Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going from PAYG to contract ?

Rides

Going from PAYG to contract ?

Hi guys - kind of a "what new phone thread" but also a "what operating system thread"

Im currently on PAYG on a Iphone 4S - basically I get charged £5 a month for 300 free texts and 500Mb free data if I put £15 a month on it.

This seemed to be about the right balance for me as id just run out of the free stuff each month and start to run out of credit and then id need to top up again.

Im now wanting to get onto a contract as im fed up with topping up and having to buy second hand phones every couple of years.

My 4S currently works just how it should be although all the apps seem to be slowing it down these days - my main gripe is that ive never brought anything from Itunes in my life so I guess im paying a premium for something I dont use ?

I mainly use it for calls, texts, camera, email, ebay, facebook, games and a few other apps - I have never paid for an app so have a total of 70 things on there (including what it comes with that I cant delete). it does need to be able to take a bit of a beating though do to a physical job.

If you are still reading then many thanks

I guess basically Im asking what of the current market cheaper end would fit my bill ?

If I could get something that will do everything I need quickly and smoothly id be happy but having never used android or windows im not sure how id get on with it ?

Btw its not an andriod v apple thread - its what suits me best

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Network wise mate EE seem to be among the best around here mate. An android phone will be a cheaper tarif.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Whats android like to use coimg from only ever knowing iOS though ?

We have a Samsung tablet and tbh it seems to have a full memory and storage with just the basics on it so is just slow

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I can't comment on android really mate. I've got a samsung tab with an old version of android on it and its horrid for me. Others love it though so try it and see
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I'm coming off contract after being with it for the past 8 years. Fed up of working out how much I have forked out for it all when now a days the PAYG bolt ons are awesome value for money! Plus (Most importantly) It's either too expensive or too hard to find a contract for 12months.. I hated being tied in for anything over 12 months.

I will end mine in Aug and buy the next handset.. It'll be cheaper in the long run

Rides
    Same experience then Chris

Thats why I went to PAYG to start with ryry but it seems that once you have a phone thats a couple of years old now all the apps either slow it right down so it cant keep up or they are not compatible.

Rides
    Any high end android or windows phone will run pretty much all apps extremely well for the next couple of years, old devices (especially old android ones with very old os versions) do not compare to the modern items

Rides
    I know what you mean mate - but you're able to change phone any time you like. With being on contract if you want to upgrade early (sometimes this isn't even an option... you'd have to sell your handset and just buy the new one brand new anyway) you can't so I'd rather be on PAYG and make my own decisions.. One thing I will say is; if you're a frequent internet user like me then contract is better overall. My current plan is 10gb of 4g data per month.. I currently use between 8/9gb per month of that.

Rides
    Get a Lumia. I had a 920 for 2 years which took all manner of abuse and only managed to crack the screen when it fell from a great height onto a concrete floor last month.

Also, Windows is far more intuitive than Android imo and there is no shortage of apps these days. Everything has had an overhaul recently to Lumia Denim and it's very good indeed.

I picked up a Lumia 735 on EE for £15pm which is 500mb of data unlimited texts and I think 500 minutes. Good so far, probably not as robust as my old 920 but not bad at all.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Any high end android or windows phone will run pretty much all apps extremely well for the next couple of years, old devices (especially old android ones with very old os versions) do not compare to the modern items
    See ive never even considered a Windows one as dont know anyone with one that can give me their experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ryry92 View Post
    I know what you mean mate - but you're able to change phone any time you like. With being on contract if you want to upgrade early (sometimes this isn't even an option... you'd have to sell your handset and just buy the new one brand new anyway) you can't so I'd rather be on PAYG and make my own decisions.. One thing I will say is; if you're a frequent internet user like me then contract is better overall. My current plan is 10gb of 4g data per month.. I currently use between 8/9gb per month of that.
    Thing is for me I dont change my phone often (hence still having a 4S). As for data I must use under 1gb as im not a big browser and usually have wifi available. Also no change of getting a 4G signal round here

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Get a Lumia. I had a 920 for 2 years which took all manner of abuse and only managed to crack the screen when it fell from a great height onto a concrete floor last month.

Also, Windows is far more intuitive than Android imo and there is no shortage of apps these days. Everything has had an overhaul recently to Lumia Denim and it's very good indeed.

I picked up a Lumia 735 on EE for £15pm which is 500mb of data unlimited texts and I think 500 minutes. Good so far, probably not as robust as my old 920 but not bad at all.
    Id better get considering windows too then - ill have a hunt on youtube to see what it looks like

Rides
    All have pros and cons I have just updated a tab 3 to kit kat and its pretty quick over last os

My ace 3 is rooted and overclocked and runs a custom stripped back os it now works..... well

Iphone just......... worked I had the 4 and the 5

Rides
    Thats the thing though - I dont want to have to root and overclock things I just want them to work as ill only mess them up somehow !

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    4g is coming to taunton soon if its not here already I believe. Could pm SuperMonkeyKong on here as he runs a carphone warehouse store

Rides
    As in Austins brother ?

Ill chuck him a message

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Yep

Rides
    SIM-only deals are the way to go. For a tenner a month you get 500 minutes / 500MB with only 1 month commitment (EE, Tesco). If you commit to 12 months you get more thrown in.

Windows and Android have matured to the point where you can buy a decent new SIM-free phone for £100-150 (Motorola Moto G, Nokia whatever).

App storage is still an issue on Android but if you desperately need 70 apps (!) just buy a phone with a minimum of 16GB on board.

Can't believe how many morons out there pay £50 a month (£1,200 total) for the latest iPhone. Proper mental.

Rides
    Almost everyone in my house has moved to Motorola MotoG 16 Gb android with GiffGaff SIM.

A 4G capable MotoG is available from Tesco for £140 and GiffGaff tariff gives you the flexibility to buy whatever bundle suits you each month or no bundle.

The camera on my Gen 1 MotoG is only acceptable but all 3 phones we have are still working after a year with no faults. My wife tried mine and hated the fact that Google is "intrusive" but I just banged in the minimum info it wanted and let it get on with it.

These are the goodie bags you can buy from GiffGaff.

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags-3g

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lhassall View Post
    SIM-only deals are the way to go. For a tenner a month you get 500 minutes / 500MB with only 1 month commitment (EE, Tesco). If you commit to 12 months you get more thrown in.

Windows and Android have matured to the point where you can buy a decent new SIM-free phone for £100-150 (Motorola Moto G, Nokia whatever).

App storage is still an issue on Android but if you desperately need 70 apps (!) just buy a phone with a minimum of 16GB on board.

Can't believe how many morons out there pay £50 a month (£1,200 total) for the latest iPhone. Proper mental.
    Or run them off the sd card!!! most take up to 64GB some even 128GB

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ryry92 View Post
    You can get SIM only Contracts which don't include the cost of a phone.

Just realised beaten to it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    You can get SIM only Contracts which don't include the cost of a phone.

Just realised beaten to it
    This is most likely what I'll be looking into