Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New car time - Golf R32 Mk5 advice?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    But then scottie look at e46 m3 running costs. Expensive servicing. Various parts that can cost large amounts when they fail, and
    Also whilst pattern parts may be cheaper, they also don't last as long, and as I've found out with my bmw and the other halfs audi, most of the stuff we buy has to come from dealers, things like sensors etc aren't worth the money for copies.

Hell I bought some bonnet struts for the e36 from euros, long and behold they don't fit correctly.
    Parts aren't that bad for the M unless you're looking at aftermarket. GSF and euro prices are very reasonable and I've had bushes, coil packs and random other things. You've just got to remember you'll need 6/8 or even 12 of some things which is where the additional expenses occur

Rides
    Heart. Heart decisions are a glorious way to bankrupt yourself.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Dem trooofs, dem experience

Rides
    YOLO
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Its a matter of finding a balance though, isn't it ?

You can "go sensible" and spend a good portion of your life not enjoying driving or you can go "silly" and fulfil a fantasy for a short while then spend a good portion of your life paying for a short period of enjoyment.

Somewhere in between, you can spend money you can afford on cars that are a pleasure to drive and put a smile on your face when you come to it, when are in it and when you get out of it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    YOLO
    lollage

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Its a matter of finding a balance though, isn't it ?

You can "go sensible" and spend a good portion of your life not enjoying driving or you can go "silly" and fulfil a fantasy for a short while then spend a good portion of your life paying for a short period of enjoyment.

Somewhere in between, you can spend money you can afford on cars that are a pleasure to drive and put a smile on your face when you come to it, when are in it and when you get out of it.
    I think you may have misread my quote as discouraging Arry from doing it
    I love being regularly bankrupted by my heart decision, because on days like today, where it's a glorious morning and I go the back way to work, it makes all of the gruel meals worthwhile

I genuinely believe that a 996 is a viable proposition. I've done a lot of readin about them over the last few years (for no particular reason, honest ) and once you get past the minority of the IMS/RMS and scored bore stories, they are pretty solid cars. Some do throw huge repair bills, but they seem to be the ones that were bought right at the bottom of the price point, which 10-12k now isn't. There are many. many tales of people going in with their eyes open, buying well looked after cars, and them costing nothing more than your average family saloon to run.
    Of course, as mentioned above there are other tales, but I shall gloss merrily over them. They genuinely seem the minority.

None of this, by the way, applies to Turbos. Which don't have the IMS/RMS or bore issues. But are ruinously expensive in EVERY OTHER WAY.
    Last edited by Si; 17-04-2015 at 07:20.

Rides
    Correct, TUrbo's, GT2 and GT3's had the older block/engine with no issues...however this may be quadrupling Arry's original 7k bugdet
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Yes but there's also a general rule of thumb.
    Definition "A rule of thumb is a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation."

So we are agreeing more than you think

The trick is to find that great car to drive/own which is at the less ruinous end of the window to own/run I think a 996 is a strong contender, and offer good value at the moment.

Rides
    So tomorrow I shall see a blue 911 C2 - late model with the 3.6. And I'm excited as **** for the first time in this car hunting.

I really heart these heart decisions - they rock.

Now, to buy it before the brave pills wear off

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    So tomorrow I shall see a blue 911 C2 - late model with the 3.6. And I'm excited as **** for the first time in this car hunting.

I really heart these heart decisions - they rock.

Now, to buy it before the brave pills wear off
    What money is it up for ?

Rides
    Don't ask that sort of question.

Just ask how giddy he felt after driving it for the first time.

Rides
    Then a few months later ask how giddy he felt after paying out for a broken wiper motor or something !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Then a few months later ask how giddy he felt after paying out for a broken wiper motor or something !
    £230

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/cma81-...6L-09-01-2005/

And also, yay Arry
    Last edited by Si; 17-04-2015 at 11:26.

Rides
    The 3.6 addressed some of the 3.4 issues, and is a little bit faster I think the facelift looks better as well. If I sold the sx now and needed a weekend fun car that was good as standard, setup for fast road, and gave me pleasure owning the 996 would be at the top of the shortlist.

I like the fact you have to learn a slightly different style to drive a 911, am very much looking forward to what you think of it Arry.

Rides
    Just ran a quote through - it's cheaper to insure than both the BMW I've been looking at and only marginally more expensive than my current BM - LOL

I feel like I'm about to do a sky dive. Nervous as **** but excited all at the same time. So this is what emotion and automotive passion feels like - I've forgotten over the course of the last 4 years

Rides
    Course your nervous, you could be onto a winner that gives you joy for many years to come with little finacial outlay.
    Or you could be bending over to touch your toes every time something goes twang and the part is a dealer only (ship from Germany) part.

On the plus side you will not be constipated for a while so hey..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Just ran a quote through - it's cheaper to insure than both the BMW I've been looking at and only marginally more expensive than my current BM - LOL

I feel like I'm about to do a sky dive. Nervous as **** but excited all at the same time. So this is what emotion and automotive passion feels like - I've forgotten over the course of the last 4 years
    It's because you care And you want one. BMWs do that to you - they drain your understanding of exciting cars by just doing everything to a really good standard, but nothing exceptionally, but you don't realise, becuase as a complete 'thing', they just seem really good.

Then you drive something that's really shit in some areas, but utterly excels in others, and the recalibration happens again.
    And I'm jealous, because I'm currently getting insurance quotes for a cheap front wheel drive estate

Rides
    This seems like a damn good decision - living the dream!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesx13 View Post
    This seems like a damn good decision - living the dream!
    Or the nightmare as it may turn out. To Be Continued! Lol