Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap 4x4 for offroading

Rides

cheap 4x4 for offroading

So i was forced to do a bit of offroading and really enjoyed it i keep seeing cheap discoveries and Jimnys and shogun

But what's a good easy to get started with that's cheap to repair.

I really like the Mitsubishi shogun swb as there is a few van type ones that look pretty cool but not sure if that would be any good.

So what do you recommend?

Rides
    Lada Niva
    автомобиль человека

Rides
    My hilux surf is the best 4x4 by far I have owned.

People who tell you land rovers are the greatest usually have never had experience of anything else.

So far I have had 3 discos a 200 and 300 tdi and td5 all have been rot box money pits, my surf has been faultless and a lot more powerful.

It will go 99% of the places a disco or defender will but it will get you home again after unbroken. The limitations are probably the wishbone front sus. But a solid axle conversation is easy enough or go for a old land cruiser - infinitely better than a land rover, there is a good reason they sell more toyota the LR in every country but this one.

Rides
    I also have had a shogun 2.5 and it was a nice drive and capable off road but severely lacked power, go for a 2.8 if a shogun floats your boat. Be careful of rot though they disintegrate pretty bad on the body as do Isuzu (not land rover bad but close) my friend ran a suzuki vitara for years and we nearly got murdered at the "Cheshire land rover club" charity punch hunt where we embarrassed £8k+ "prepped" defenders and won a farm jack

Rides
    Toyota or Nissan in my opinion. I`m a big fan of Patrols but decent ones are getting more expensive. Surfs are also nice. I would advice against a Disco, unless You want another car to use the spanners on. Or find a good Vitara, quite capapble offroad even in the stock form. Not a lot of work to lift them and fit bigger wheels.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Susuki vitaras are surprisingly good off road, they're also light which helps.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If you like shoguns, get a pajero, better spec'd and usually much less if any rot.. SWB's pajero's are great off road, comfy enough on road and can be bought fairly cheap.

Rides
    Just looked on gumtree.. 1996, 2.8, manual pajero SWB. Northumberland £695.. Seems cheap to me..
    Last edited by Loopy_drifter; 16-02-2015 at 23:07.

Rides
    I was on the understanding shorter wheel bases was better?

Is in me or are all pajero autos?

I was thinking like this

Rides
    The one i mentioned is manual..

Rides
    After owning both I prefer a auto with a big diesel, there is very few situations where a manual will benefit you but a auto will help in a lot of places such as steep assents and soft sandy starts

Rides
    SJs are good cheap fun but shit on the road which is why you always see them being trailered to and from events The lack of weight can help as they skip over the mud but its also a problem as they lack momentum.

Defenders cost fortunes, are shit inside and not that much better than a Discovery

Discos are cheap, there are fooking shitloads of them about so plenty of spares and even new parts are pennies. Loads of mods as well available that are also cheap. Yes they rust like fook but buy a welder and its not a problem. Mechanically they are pretty solid until you put massive wheels on them then they start eating half shafts and diffs but again loads of spares about and its not a massive job.

I do like the look of the SWB mk2 Shoguns though nice and chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Except most discos aren't just an easy weld repair....My best mate has fixed loads as he's a fabricator. 9 times out of 10 the wheel arches aren't connected to the chassis. And the boot floor is.....Well the top of the fuel tank :Wack: not something you want a hobby welder fixing.

Rides
    Discos are a piece of piss to weld up, I had done the majority of all the welded needed on mine and I couldn't weld before i bought it.
    Mark is right.

Rides

cheap 4x4 for offroading

Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    People who tell you land rovers are the greatest usually have never had experience of anything else.
    Agreed, although I think this refers to Defenders really. My Defender was pretty crap. Not even that impressive off road.

Consider a Jeep.

They're pretty much bullet proof and can be had for pennies. I've got a Wrangler, but if you're looking for cheap look at XJ Cherokees. Properly good off road, cheap to mod and the 4.0s are bullet proof. More fun than a Landy and without the rust issues that Discos have.

Rides
    Disco parts are only cheap if they are 200/300tdi the td5 parts are scary expensive and nearly every electronic part needs to be plugged in to a main dealer or similar computer as well to change. Even the derv injectors are serial numbered and need to be programmed. For example a wheel bearing for my 300tdi was about £25 where as one for the td5 was £180 ish

Rides
    Yeah I'm50/50 on discos while it's good they have cheap spares and upgraded parts but it seems rust and lack of power the disco 3 has too much to go wrong.

I didn't realise auto was any good till my misses said her one was a auto.

Got someone going to view a shogun swb commercial but it's got some rear end damage. But claimed low millage .

Rides
    Whats the budget? Have a 3.0 Turbo Diesel 3 door land cruiser for sale with about 10 months MOT, anyone interested?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Yeah I'm50/50 on discos while it's good they have cheap spares and upgraded parts but it seems rust and lack of power the disco 3 has too much to go wrong.
    The D3 isnt a cheap off roader though is it
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Whats the budget? Have a 3.0 Turbo Diesel 3 door land cruiser for sale with about 10 months MOT, anyone interested?
    One of these will be my next car after the surf.... How much you after for it?