Thread: best way to read/listen to det knock?

Rides

best way to read/listen to det knock?

Been looking for a while but seems to be alot of options some seeming to work on some engines better than others.

i know you can see it on consult with a Sr but people seem to think thatit can be off quite a bit.

Then you have the people that make there own from the diy guides on the net. Very mixed reviews.

Then you have the likes of te haltech knockears, ks4 ect again have mixed reviews

So what is the best way to heard knock?

Rides
    KS4 with headphone option

Rides
    Might just pop it down to Mr gush as doubt I'd ever use them for awhile.

Tho tempted to have a go at the diy ones means its less than a tenner in parts

Rides
    I went with a very basic knocktec from extraefi

Rides
    I used to use a bit of copper pipe bolted to the side of the head along with some hose and some ear defenders. Works fine.

Now use KS-Pro because I was always melting the pipe / crimping it under the bonnet

Rides
    Yeah i was going to do that or the electric version but then i did'wast know what i was listing for ie which noise is which.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Yeah i was going to do that or the electric version but then i did'wast know what i was listing for ie which noise is which.
    I'm going down the route of an additional stock sensor feeding into laptop / custom pre-amp and own coding for knock detection... but like you say main knowledge needed once being able to listen is to know what you are listening for.. discerning knock from other mechanical noise sources / general noise...

Rides
    Yeah the problem with the laptop is its hard to look at it i'd rather a light flash on.

As for noise there are videos on YouTube of it but i still can't really hear it thinking I'm deaf to be honest.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    I used to use a bit of copper pipe bolted to the side of the head along with some hose and some ear defenders.
    That's what we used to do (probably got the idea from you Jez , hope you are well, it's been a while!), cheap, simple and easy to hear.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sammos13 View Post
    I'm going down the route of an additional stock sensor feeding into laptop / custom pre-amp and own coding for knock detection... but like you say main knowledge needed once being able to listen is to know what you are listening for.. discerning knock from other mechanical noise sources / general noise...
    You should see the ***orithms in modern ECUs for any level of knock detection. Honestly, it isn't something your average joe at home is going to have a hope of replicating.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    You should see the ***orithms in modern ECUs for any level of knock detection. Honestly, it isn't something your average joe at home is going to have a hope of replicating.
    I assume you know what Sammo does for a living
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.