Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going from PAYG to contract ?

Rides
    Giff Gaff packages are usually some of the best, you can set it to auto-renew the package too so you don't have to piss around with topping up.
    Kinda like a contract, but you can stop it at anytime you wish.

Phone-wise have you just tried a Factory Reset??

My brother was also complaining his 4S was getting slow, I don't think he'd reset it - just got out a new contract instead

Rides
    I had a mate who moved from a 55 quid a month iphone 4 (yes really, included insurance ect) to the big sony waterproof item last year.
    Took him a week to get used to it and now he is well happy, and er only 30 quid a month lol.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    Or run them off the sd card!!! most take up to 64GB some even 128GB
    Quite a few phones don't have an SD card....Motorola MotoG for example.

Rides
    Chris is right about EE around our way, they are great these days.
    The market is really competitive in that £15-£20 bracket at the moment particularly if you only need 500mb - 1Gb of data per month. It is a good time to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Be aware that BT have now bought EE so will probably fook it up in some way
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I keep thinking I should really get an Android phone but then my Nexus 7 bricked itself last night (plugging it into the charger).

My iphone 4 just works to well to consider replacing it. itunes makes you want to kill yourself though, so that is a downside.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    ...itunes makes you want to kill yourself though, ...
    Only if you download EMO music

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Oh you don't even get chance to listen to music, it spends 3 hours putting back on apps you deleted from your phone 2 years ago before it even thinks of putting music on it.

Rides
    Don't forget U2 forced their last album on everyone thru iTunes.

Rides
    So excuse the simple question but is a SIM-only deal the same as a PAYG deal ?

Maybe its not 70 apps then - its 70 icons

Just looked at the Moto G review and does seem alot of phone for the money !

Is giffgaff the same things as 02 ? I ask as half the mrs family have 02 and therefore get free calls to certain numbers. Maybe them not calling me is a good thing ?

Ive not tried a reset tbh as ive still got nearly 4gb free (its a 16gb phone) so though that would be more than enough ?

Am I right in thinking im better going into a shop to get a deal rather than online / from my carrier ?

As for Itunes dont get me started - for someone that does not use their phone for music or really buy any music its totally useless as a phone only interface

Sorry for all the questions and tahnks for all the input guys

Rides
    Quite a few phones don't have an SD card....Motorola MotoG for example.
    I'm sure just as many do, last four phones I bought have. The only one that didn't was the iphone

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpen View Post
    So excuse the simple question but is a SIM-only deal the same as a PAYG deal ?

Maybe its not 70 apps then - its 70 icons

Just looked at the Moto G review and does seem alot of phone for the money !

Is giffgaff the same things as 02 ? I ask as half the mrs family have 02 and therefore get free calls to certain numbers. Maybe them not calling me is a good thing ?

Ive not tried a reset tbh as ive still got nearly 4gb free (its a 16gb phone) so though that would be more than enough ?

Am I right in thinking im better going into a shop to get a deal rather than online / from my carrier ?

As for Itunes dont get me started - for someone that does not use their phone for music or really buy any music its totally useless as a phone only interface

Sorry for all the questions and tahnks for all the input guys
    SIM only is more like a contract where you pay a fixed amount each month but you're only locked in for a month or year. You're not financing a new phone or being locked in for two years. More flexible and cheaper if you keep your phone a long time (and don't lose/smash it all the time and need insurance).

GiffGaff are owned by and use the O2 network but technically a separate company and more like PAYG.

If it seems like too much faffing, Tesco are doing the Moto G with 750 mins, 1GB data for £13.50 a month:

http://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-mont...iff?deal=19192

Rides
    Sim only is a contract without the phone. You get a phone bill and you don't have to top up.

You can get sim only that are a month by month rolling contract or for a year (will pay a bit less for this).

Rides
    Monthly sim only is the answer, I don't imagine I'll have another contract. Just got an xperia z2 for 300 quid, it's basically the same as the z3 but 100 quid less. And 12 quid a month for 1200mins and 1 go with EE. Cheaper than contract and not locked in. The ability to sell at any time is the big draw to me!

Rides
    Went in a couple of places today, spoke to a few people and tried a few things !

Debated the sim only thing but seeing as im after a new phone anyway the costs work out about the same I think unless im missing something.

Pretty much set on a HTC One M8 I think at £28pm with unlimited call, unlimited texts and 1gb of data on O2.

So over 2 years thats £672

Even if I stay PAYG or SIM only at £15 - £20 per month and then have to spend say £200 on a phone it costs more in the long run ?

The only thing that confused me is I went in Carphonewarehouse as they had the best deal and I may not be able to keep my number going from O2 PAYG to O2 Contract so they will have to ring me back

Rides
    You should always be able to take your number. You just need a PAC code.

Rides
    Thats what I thought !

They said you can usually do it if changing network but they didnt know if you could going from different types of payment thingy on the same network !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpen View Post
    Thats what I thought !

They said you can usually do it if changing network but they didnt know if you could going from different types of payment thingy on the same network !
    That's got to be bollocks. Ring up, ask for PAC code. Hang up. Ring up again, give them PAC code

Or transfer the number to another providers PAYG SIM then transfer back to O2

Rides
    It did seem a bit odd but even said to them id do there deal there and then if they could confirm and they let me leave and will ring me back in the week ?!

Rides
    I bet the guy was wearing a badge with his name on