Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking for parts?

Rides

Breaking for parts?

Anyone know how much roughly people could get for breaking a Stage 3A + S14A?

I know if you sell the car as a whole, you will be losing money and thats why a lot of people are breaking them instead when they try to get rid of it. but does it make a big difference?

Rides
    The problem with breaking is all the good parts go fairly quickly 1-3 months but it's all the other things you end with which you then have weigh jn or hold on and sell. I think I'd rather sell as a whole Tbh.

Rides
    If you've got the space and time, yes it is more profitable.

Or, you could try and sell it whole which is less of a ball ache. I broke my RX-7 for parts. I wouldn't go through the process again, it was shit.

Rides
    I totally agree, oem parts tend to stay for a very long time. Especially those when ppl tend to upgrade

Rides
    What happen zeppelin? Is it like ghost said, it took u long time to sell everything?

Rides
    I'd have thought with a Stage 3 that unless it had a decent chassis spec it would be better to sell as a whole.

Rides
    I broke both my astra turbo's i had and made double the value of a sale but it took 6 months ish to get that money from them, and i broke a written off rx7 for 2k more than i paid for it and i've still got loads of parts in my garage 18 months after i started breaking it.

Best thing to do is add up a rough value of every part you think will sell quick, then do another list of the oem parts and stuff that won't sell quick, add it all up and factor in a few months to shift everything and see if its worth it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clngai View Post
    What happen zeppelin? Is it like ghost said, it took u long time to sell everything?
    People change their minds, one minute there is loads of interest in items then there is none. Typically you're left with a lot of high value stuff which sits around for ages. The bits of the car took up the majority of a double garage.

I actually still haven't sold everything from it even. There is still a gearbox and an exhaust sat in my parents garage. I gave up advertising them, I'm waiting until I have enough arsed to go and throw them away at the tip...

Rides
    It's also all the waiting for people or couriers for collections then you get a fair few who don't turn up or want to know if you will take half the advertised price.

You also get some really rough people turn up which makes you nervous especially when 5 of them come for a door mirror :/

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If the car is in good condition is sell it as a whole. If it's not worth repairing or really tatty then brake it.

I enjoyed breaking the car I had but it took a lot of time and I've still got to scrap the shell as it's taking up my entire garage.

Should be able to get around 5k within a few months imo.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Sit down and realistically price the parts up.

Then account for time it takes and the fact you have to store an immobile car for around 5 months.

And look at current market value (not on SXOC) of 200's and see where yours slots in that market.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Ya, i should price all the parts up and see how it goes. Yhe thing aldso concern me is how do ppl sell their engine. I have never taken an engine off and how do they test it if its out of the car.

Rides
    You'd be better making a video of it running with a camcorder and a microphone so they can see and hear it before it comes out. And compression test it as well. But realistically, if the long block is standard then it's not going to be worth heaps of money.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Do a compression test and film/photograph the results and take a good quality hd video of the engine running in the car from cold start up.

It costs about £100 to send on on a pallet possibly more if you insure it.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Ai ok mine is just a standard engine at around 70k miles with rocker arm stoppers fitted.

Rides
    Oh and becareful breaking it on your drivers if you get reported by a neighbor unless you have correct environmental permits you can get a fairly big fine . Was reading about it on another forum ill try and find the link

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Only if you don't degas the aircon using a pro I'd of thought. Otherwise it's no different from restoring a car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Only if you don't degas the aircon using a pro I'd of thought. Otherwise it's no different from restoring a car.
    Nope you have to prove you can dispose of all the oils and anti freeze safely without environmental damaged but means you can't get a certificate from the oil bank at the local tip you can't prove you didn't just tip it down the drain. The air con i know about upto 20k fine. But for the rest you really should have permits even normal garages should have waste licences. Tho I'm guessing the main reason they want you to have permits is so they can lookin to taxing you.

Rides
    I got a scrap yard and those disposal center around the corner, does it count as a proof lol

Rides
    Sell it as a whole car mate,breaking cars can be a pain in the arse
    as in getting quotes for postage for large items and never getting replies,weighing parts etc time consuming stuff
    then getting the parts off intact,as in sell something,go to take it off and bolt shears/something breaks
    waste of time as its now knackered and you have to refund or explain its busted
    your get about 1.5k quickly from the sought after bits selling quickly
    then you will have possibly a rolling shell to worry about for the next 6 months,or in my case about 2/3 years
    Good cars are fetching 5/6k or at least 4k,you wont get that from breaking it imo

based on me breaking two 14a's selling the bits on here,
    and countless other cars I broke up over the years I have been dicking about with car's
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 16-01-2015 at 12:19.