Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Stinks of fuel!!!!!!!!!

Rides

Car Stinks of fuel!!!!!!!!!

Hello all

I've recently noticed that my car has began to smell very rich, a thew friends have said it to me a while back when they have been behind me but I've never noticed it until now and it's really strong, it seems really strong from the drivers front wheel and then out the exhaust, I've been reading through some threads on here and it could be down to a boost leak?, would this be a good place to start? Otherwise I was thinking injector seals which I've never had replaced and the car is on 145k miles now or would it be to do with the dump valve as I'm getting hesitation when changing gear?
    I was thinking about getting a re-circ but I want the turbo chatter still, does this still work with a re-circ?

Hope someone can give me some pointers.

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by ipnanobox; 30-12-2014 at 13:04.

Rides
    i suppose you have checked if there is any obvious leaks around the car? especially after she is parked up for a lil while or while running but parked up? definitlsy check for something obvious first, also in and around the engine bay if you havent already.
    i dont think a boost leak will cause such a strong smell unless its a massive boost leak ha
    any difference while you drive the car? less power etc?

Rides
    Thanks for your reply and yeah I've checked the car for leaks when left overnight and then when running but I can't see anything , the car feels slower than what it ust to do but its noticeably different when you go through the gears, it just struggles to pick up the boost again after you've changed a gear, also just to add I have had a S15 roller bearing turbo fitted not to long ago which I brought from h-dev if that's any help....

Rides
    Blow leak if its not leaking fuel out.

Rides
    Ok I will have a look at all the pipes and connections, also my other question was about the dump valve, i wanted to know which is better to have. A dump valve or a replacement circ? I want the turbo chatter but I don't want to damage the turbo, can you get this with the re-circ and does the re-circ make the car feel better performance wise?

Cheers Chris

Rides
    Recirc always.
    Also pressure test it, i am always saying this but 95% of folk dont listen - you cannot test for boost leaks without a proper pressure test.

Might not be, might be petrol pissing out somewhere but basics first.

Rides
    Is the fuel filter leaking or if it's inside the cabin maybe check the fuel tank seal

Rides
    Ok thank you what's the best re-circ to get as i was going to get one from H dev, are these good and is it going to be better than replacing my HKS SSQV.

There is definitely nothing leaking out from what I can see on the floor and the smell is more outside, the only time you get a strong smell of fuel is when you reverse, but that's because I'm reversing through the fumes but it is very strong :s

How do you do a pressure check?

I'll change the fuel filter also as I have one of them in the boot, was also thinking about replacing the fuel lines from the filter to inlet, what size are the pipes are they 6 or 8mm internal diameter??

Thanks for your help guys

Rides
    Anyone??

Rides
    When I had a fuel smell it was the feed pipe on the filter mounted on the drivers suspension turret. I would check that to see if yours was the same.

Rides
    I know when I had a Westfield kit car with rubber pipes they rotted but didn't leak just stunk of fuel till I swapped them from front to rear

Rides
    My r34 used to do this, was the seal around the fuel tank where the pump goes, the big plastic ring was cross threaded and wasn't sealing properly.

Rides
    hesitation could be coilpacks are they original. Just a thought.

Rides
    Ok thanks for your replies, I will have a check of the fuel pipes and its definitely not the fuel tank as its only just started to smell and I've had the car over three years now, I was thinking coil packs to as I believe they are original as I've never change them yet.

With a recirc valve does the engine still flutter or will I loose that if I take the dump valve of it?

P.s happy new year everyone

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    When I had a fuel smell it was the feed pipe on the filter mounted on the drivers suspension turret. I would check that to see if yours was the same.
    I had the same

Rides
    Right today I w taken my girlfriend to work and it absolutely stunk if fuel from the passenger side because as my girlfriend got in and opened the door it was really strong, I also checked it while running when I got back and the smell is from the manifold side in the engine bay, I'm guessing it could be a exhaust gasket but still should it be running this rich??

Rides
    Carbon canister still present? That's on the passenger side.

If its been removed check that the 2 remaining pipes have been connected up.

Rides
    Yup that's been removed by me about three years ago and pipes have been joined mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ipnanobox View Post
    Yup that's been removed by me about three years ago and pipes have been joined mate
    i would remove the BOV your hear a better sound through a decent air filter. check exhaust for leaks, check coil packs and while your there change the sparks to copper gaped to 0.8mm they cost bugger all.

Rides
    Will fitting a recirc still make it flutter as that's the sound I like, not the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, also thanks for that, I will have a go with changing the coil packs etc like you say and I'll post on here if it's running any better.

On another note as I got in the car last night, the drivers side front suspension is making a terrible noise, as if the spring sounds like it's pinging, I have HSD's on the car, would this be top mounts if anyone knows? Or has anyone experienced this, they are dual tech HSD's.

Think the car is wanting some attention after the new year parties etc lol

Thanks all Chris