Thread: using 12v car headunit as mains powered HiFi.. how to?

Rides

using 12v car headunit as mains powered HiFi.. how to?

As above,

Have numerous old headunits and speakers and would like to knock up a mains powered setup for my garage.

I Realise I need to change the voltage down. Has anyone done similar and what ampage power regulator have you used?

The web seems to suggest 5amp min but preferably 8amp and a smooth power supply which seems to rule out PC psu's.

Yes I could use a battery or battery charger as a power source but ideally would like a more refined solution.

Also in a car, the HU earths through the antenna.. How could I get around this problem?

Thank-you all.

Rides
    An old school atx psu from a pc will do it no problem, just make sure its not some piece of rubbish from a dell or hp.

250w output will do.
    12v lines in modern computer psu's can go very high, we have ~500 watt video cards to run off off 2x12v lines and 75w from the pci bus so they need a lot more current across the 12v than 5 amp lol.

Rides
    I used to have an old bench power supply I used to run CB units when I was a teenager - always handy for testing out car stereo !
    GMasterT Heavy Industries!for all your Widget needs

Back to Jap with Mk2 Aristo & Nissan Elgrand

Rides
    Sideways14a knows the way forward.

I have a couple of old PC PSUs I have converted. Chop out all the crap you dont need, leave the black wires and the yellow wires (please check your PSU first, it may be different). Bob's a fairly close familly member

Rides
    I got a 12a 13.8vdc lab supply on eBay for about 15 quid I think

Rides
    Most head units have an earth wire.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spm_steve View Post
    Also in a car, the HU earths through the antenna.. How could I get around this problem?
    Didnt notice this on first read.....

Not strictly true
    Most HUs earth to their case, the antenna screen is also connected to the case and the other end is generally connected to the car body. This 'creates' an earth but its not ideal. As said ^^up there^^ most have a wire anyway, if not, use the case

Rides
    An Xbox 360 PSU also does the job.

Rides
    Thanks to all.

Rather then buy a new PSU I've got hold of A couple used, from a mate in IT support. Both are 220w at least and Should be plenty powerful enough.

If my garage spec system goes to plan I may further refine the system for kitchen use.

Rides
    Need a new stereo in our milking parlour. Way back when I was younger than I am now, we used an old car stereo powered by a Scalextric PSU. Current setup is a £5 from ebay Dennon tuner (around £120 when new apparently) and a Marantz base model amp which was the first amp I ever bought but now seems to be knackered, and the speakers are from the old SXOC hifi we killed at Le Mans a few years ago and replaced... the speakers were going to be binned or burnt or have Deacon let loose on them so I decided to give them a few years more service entertaining our cows while they get milked.