Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which trolley jack??? Long, low and cheapish

Rides

Which trolley jack??? Long, low and cheapish

Been covered here before but I couldn't find something suitable.
    OK, I've been looking for a trolley jack for ages and Machine Marts no vat sale has spurned me on again.
    Basically, I would like more room to move under the car as my cheapo jack barely lifts the car off the ground. The other problem is that now that my car is lowered (the front bumper is about 85mm off the tarmac) it is impossible to get my present jack under without riding up on my crappy homemade wooden ramp.

There's this Draper but I don't think it will reach the front crossmember (Ive got amazon vouchers to spend as well)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-31481...e+trolley+jack

Then theres the Clarke one, same problem of reach though
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...trolley%20jack

And this one might have the reach but it is only 1.5 tonne
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...trolley%20jack

Or this kind of crappy looking but super long reach Liftmaster but it only lifts the car 375mm
    http://cartrolleyjacks.co.uk/home/3-...l#.VKPP3CusUwM

Finally the SGS one which I quite like but is a compromise on clearance (98mm)
    http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydra...e-trolley-jack

So, super low, long reach trolley jacks that are under £150. Recommendations if I am missing any please.

Or do I need to just settle for one of the above and jack the tow hock on the front with the old one and then slide the better jack under the front after that? I just don't want to be bothered using my crap ramp anymore.

Ps I use axle stands too, so don't fret

Rides
    Stay clear of machine mart jacks imo. Get yourself an arcan jack got one of the steel ones, there heavy but they slide under low cars easily and go nice and high too. Had mine for 2-3 years now and it's still as good as the day I got it. Pretty sure arcan do lightweight alley jacks too if ur after something light.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Arcan always come out as the clear choice on these threads. I have the ally one from Costco and its fantastic.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Home made wooden ramps are a win in my eyes save u spending loads on a jack that will never reach as far as u want! Plus u cant get enough reach without sacrificing the height of the Jack! Also I would stay away from jacking and the front cross member as u never no how weak/rusty it could be even if it looks strong! I'd always kick myself if I did and it bent or fully gave way from internal rust! I always jack on the front subframe and diff for the back! I bought this jack on a vat free day last year at machine mart

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...inium-garage-j

Quick lift and up to 465mm plus Nilon wheel so it doesn't sound like its gunna fall apart when moving it! Works for everything I have ever needed it for and got it high enough for comfortable working under the whole car (and I'm not exactly the skinniest guy ever!) plus the arcon lightweight jacks look to have the same design as the Clark 1's anyway so...
    Last edited by racs; 31-12-2014 at 10:13.

Rides
    Avoid aluminium ones as they are wobbly, I use the 2tonne red steel one from machine mart for the money it's spot on really strong and lifts pretty high

Rides
    I bought a super long low entry jack from SGS. Amazing lift height, something like 800mm but its defo a garage jack as it weighs a ton!

EDIT
    not as low entry as i remembered but i use some cheap plastic ramps push the car onto them then lift from there.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydra...s-trolley-jack
    Last edited by CNHSS1; 31-12-2014 at 15:32.

Rides
    I bought the Arcan one in summer. Not used it yet, but been wanting one for years. A month after I got it, I noticed Costco have now swapped it for a cheaper model, Not sure if it's a Draper one. I was so pleased I eventually got it

Rides
    My expensive Sealy one failed, avoid jacks that have a quick lift function as they degrade over time to become a slow droop function.

I bought some caravan ramps, about 2 feet long and 4 inches high from Halfords, they work brilliantly to jack the car high enough to get under the splitter.

Not sure what I'll do when I get another car, lightweight is tempting seeing as it was the hydraulics that failed anyway in my current one.

Rides
    Still doesn't seem to be anything out there. BTW /\ /\ GO LEAFS!!

Rides
    I've got that 2nd Clarke one, the 1.5 tonne one and it's sweet. It's super low and long so easy to get under a low 200 and you'll never lift more than 1.5 tonnes anyway. I got it cause it lifted quite high so it's easy to get axle stands under.

Rides
    I was after an Arcan one for christmas as always get great reviews but couldn't see it in Costco... So ending up getting this: http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydra...m-trolley-jack

Been using it for the last few days and its been great, slides straight under the car (mines pretty low) feels solid nice long handle (and comfy grip), fingers crossed it lasts
    Last edited by Davus200; 31-12-2014 at 18:04.

Rides
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1713623039...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've got this one, it's not the lowest entry but its low enough to get under my 180sx and it only weighs about 16kg so its nice and light!

Looks like The poster above has the same jack just bought direct, and he posted whilst i was posting lol.

Rides
    Do not, under any circumstances, however useful it looks, buy this one:

Or this kind of crappy looking but super long reach Liftmaster but it only lifts the car 375mm
    http://cartrolleyjacks.co.uk/home/3-...l#.VKPP3CusUwM

We had one that went down in less than an hour, so returned that, second did the same so we returned it, (at our expense), and asked for our money back, which we were promised, but after a month of arguing we said to just send us another, which still goes down quickly. Absolute waste of money.

We use a Blue Point/Snap-On low entry, which lasted well over 10 years, we've just had it serviced and it's perfect again, and just bought an Arcan one, totally stable, and really well built, wouldn't hesitate to buy another when we need one.

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    Avoid aluminium ones as they are wobbly,
    I've had mine for about 7 years now and it's never given me any issues.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    Still BTW /\ /\ GO LEAFS!!
    Booo! lol

(I used to like the Leafs a long long time ago)

Rides
    Iv had my Arcan jack for a fair few years now. Its been great but now one of the pistons is sticking and gets stuck down. Iv sprayed loads of grease and wd40 at it but it must be picking up inside. Fear it might be its life over.

Rides
    Actually I dislike a lot of the leaf players tbh. Gone are the days of Dougie Gilmour (ex Flame!) and Wendle Clark...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
    Booo! lol

(I used to like the Leafs a long long time ago)
    Arcan is fine but I'm not a Costco member. I feel like I'm still going to have to use a ramp anyway, so perhaps I should get a cheaper jack.

Rides
    Im a costco member, went to get one a while ago and they seem to be doing crap draper ones now.
    Might have to have a chat with the snap on man, bluepoint one is $480. See how much it is with our discount (40%)

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    It would probably be nearly half price
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Blue point would be good but £££