Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going from PAYG to contract ?

Rides

Thought id get hold of O2 to ask about the keeping the number issue and if they could match the Carphonewarehouse offer.

They instantly said I could keep my number but the best deal they could give me was another £10 per month for the same minutes and calls with an extra 1gb of data (that I said I didnt need).

They then said (and these are the exact words copied from the online chat) :
    Carphone warehouse are third party dealers and we do not match the deals with them.
    The benefit you get for being an O2 customer directly is not with them.
    With us you're not tied with the contract for 24 months.
    You can pay off the phone plan anytime and cancel or upgrade the contract.

In response to that I said :
    I have no issue with the contract length though - I generally have my phones for 2 years or more. Surely if I went with them (carphonewarehouse) and then had a billing issue or network issue id still come back to you guys (O2) to resolve it ?

Continued along the lines of :

Them : Yes you'll need to come to us as we only provide the customer service.

Me : So I dont see what id benefit coming to you guys and spending another £240 over 2 years ?

Them : Let me help you with some discount. (tried to go through a company scheme but my company is not on their list so could do no discont).

So now im even more confused - if I take a O2 contract out with CPWH (cba to type it anymore) then is the contract with O2 or CPWH ?

And if so whats the difference ?

Rides
    CPWH are a shopfront that sell different providers contracts.

O2 is a contract provider. So is GiffGaff, Tesco, Sainsbury, Virgin and god knows how many others.

To make it more confusing, O2 are also a network service provider (there are only a few of these).

So, I could buy a Tesco contract or PAYG SIM from CPWH and the network service provider would be O2

However, O2 and the others hate that CPWH undercut them and this is part of the reason one of the big players went under a little while ago after the big players refused to supply them anymore.

So, what does it mean for you...?

If CPWH are offering you a decent deal go for it. Your contract will be with O2 and they will provide the network service so, as long as you get good signal on O2 in your area, you'll be fine. Just don't assume that any deal CPWH offer you is the same as one that O2 will offer you. CHECK, don't assume and whoever you go with, read the small print

Rides
    Well for the same phone with the same deal CPWH are cheaper and ill guess ill do it online as instore knowledge does not fill me with confidence !

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...Upgrades=false

What might I be missing then ?

I see the "unlimited" bits have an asterix next to them but nowhere explains why ?

The only other I guess is that if the voicemail, MMS etc are included in that "unlimited" bit ?

Or am I missing something blindingly obvious ?

Rides
    The star relates to a fair usage policy. It is unlimited, but........

Rides
    But....... ?

Dont work on freephone numbers, abroad etc ?

Rides
    Deal for the HTC is good if you desperately want one. I'd check you're happy with the size/weight first though... Are you used to having a 6 incher in your pocket?

Buying from Carphone Warehouse you're effectively buying SIM-only and financing the SIM-free phone, they just wrap it up into one purchase/payment.

It's true you might have to transfer your number to another network (£1 PAYG SIM) and then switch it back, especially buying from a third party. My parents had to do that once.

Always switch to SIM-only when the contract completes and the phone is paid off. Otherwise you're paying over the odds for a phone you already own!

You can see it's actually less faffing in the long-run to get on a SIM-only deal you're happy with and let it run, then just buy your phones as and when you need. Downside is you can't buy the latest super-duper flagship phones as they're always a rip-off SIM-free.

Only effort is in hunting down the best SIM-free deals but there's always good phones being discounted somewhere:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/mobiles/deals/hot

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpen View Post
    But....... ?

Freephone numbers will be free on all networks in a few months. Until then there's apps that'll redirect you via a landline number.

Rides
    But....... ?

And aren't free if you decide to send 10,000 text a day etc.

Also premium rate numbers and texting those reality TV shows etc

Rides
    The asterisk isn't anything to worry about.

Its for people who take the p!ss.

"Unlimited" in this context means all you can reasonably use as an individual using the phone for personal use.

If you start using it to stream everything you can find 24hrs a day every day of the week, they won't consider that reasonable use.

Your use profile that you described above wouldn't even hit 10% of what they would still consider reasonable.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lhassall View Post
    Deal for the HTC is good if you desperately want one. I'd check you're happy with the size/weight first though... Are you used to having a 6 incher in your pocket?

Buying from Carphone Warehouse you're effectively buying SIM-only and financing the SIM-free phone, they just wrap it up into one purchase/payment.

It's true you might have to transfer your number to another network (£1 PAYG SIM) and then switch it back, especially buying from a third party. My parents had to do that once.

Always switch to SIM-only when the contract completes and the phone is paid off. Otherwise you're paying over the odds for a phone you already own!

You can see it's actually less faffing in the long-run to get on a SIM-only deal you're happy with and let it run, then just buy your phones as and when you need. Downside is you can't buy the latest super-duper flagship phones as they're always a rip-off SIM-free.

Only effort is in hunting down the best SIM-free deals but there's always good phones being discounted somewhere:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/mobiles/deals/hot
    The phone seems to be the one id be most happy with trying and seems to have a good reputation - im not really a big rist taker

I can find a good SIM only deal but then I still have to buy a phone. By the time ive added the cost of the phone in it takes the monthly cost up to over £32 again so costs me nearly £100 more over 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by lhassall View Post
    Freephone numbers will be free on all networks in a few months. Until then there's apps that'll redirect you via a landline number.
    Will they ? Thats good to know then

Curious on the apps for now though - is there a main one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    And aren't free if you decide to send 10,000 text a day etc.

Also premium rate numbers and texting those reality TV shows etc
    Certainly cant see me using excessive amounts with my useage !

Never bother to ring premium numbers as im too tight and would not dream of texting over a TV program

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post

"Unlimited" in this context means all you can reasonably use as an individual using the phone for personal use.

If you start using it to stream everything you can find 24hrs a day every day of the week, they won't consider that reasonable use.

Your use profile that you described above wouldn't even hit 10% of what they would still consider reasonable.
    Thats cool then

Basically looks like the CPWH deal at £28 per month is where im at then as cant find another option that gets me the phone and the network for less than £672 over 2 years !

Rides
    HTC One M8 - £390 - http://www.expansys.com/htc-one-m8-s...rKwaAhj-8P8HAQ

12-month sim-only deal with unlimited mins & texts, and 1gb data on EE through Virgin - £12/month = £288 over 24 months - http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-...nthly-sim.html

Total = £678. However, use TopCashback (http://www.topcashback.co.uk/expansys-uk/) to buy the phone and get 3.53% (£13.76) back, and more importantly you can then sack off the phone/contract after 12 months when you're bored with 1 the day battery life

Rides
    Will they ? Thats good to know then

Curious on the apps for now though - is there a main one ?
    0800 Wizard

Bare in mind the HTC One M8 is being replaced in 3 weeks and will become cheaper everywhere.

That Tesco Moto G contract comes in less than half the cost (£324) with the same amount of 4G data on the same network So good deal or not, you're paying a hefty premium to have the latest phone (which by the end of the contract will be a 3 year old design anyway).

Rides
    Spot on chaps - just signed up for a pay monthly sim card so that the hard bit out of the way.

Once ive got all that setup in my current phone with the number swapped over etc ill then get on the case with buying a HTC

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post

That would be valid if the unlimited was referring to data.... but it only provides a gig