Thread: Imported vehicle's MOT

Rides

Imported vehicle's MOT

Hi all, I imported S15 in the UK from Japan, just sorting everything out now and got stuck with one bit. The problem is that (obviously) the car has got no number plates (and i am not a company so cannot apply for trade number plates), I need to MOT her before i car register her with the DVLA and then get the number plates. Do you know any MOT centres in/around Chelmsford area who can MOT the car with the chassis number? I phoned the formula one autocentres and they said they can if it matches something on their computers, any others i asked said they cant, that the car has got to have number plates! Then i phoned the formula one autocentre again wanting to book an MOT and the main manager answered the phone and he said they cannot MOT the car with no number plates!!!?? any help please!? i feel stuck

GDUK JAP PARTS
    Rides
    Any MOT centre can do this for you, I don't know anywhere near you to recommend but I can get them done up here without any trouble.
    You may be better off using a small independent garage rather than a big chain, I normally find them more understanding when it comes to things like this

Rides
    They make a new file for you car and do the MOT on the chassis number. That's what my MOT guy said and done.
    When you send all your registration docs including your MOT, the DVSA send back a replacement cert with your reg no.

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    As above, the people you have phoned are speaking crap. It gets MOT'd on the chassis no. then you send of to the dvla for the registration. DVLA will not give you a reg without an MOT, not the other way round. Watch the dvla though, they will constantly give you the wrong info and send you the wrong forms becaust they are utterly utterly shite at what they do

Clickme

Rides
    As above, you can definitely MOT a car by chassis number - I've done it too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_wkd View Post
    As above, you can definitely MOT a car by chassis number - I've done it too.
    it will always frustrate and amaze me that the very people we entrust with integrity and compliance don't actually have a ****ing scooby doo about there own ****ing systems. Misleading information spouted from the mouths of the ignorant.

Rides
    thanks all for the replies, found one place that easily agreed on doing it, must be cos the owner is jap mad and imports his own cars lol i know right!?, i guess its just the thing that not a lot of places have dealt with imports and that and they just dont step out of their comfort zone to look into anything else apart from what theyve dealt before!