Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Xtrail 2.2CDI

Rides

Nissan Xtrail 2.2CDI

Anyone owned one? Im mulling over buying an early one, approx 2004 and they seem pretty decent going by reviews but just wondering if anyone has first hand experience of them? One comment Ive seen mentioned is that they lean a lot while cornering. This concerns me as for it to be worth mentioning it must be fairly significant. Ive noticed that an uprated rear ARB is available though which would help with that.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    I dont know anything about them but i know 3.2 shoguns kick ass. I can properly hustle my one round the bends and it stays really level. I have no idea how it does it because it weighs 2.5 tons and can go off road. Its light years ahead of the old shape
    Last edited by kxruss; 05-02-2015 at 21:45.

Rides
    I think Geoff (bubble) had one. Might be worth a pm if he still gets the notifications

Rides
    Something in my head is bumbling on about rear diff issues, may be total nonsense though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Something in my head is bumbling on about rear diff issues, may be total nonsense though.
    No, you're right, there's something about them...

When I was looking for a cheap 4x4 a few years ago I considered them, but for some reason dismissed them based on perceived reliability... And bought a Land Rover.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    I think Geoff (bubble) had one. Might be worth a pm if he still gets the notifications
    Yep he had one for a few years, never heard him moan about it
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    My mum had one new in 2005, after 45k/5years the turbo went! Common issue that nissan covered under an extended warranty they provided just for turbos. intercooler split 6months later common issue that people refurb, had a couple of wheel bearings on the O/S. then the last straw was the fuel pump failed, there's a few valves on top that pack up and kill it, again a common issue. So that was £1500! She sold it and bought a skoda yeti and a 350z! The xtrail had done 65k! Also the rear diff bushes fall apart causing clonking, but didn't affect my mums.

The engines sound like they knock their heads off all the time, pretty normal! They are abit tinny, but aren't too bad if it's had all the work done!

Rides
    the diff thing may be true, i imagine they share some stuff with the navaras and i know the navaras have had a few diff issues, housemates old one shit its diff before he bought it... £1500 worth

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S15_SAM View Post
    My mum had one new in 2005, after 45k/5years the turbo went! Common issue that nissan covered under an extended warranty they provided just for turbos. intercooler split 6months later common issue that people refurb, had a couple of wheel bearings on the O/S. then the last straw was the fuel pump failed, there's a few valves on top that pack up and kill it, again a common issue. So that was £1500! She sold it and bought a skoda yeti and a 350z! The xtrail had done 65k! Also the rear diff bushes fall apart causing clonking, but didn't affect my mums.

The engines sound like they knock their heads off all the time, pretty normal! They are abit tinny, but aren't too bad if it's had all the work done!

Man your m.om must love car break downs skoda/Vw eletrics are shocking i just really hope she doesn't have an alarm.

Rides

Christ. That puts me off them to say the least. Im still undecided whether to go soft-roader at all TBH and the Xtrail seemed like the best of the bunch with apparently good on road performance, decent off road, nice inside, lots of gadgetry, decently quick acceleration and good mpg.

Others Ive been looking at are Suzuki Grand Vitara and Toyota Rav4 but they arent as quick, fuel consumption isnt as good and the interiors are quite as nice.

Might just go for an Audi quattro diesel instead, it wont be any where as good off road but its only got to cope with muddy tracks and field once a week.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!

Rides
    What are peoples thoughts on TD4 Freelanders? They seem a bit underpowered and slow but for the money they go for a remap wouldnt be out of the question.

Rides
    Soft roaders are for old people. My mums got a petrol crv and i recon my diesel shogun is quicker and handles about the same. I would be a bit dubious about anything with a green oval on it. My mate had a tdv6 disco recently and the hand brake broke costing £500 to fix and another mates uncle had a bcu fail due to the sun roof leaking on a disco costing £1000 odd to fix. The chap i was working for in oz had a new nivara and that had a new diff, turbo and clutch by the time it got to 60,000 miles.
    Last edited by kxruss; 07-02-2015 at 23:10.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kxruss View Post
    Soft roaders are for old people. My mums got a petrol crv and i recon my diesel shogun is quicker and handles about the same.
    Awesome. Thanks for the contribution.

Rides
    Depends what you want from it really - mpg, towing weight, green laning etc ?

Rides
    I don't mean to get your back up i just don't see the point in them. They cant tow proper weight and are worse than a normal car on fuel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Man your m.om must love car break downs skoda/Vw eletrics are shocking i just really hope she doesn't have an alarm.

No cars are perfect! The yeti has been back to the garage once so far with egr issues!

With all of today's modern gadgetry, and cheap mass manufactured electronics, it's going to make owning them out of warranty a horrible experience! I will stick to pre 2002 cars!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kxruss View Post
    I don't mean to get your back up i just don't see the point in them. They cant tow proper weight and are worse than a normal car on fuel.
    As I mentioned before, its got to cope with muddy fields and lanes which a 2wd car wont do but still do reasonable mpg, be reasonably nippy on the road and be a nice place to be inside. I dont want a 'big' offroader like your diesel Shogun as they are all slow as sh1t and the size is totally unnecessary for my needs. Autotrader says a Shogun does 0-60 in 16.8 & 26mpg! An Xtrail, does 11 seconds & 47mpg, much more like it.

Hence looking at soft-roaders.

p.s. Im 44 this year, does that class as old yet?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter200 View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on TD4 Freelanders? They seem a bit underpowered and slow but for the money they go for a remap wouldnt be out of the question.
    Had a 2004 (Facelift) TD4 Freelander HSE for three years. Was genuinely the most reliable second hand car I've owned. Was better than you'd think off road, was pretty good to drive on it and was pretty loaded. Heated seats, auxiliary fuel burning heater, integrated navigation, full leather etc.

If I needed another cheap soft roader I wouldn't hesitate.

They have their weaknesses which you need to be aware of when you're looking but buy carefully and be prepared to spend £250 on a replacement VCU and you'll have a good car.

Rides
    what about a 4x4 skoda Octavia? im guessing that will be ok for dirt tracks

Rides

the 2.2dci is renound for turbo failure at relatively low milage <60k