Thread: Rizzy's RX7

Rides

Rizzy's RX7

Hello again everyone, so then, here we have my 1995 Mazda RX7 FD3s daily/becoming more and more of a drift car...

I'll keep this first bit brief as I just quickly bring you up to speed to how the car stands today.

When I bought the car, it had a few modifications such as the MS01's, Apexi Management, BoV, and aftermarket XSPower intercooler. Besides the intercooler, I was pretty darn happy with everything

Sat around approximately the 80k mark on it's first engine, bodywork in extremely good condition, it was very clear that this car had been cared for. None the less, with the standing reputation of these cars, no tax, no MOT, 2 or 3 sheets of Japanese service history, and the fact that it had apparently been sat nearly motionless for quite some time. This was by far one of my more risky purchases. Needless to say, it turned out to be one of, if not, the best

So the engine still lasted about another 5 months before finally letting go of one of the bearings in relation to the eccentric shaft.

The sound track for that goes a bit like this...

http://vid1194.photobucket.com/album...ps2bf10b42.mp4

Decided to have it street ported with uprated seals while it was being rebuilt as I do plan to go single turbo at some stage when funds allow.

And jumping ahead now quite drastically now to how the car currently sits today.

As you can see, a fair bit has changed with plans for plenty more down the line. But I'm at a stage now where I'm happy and I can thoroughly enjoy it, so I'm in no massive rush.

I managed to get it down to a DWYB day back in September which was awesome.

Only problem I had was that I was using a friends stock S14a wheels on the rears and found it very unmanageable to what I was used to. So ended up spending most of my day in the pens destroying his tyres instead

Had a few half decent goes on the kidney but I'd really like to get back there in the new year as I feel I've progressed a lot with it since that day having learned a lot while I was there.

The last thing for this year was a trip to Curburough with a few friends for a day of fun and a bit of Handbrake practice

http://vid1194.photobucket.com/album...psm5n7tmtg.mp4

I'm still toying with the idea of welding the diff as, needless to say, the car is definitely heading in that direction.
    The rats nest has also been simplified down by a friend, so a few more removals and it will be setup to run non-sequential which is something else that I'm pondering. Just on the basis that all of the above would definitely benefit it when attempting to see the world sideways...

Cheers for reading
    Last edited by rizzy; 07-01-2015 at 13:29.

Rides
    Like i said on your other thread! love these!

Liking the rear diffuser!

any plans to add a rear wing?

Rides
    Funnily enough it did have a wing for quite some time...

But once the new coilovers were on and the rear diffuser, it all just seemed a bit much when looking at it from behind. I think the main problem was that the wing wasn't quite big enough :P

If I was to fit another one then it would be a proper BGW. Either that or nothing at all

Rides
    I've seen this a few times before thanks to OH media Sweet car man makes me miss my one.

Rides
    Love 7s If you wanna sell that spoiler just let me know mate

Rides
    Yeah Ollie is a fantastic photographer, love his work. Planning a few more shoots throughout the year too so expect to see more

In regards to the rear wing my friend, you have PM!

Thought I'd also share with you yesterday's activities...

Winter has been a bit rough on the old girl so I took it down to my good friend and detailed for a once over

Result!
    Last edited by rizzy; 07-01-2015 at 20:37.

Rides
    Stunning, have always loved these cars

Rides
    Cheers man

Right then, plans for the first part of this year then are as follows;

- welded diff
    - convert to non sequential
    - replace clutch (this very well may have jumped up the list...)
    - roll cage (safety first )
    - Mapping

Those are the key points I'd like to tick off. The first 3, clutch especially I should get done by the end of next month, but the other 2 are just a case of funding.

A lot of people dislike the fact that I'm turning this car into a skidder. But the way I see it is, I'd rather get the most enjoyment out of it as possible, than baby it and pretend like it's going to last forever. I did that with a previous car and ended up writing it off, simply, on my way to work one morning at 30mph. And I still regret not using it properly on track days etc.

Rides
    Ok then... Add a new rear diffuser to the above list

The snow ate mine during last nights outing

Rides
    So last Tuesday I went and picked up this...

Yesterdays antics consisted of doing this...

To make a bit of this...

Now just need to find the time to fit it :P

Have also decided that I'm just going to make the old diffuser fit based on the age old principle that cable ties will fix anything. Been offered a few decents ones but they're all a little bit too much because they're such good condition. I don't see the point in putting a nice new one on for it to just get scratched and ruined again.

Rides
    Lovely car, sorry but that welding on the diff is terrible. Id advise you redo it with the power and wire feed up alot more.

Rides
    Haha I am aware of that, as is the lad that did the welding lol. Unfortunately we had an issue where the welder kept blowing fuses when on the higher setting. The above weld wasn't the main side that we'd managed to finish before it started playing up. Confident it'll hold