Thread: Mapping options

Rides

Mapping options

As above Im considering getting my s14a mapped later in the year but want to see what options I have + price etc

Current spec
    Full exhaust system including manifold
    Hks filter
    Walbro 255
    Turbosmart recirc dumpvalve
    Front mount intercooler
    Refurbed turbo
    Colder plugs
    Hks boost controller (not wired in yet)

my original plan was a nistune and fit nismo 555 injectors and an rb25 afm as I have them both sitting here and leave it at that, although that was the plan back then as I thought progress with the car would have been a lot quicker and my plans were based upon my budget at the time. But now I'm just taking things as they come and starting to rethink where I'm going with that car with now thoughts of 2871r, z32 and maybe bigger injectors (perhaps 720) if the 555s aren't enoguh. However this is all just thought I'm having atm but I'd like to plan ahead a bit. So anyway in regards to mapping

I'm not keen on the thought of a chipped ecu. I know there's nothing wrong but for the difference in price although there won't be much difference in gains, I'd rather have the car mapped to get the most from it and I know if I didn't go down that route I'd regret it.
    So I was given a quote for a nistune board fitted, soldered in and mapped for £580 all in
    Power fc around £400 ish 2nd hand and then needs fitted + mapped etc so at a guess £650+
    Or try and pick up a used ecu mapped for the mods I want to fit
    Is there any other options I should be looking into that aren't going to cost a fortune? I'm not trying to cheap out etc just don't want to get something expensive that's going to be overkill when there's a cheaper alternative, any useful input is much appreciated, thanks.

Rides
    Jez chips. U have most of the mods he stipulates for his set upgrade. Worth a look and a lot cheaper than the prices u have mentioned. Maybe worth a look mate

Rides
    Probably should've said its Horsham development

Rides
    Yeah they were my first choice til I thought more about it £280 plus fitting and postage would cost only a couple of hundred less than getting a nistune and if I ever wanted to change anything on the car I'd have to take the ecu out, posted away and wait for it to come back where's if I had a remappable ecu it would make things a bit more simple. Living in Northern Ireland certainly has its disadvantages haha

Rides
    IMHO I wouldn't bother with a chip, if you buy a mappable ecu be it nistune, pfc, link etc at least your future proofing, at least it leaves the door open for more mods 😊

Rides
    If you don't know what you want in your spec then a mappable ECU is your best bet. But when you do change your spec you need to factor in the cost of remapping and dyno time.

Rides
    It's kinda pointless getting a ecu on that spec.

I always start with what i want from the car so my Sr powered rx8 is back on a h hdev stage 1a chip because it's simple cost me 80 quid on top of the mods needed where as it would have been around 400 for a power fc then up to 600 in mapping. It's a good drive it will drift and track day all day long.

Where as my twin turbo v8 s14 has huge amounts of engine work and requires many difference ecu functions a lot more inputs and outputs so stand alone ecu is a must
    Last edited by -ghost-; 24-12-2014 at 21:32.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Pointless using the rb25 MAF. Its just as shire as the OEM one. Z32 or nothing IMHO.

Rides
    Okay I didn't really want to have a chipped ecu incase I wanted to make changes in the future although after reading your comments I'm swaying more towards the idea, would a stage 3 chip be okay? Only difference I can see between what I have and the list is the turbo is a 28rs am I right in saying that it's the same as an s15 turbo which is what some s14as already have?

Rides
    The chips can also be remapped bit like nistune. Tho not sure if only jez@hdev can do them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by amcm1 View Post
    Okay I didn't really want to have a chipped ecu incase I wanted to make changes in the future although after reading your comments I'm swaying more towards the idea, would a stage 3 chip be okay? Only difference I can see between what I have and the list is the turbo is a 28rs am I right in saying that it's the same as an s15 turbo which is what some s14as already have?
    Nope mate. The 28RS is the previous favourite to the 2861. S15 came with a T28R (T28 BB) which is just the roller bearing version of the stock turbo.

Rides
    Right okay gotcha now, so I'd need to get a 2a chip or just do the job right and get a 3a chip, 2871r + z32? Hardly any point buying a gt28rs when a 2871r won't be much difference in price

Rides
    There's also a place nearby to me in Belfast area that have started developing their own chips which I assume to be, in theory, identical or similar to the horsham chips! However, not too many people have them so I think I'll be better getting a HD chip

Rides
    Speak to Gavin Magee / gmsport. He can map/chip/tune

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by amcm1 View Post
    There's also a place nearby to me in Belfast area that have started developing their own chips which I assume to be, in theory, identical or similar to the horsham chips! However, not too many people have them so I think I'll be better getting a HD chip
    I've seen some on ebay from a different company maybe it's the same company?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hannakournikova View Post
    Speak to Gavin Magee / gmsport. He can map/chip/tune
    Yes that's the ones! Couldn't remember what you called them

Quote Originally Posted by wyn2k View Post
    I've seen some on ebay from a different company maybe it's the same company?
    I've seen them but it says they're from Latvia, and just must be copies of the hdev ones but a lot cheaper, don't think I'd have much faith in them haha better sticking to ones I know have been used and proved to be safe to use like the horsham chips

Rides
    Custom map all the way, I've seen people get 50hp more over stage 3a chip with custom maps.