Thread: More IT fun today - anybody know much about barcodes and scanners?

Rides

More IT fun today - anybody know much about barcodes and scanners?

I thought I posted on this already, but I think I did it just on Facebook...

I would like to be able to scan 1 barcode, then scan another and have the thing doing the scanning indicate if they're the same, or not.

That's all I need, nothing cleverer than that - but for the life of me I cannot find a solution for this!

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

Rides
    A barcode is just a series of numbers, so all you need is an app to take an input and compare it to a previous one.
    You could do this in MS access or just about anything, heck you could just can a whole lot into excel as individual entries and compare them with a function after you have put them in.

Rides
    As Sideways said, you could just open a spreadsheet, set condition formatting for a column to "Highlight cell rules > Duplicate values" (set your formatting for duplicates) and scan away.

Rides
    Yes, that sounds ideal, should I have the brain power left to do such things... but I haven't the first idea how to do it. Also ideally I would like this to be mobile, so on a scanner or phone or something ideally, sorry to be a pain!

Rides
    Get windows laptop or tablet, connect scanner to usb port, run excel

Portable and piss easy.

Rides
    It's not portable in the way I need annoyingly, the way forwards I guess is a speak on laptop loud enough to be heard round the warehouse, and a wireless scanner...

The plan is to have a piece of paper with a barcode on, and that same barcode on a product, say a pack of mince pies... and scan one, then the other, and they match, great.

If they dont match it should alert the person picking, and so avoid an incorrect item being sent - wouldn't want somebody to get Stollen instead of mince pies!

Rides
    Rather than scanner why not use the camera on your mobile phone and a barcode reader app? Im sure there's one capable of doing what you're after and probably more.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by karlf View Post
    Im sure there's one capable of doing what you're after and probably more.
    I was too, and this was my first plan...

And then I tried to find one!

Plenty can scan a code, then compare them on the internet and all sorts to where I can buy them, how much they are elsewhere etc... but no apps to just compare 2 consecutively scanned codes for some reason!

Rides
    QR code generator and reader app
    Not sure how you would be able to make it compare and notify however, if this is for business it might be worth paying a freelance app designer to make it for you?

Rides
    I can generate the barcodes, no problem, and print the labels.

Unless it'd be very cheap, making things from scratch has previously worked out horribly expensive, I really hoped a clever person might possibly have faced this problem before.

I guess as per usual I am just being awkward! Thanks again for the help everybody

Rides
    what you describe is a basic order picking method. its old and basic and I cant remember the exact name of it. now days they use 'pick to light' as it limits down time of people shuffling around all day.

do the products already have barcodes on them? or would you be making your own stick on barcodes.
    sounds like you want a portable barcode verifier/reader. like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-...item2599a94b98

I work on automated conveyor systems with fixed barcode readers but don't know about the software side of things but it sounds like a fairly basic code would need writing to process the data.

Rides
    Custom vb.net application would be my first choice.

How is the scanner connected.

1. Bluetooth
    2. Com port.
    3. As a keyboard.

Would create a app that would capture the two barcodes and then compare them and tell you answer.

Rides
    Is this simply a case of orders being picked wrong?

Rides
    There is currently no scanner, it's more something I would like to make happen that something which does already.

It's also not a major problem, as very few things are picked wrong... it's just a way to hopefully ensure that stays the case as volume increased for this sort of small item.

No barcodes on them at the moment, I would be putting the codes on the picking list, and also on the bins where the products are taken from