Thread: S15 helical diff for track use? Opinions?

Rides

S15 helical diff for track use? Opinions?

Hi all

Looking into getting a diff for track/road use, and have seen the S15 diff for sale. Just wondering if anyone's used these for grip driving and what their thoughts are? I was going to go for something like the Quaife ATB but they're obviously 3 times the price plus fitting new, and as I'll just be doing some track days/ring trips, I'm not sure I need something quite as good.

Car is a 14a, stage 1a power, coilovers, adjustable suspension arms, cage etc.

Thanks

Sam

Rides
    They work really well and would be ideal on your setup.

If you get seriously into trackdays there will come a point where you'll want to swap it out for something a bit more serious tho.

Rides
    Thanks for the reply, sounds pretty good, may have to look into one. By something more serious I take it you mean a proper 2-way?

Rides

S15 helical diff for track use? Opinions?

I've always seen 1.5 way diffs being more appropriate for track over 2 ways especially in our some what tail happy cars.

The helical seems like a nice medium if still used on road though. I think I may have just bought the diff you were looking at though!

Rides
    I'm going from a welder, so I'd go for a 2-way as it'd still be good for drifting. And you bastid! One in Herts? I'll have to keep looking

Rides
    I had the stock viscous, then shimmed, then welder, then GTR plated diff in my s14a. I'v got a Helical in my s15. Mate has a Cusco plated in his Aristo and a helical in our MX5.
    The helical are decent considering it's the cheap option (ignoring welders), R33 GTR non Vspec was my favorite by a good margin, I'm not too keen on the clunky aftermarket plated diffs.
    You will likely be content with a helical but trust me, you will love the GTR diff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    I'm going from a welder, so I'd go for a 2-way as it'd still be good for drifting. And you bastid! One in Herts? I'll have to keep looking
    Yes the very one. Sorry chap. Been after one for ages!!

GDUK JAP PARTS
    Rides
    I have this s15 diff available, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Sil...item234ab01fdf
    I can do it a little cheaper outside of ebay, give me a ring on 01487 208011

Rides
    2 ways work great on track. I found it improved the braking stability.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dazl71 View Post
    I have this s15 diff available, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Sil...item234ab01fdf
    I can do it a little cheaper outside of ebay, give me a ring on 01487 208011
    I'll keep it in mind, need to make sure I can swap them.

Is putting the 15 diff in my 14a as easy as just swapping the internals over? I've got the standard 14 VLSD in my shed, so can nick output shafts and casing from that?

Rides
    Just so you know, the ATB Helical is £1068.00 fitted if you drop it off to them

GDUK JAP PARTS
    Rides
    The diff I have for sale is in the casing ready to fit, just bolt it into your subframe and connect driveshafts, job done, no need to open it or swap internals about

Rides
    I run a 15 diff! haven't done a track day with it yet though,but seems very good on the road,controls a slide smoother than standard,and locks the both wheels quicker if driven in anger!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    I run a 15 diff! haven't done a track day with it yet though,but seems very good on the road,controls a slide smoother than standard,and locks the both wheels quicker if driven in anger!
    That sounds really good. Does it 'kick out' less than when you were running a VLSD? As it's now biasing more towards the wheel with grip as opposed to just slowly locking the axles together.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    That sounds really good. Does it 'kick out' less than when you were running a VLSD? As it's now biasing more towards the wheel with grip as opposed to just slowly locking the axles together.
    I wouldn't say it'll kick out less,but it has much more feel when it does! sends grip to the other wheel quicker so its more controllable. hope that makes sense,i'm not too good at describing things sorry

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!