Thread: Stage 1a manifold glowing

Rides

Stage 1a manifold glowing

I've just fitted a h-dev stage 1a map to my s14a I was setting to MBC I was up to around 16psi jumped out to turn it up a touch more to reach th 17psi mark

I was in county lanes and it was pitch black so I noticed the cast manifold was glowing slightly I had been nailing it but wasn't expecting it to glow at that sort of power

I've ordered a ecu talk lead and a ht lead extender as I would expect ignition timing retard would cause excess egt temps and I'm getting a O2 sensor bung welded in aswell so I can get my wideband fitted

Is this normal and I'm worrying about nothing as the car seemed fine or is there a problem
    Does anyone know what AFR his maps run

Thanks

Rides
    The Map is safe, Jez wouldn't ship it out if it wasn't.
    Individual cars vary tho, the timing can be wrong, the fuel pump can be weak and the injectors could be abit clogged and not flowing enough.

The 1a map is right on the edge of what the stock stuff can manage so you need to make sure your car is running perfect before fitting the map and upping the boost.

Maybe turn the boost down while you investigate?

Rides
    As usual: check your timing, fueling and make sure its not knocking
    It might glow a little, but you must check these things anyway.

Rides
    Oh I wasn't saying his map was bad was more just wondering if a worrying about nothing or not

Rides
    I'm just waiting for the bits to turn up and it's getting done I was gunna check the timing one the ground wire but read on your site it gives a better reading on the actuall HT lead so ordered an adaptor

Anyway you recommend for listening for knock diy style

Rides
    O2 bung being welded in today

Rides
    Nailing it on country lanes makes things glow. Constant braking to slow speeds for tight bends and then revving out through a couple of gears before the next one... and don't tell me you stick devoutly to the national speed limit in the middle of nowhere on roads you know and where you can see no other traffic headlights for miles due to the bare trees and hedges at this time of year... Yeah it'll glow after 5 or 10 minutes of that. Just remember to ease off a mile or two away from home and let the brakes, engine and turbo cool down.