Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: New car time - Golf R32 Mk5 advice?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    £487.87 is my guess
    I R totles lolling at the optimism LOL

Rides
    Full rundown required! Or is it like the RPM prices and best part of a grand for brakes plus 400 service?

Rides
    PS. You probably forgot vat

Rides
    Lovely 996 you have their Arry - great colour & wheel combo.

Service bill looked a little steep, but it seems whatever you put a Porsche in for, they come out with a bill of at least £1000 - even at an indie. The previous owner of my 944 spent £10k in one year with RGA, as I say, not one bill was less than £1000!! First one was £5500!!

Been ages since I have logged in on SXOC, funny that I have also trodden a similar path - I swapped my S13 for a Eunos, we also had a 330ci at the same time, and over the last few years I've had a 944S and a 944 Turbo (that I still have now) - many others in betwen though!!

Dabbled with selling up my 944T for a 996 last year, fancied an early C2, but I see now that good ones have firmed up - so I've probably missed the boat now. A 996 TT would be ideal, but they really have rocketed in the last couple of years. An NA 996 sounds better though, and there's something just right about the narrow body in the right colour.

I actually came on here as I had been daydreaming about buying a 350Z over the weekend

Rides
    Hallsy - long time

Your 944 is mate - reminds me, round the corner from me there's a 944 S2 under a cover that's been sat for ages. Couple of weeks ago I spotted the car was missing and the cover left on the driveway. Got round the corner to see the guy bringing it back in and OMG it's so clean Guards red and black fuchs wheels - perfect. I'm tempted to go ask him to call me if he ever wants to sell it as I do love a 944.

Yeah, the pricing has started to move up because there's a lot of positivity on them now as the 'unloved' 911's. That's good news for me in some respects, but bad in others - as if it starts to climb in value I'll not be able to let the wife drive it

I don't mind the unloved moniker if I'm honest. (I bought it because Si said I should buy one ). I think it's a great looking car in its own right and the more I drive it the more I get enamoured to its little traits and capabilities. It ain't perfect and if it was I think I'd dislike it because of that. It is, however, such a good package.

So anyway, I bought it a year ago now F me, that's gone quick. A quick tot up sees me at:
    £1500 for a service
    £600 for exhausts
    £200 for air con

A quick look at the 335i's I was looking at and they're going for circa £8,500 for a car that was certainly £10k nearer £11k when I was looking. So best case it'd have 'cost me' £1500 in depreciation and a BMW service which let's be honest, could have been equally as painful.

My man maths is strong tonight.

Rides
    Long time indeed mate - good to see many familiar names still posting!!

Thanks - have I posted pics on here before then?? A 944 in guards red is a lovely 80's classic, I really miss my 944S for that, but I had an itch for the Turbo so moved on before I got priced out of the market!

The 996 has suffered some criticism for a while, I think it was easy for some to put it down as they didn't like change, nor the fact it shared the front end with the Boxster. Fair enough, the engines do have a reputation, but then the earlier air cooled motors weren't without issue either.

Years on they are now appreciated again as a modern classic - and rightly so Yours is one of the best colour/wheel combos IMO - classy.

Man maths always works out when you buy an older car at the bottom of its curve, it's one of the reasons I couldn't buy a newer premium car - I couldn't stomach losing loads of cash in depreciation.

So I guess I'll always run old bangers

Rides
    Can we have an update please Arry
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Uhhhem

So it's sort of broken, insofar as it doesn't work.

This is the little bugger that's caused it, I hope

Arrived today.

Hopefully shouldn't be too difficult to fit, but since I've done my ribs in and can barely move off the sofa at the moment - it won't be getting fitted any time soon

Rides
    Hmm ignition switch.
    https://iapunitedkingdom.com/catalog...view/id/159780
    Which also means a whole host of Audi/VW are also affected by dickey switches.

Bet it's a right ass to change. You need a small child in your toolkit for older 911.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmBrBf0y0QU
    Seems "they do that sir" and have been failing for a long time, though many redesigns.

Rides
    Spot on. Porsche don't sell the original part any more as they redesigned it along with the tumbler and steering lock mechanism. You can get just the ignition switch via VW dealers, because they believe in punting on the same old dodgy crap

Since my key etc is still ok I'm going with just the ignition switch and hoping it's just that.

I'ts not going to be easy to change as I'm currently nursing a popped rib head which will stop me from laying on my back under the steering wheel in the footwell quite well, I should imagine

Rides
    Yessssss! Finally, I can justify having not bought one, as yours is broken!
    What's that, Over a year trouble free? LALALAALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Bugger though dude, fingers crossed that sorts it

Pisser about the rib as well, dare I ask how? I'm guessing because auto-fellatio?

Rides
    You should sell up and get one of those reliable super cars like a pors.......uh!

Rides
    Shite german shite always breaking down...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Yessssss! Finally, I can justify having not bought one, as yours is broken!
    What's that, Over a year trouble free? LALALAALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Bugger though dude, fingers crossed that sorts it

Pisser about the rib as well, dare I ask how? I'm guessing because auto-fellatio?
    Pretty confident it will solve it - a quick search for 'random electrical faults' and 996's always throws up the same culprit. I had a random moment with it about 6 months ago but chalked it down to me not being quite with it and it couldn't have been what I thought it was (flashing random dash lights) so that was obviously the beginning of the end. At least it had the decency to break down in the garage.

As for the rib - well, it's been a long time since any fellatio has occurred for me, so

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Shite german shite always breaking down...

This one cheered me up - 300,000 miles, never been apart past the rocker cover.

Rides
    HELP!!

I've had it all apart today and got the old one out, fitted the new one and all was going well until I went to reconnect the loom plug which looks like this:

Problem is, even though the new part is identical to the old, the loom plug just won't take the new one. It gets to the pins, and then jams, so the connections aren't being made

The old one snicks on there quite tight but without too much resistance. The new one I've given quite a lot of force to and it's not going.

I don't know if I should force it - and TBH, even if I should, I don't think I've got the strength due to my ribcage

Advice please. Lubricant maybe?

Rides
    There is a pin on the part but a blank on the connector, worth a look to see if ithe blank is hollow or plugged.

If all else fails, don't forget your Sbody roots.
    #cough#spadeconnectors#cough#

Rides
    After checking for blanks like immy says, try putting a slight chamfer on the pins. It could be a burr on one or more of the pins

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Remove the switch from the lock and look for burrs or anything that doesn't match the loom plug.

Rides
    And today, finally, after waiting 2 weeks for my ribcage to mend itself I decided to mend the car

Hooray, it works again.

But to top it off, it would appear all it needed was a new battery after all

Rides
    Didn't you have a new battery a few pages back?