints everywhere, so I'm currently in the process of binning those.

I hope that with a less drain pipe exhaust, the suspension mods and getting the engine actually functioning as an engine... and perhaps binning the mental competition clutch... it will serve as a daily just fine. It was brilliant before that, although it was a victim of being too low hence the raft of electrical issues I now have. Every other problem it has is my own dumb ass fault!

Rides
    I hope to keep mine relatively standard but I must say coilovers have completely transformed mine. It used to be bouncy and wallowy now its firm and precise, ok speedbumps suck but other than that its awesome!

Rides
    It is possible to modify a daily but you need to be sensible and not be a fashion victim.

Coilovers - Apex Limos are stiffer than standard but only by a factor of 2 instead of a factor of 10
    Exhaust - Mongoose or Apex Sensible
    Lowering - 10mm max...if you must but get it aligned afterwards
    Interior - Just leave the seats/panels/carpet/sound-deadening the fcuk alone. Fit S15 seats if you must have better seats.
    Arms - Apex bushed adjustable arms are fine
    ARBs - Adjustable ones set to soft will eliminate almost all body roll - I use Whiteline
    Bodykit - Whatever. Deep skirts will make it look lower without the agony
    Wheels - 17x8s with proper premium tyres and a sensible ET
    Engine - 300 bhp/lbft max. or its going to get unreliable
    Brakes/ICE - Knock yourself out.

Rides
    /\/\ Sounds about what I'm aiming for Jonny!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakko View Post
    what coilovers have you guys been buying?! My mono pros have made my ride 10x better... bar the previously mentioned speed bumps...

Rides
    Yes I have Tein Monos. 6kg/mm up front is 3x stiffer than stock and the damping is all wrong.

I'll be getting them pulled apart and revalved with lower spring rates when the opportunity arises.

Rides
    Used mine (14a) every day for work for 10yrs and put a smile on my face every time till I retied, its just coming back on the
    road after a 13month refurb, not sure how it will feel with all the new parts we'll see.Lets hope I can still
    get in/out as good as before (71 this year)its a lot lower.
    Last edited by Gerry; 22-02-2015 at 08:07.

Rides

200's as everyday rides

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Lowering - 10mm max...if you must but get it aligned afterwards
    I think the -30mm that I got from Eibach springs was perfect for a daily.

I then ran Apex coilovers with 8/6 springs, they were miles too hard for everyday use IMO.

I'd go with the above and fit an upgrade factory seat, S15, Type R etc. The Cobra Suzuka bucket I had custom made was an ass to get in and out of and not very comfortable.

Rides
    To be honest I only want one slightly modded anyway, lowered, filter, bov, exhaust/decat and thats about it really, won't be changing seat, installing coilovers, etc, etc cos I want it to be a daily driver, to be honest I only work about 3 miles away but I just don;t wanna get something then 2 months down the line have bills for clutches, gaskets, internals, etc.

I know all cars need maintenance but obv a car thats 15-17 years old might not be the best choice, just f@ck.s me off how few 200's there are out there these days, serious lack of options

I'm tempted to get a cheaper one under budget so if anything does go wrong I've got a spare £500-1000 sat in the bank just incase
    Last edited by Paul C; 18-02-2015 at 20:25.

Rides
    Just be patient and wait for the right car. Then, pounce!

Rides
    A standard s13 makes a lovely daily but Christ the prices are mental now! Not sure I could quite justify it myself

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Then I modified it with way too much horsepower and it became increasingly unreliable, so I had to get something else for everyday duties
    Agreed.

At 354bhp my car was a daily driver. It had a head gasket failure, I rebuilt it, added more power, and it's been a garage ornament most of it's life since.

Tbh, a 200SX is a great daily car in mild and reliable tune. If I started again, I would definitely keep mine as as a daily car.

Edit - buy cheap at your own peril. But don't pay over the odds either. Assess the car you want to buy thoroughly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesx13 View Post
    A standard s13 makes a lovely daily but Christ the prices are mental now! Not sure I could quite justify it myself
    Define mental. They used to be stupidly cheap and now they are a very reasonably priced, quick, RWD classic.

When was the last time you heard of one selling for more than 7K and we still hear of people picking up standard autos that need little work for less than 3K.

Compared to other 80s classics, that is still cheap.