Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is everyone finding winter? *WARNING, MAY TICKLE SOME MEMBERS AUTISM*

Rides

Exclamation How is everyone finding winter? *WARNING, MAY TICKLE SOME MEMBERS AUTISM*

So, this is my first proper winter with my S14, had it last year when I was 19, but back then my diff was welded and I was so scared of the arse end kicking out that I drove around at 5mph everywhere.

Since then, got a 2-way to make it a little less daunting to drive quickly in the dry but to still have fun.

Well this winter, I have now experienced what I am going to call 'Mundane driving skids'.

Now, I'm not going to condone drifting on the public highway, however, when the roads are this icy/wet/cold, the fact of the matter is, often enough you're either going to under/overseer around a turn.

Now as I've said, I don't condone drifting on the public highway what-so-ever. HOWEVER, it is the most fun I've ever had in a car under 20mph, and has left me with the biggest smile on my face in a long time.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but alas...

How is everyone else finding winter?

Rides
    ...Cold

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    ...Cold
    I thought it had been quite mild ...... Still have quite a few leaves on trees in Bristol

I am liking the slipperyness .... my winter tyures arnt on because I am enjoying the easy cheap skids out of junctions

BUT

Freaking fed up of the inside of the RX8 AND the mx5 being wet and having to clear the windscreen with a squeegy thing

Took the Wifes Golf to work the other morning ... it was quiet, comfortable, warm and dry .. I wish I could afford a dull newer car !

Rides
    ...wet

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I thought it had been quite mild ...... Still have quite a few leaves on trees in Bristol

I am liking the slipperyness .... my winter tyures arnt on because I am enjoying the easy cheap skids out of junctions

BUT

Freaking fed up of the inside of the RX8 AND the mx5 being wet and having to clear the windscreen with a squeegy thing

Took the Wifes Golf to work the other morning ... it was quiet, comfortable, warm and dry .. I wish I could afford a dull newer car !
    Funny story with MX5's in the winter, one of my friends keeps getting them for cheap winter 'fun' and regularly drives with the roof down while it's snowing (If you haven't done it, try it, it's is biblical). Anyway, one night driving back in the snow, he ends up getting pulled over. Reason: Police officer thought that him driving with his roof down was 'suspicious'.

Rides
    Its not even been that cold yet, wait till it gets proper icey or even better it snows lol.

Watch out for kerbs, they just love being smashed into sideways by wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Its not even been that cold yet, wait till it gets proper icey or even better it snows lol.

Watch out for kerbs, they just love being smashed into sideways by wheels
    Yep, snow = kerb =

Rides
    I'm just driving around in my nice, warm, boring diesel.

Up here the really good roads don't get gritted, and when it frosts they stay frozen for days.
    It's no so much fun skidding out of control when the corner has a shear drop and no crash barrier

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Its damn cold. Pretty been pretty dry here on the whole though. Only bit of snow I have come a cross so far was last Friday on single track roads in the wilds of Northumberland when driving the tin can, woke me up a bit but no real dramas

Rides
    Was enjoying the action in my worn out p6000's, much more boring now I've put some new tyres on. Also not enjoying mx5 ownership in winter so working hard to get a C-Class coupe back on the road to give me a bit more refinement

Rides
    Bunch of girls, I cycle to work. If it snows I'll take the mountain bike or run. Should grab a pair of cross country skis from my parents for when/if we ever get proper snow.

Rides
    What winter?

Rides
    Hot

Rides
    Wet ! Boring and wet, Every night on the Ride home (Pedal bike) It rains. The weather can be fine all bloody day and then just as I am about to leave work it starts bloody raining :-(.

Rides
    Well, last week we had a couple of nights of snow, just enough to make it interesting getting to work over the Peaks (also enough for slightly sad middle aged Volvo doughnuts in a empty car park). I ran the gauntlet through the Road Closed Due To Snow sign which is always exciting.

Hoping for a lot more snow, because I'm still not over the novelty of northern winters compared to the disappointment of London winters.

Rides
    A pain in the arse. Can't get a fcuking roofer to start work on my extension roof without 2 rain free weeks. I'm just hoping I get that before next winter as I don't fancy throwing another £300 straight out the roof

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmet***asket View Post
    What winter?
    This.

Two mildly frosty mornings is all down South.. Been rather windy at times though.

Rides
    Sultry and mildly moist. Got 13°C here today.

Rides

How is everyone finding winter? *WARNING, MAY TICKLE SOME MEMBERS AUTISM*

Very mild where I'm at. Apart from last week had a few 'slick' cold nights. Took the mx5 out 4 nights out of 7 for some roof down night skids.

Best.

Fun.

Ever.

Rides
    Glad i didn't pay out loads for winter tyres so far you can count on one hand how many times ive been in e car and it's less than 8 °c