Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ogura Racing Clutch Experience?

Rides

Ogura Racing Clutch Experience?

Hello

For my higher power build I require a more durable clutch and it seems that at 450/500 it's going to be a Twin Plate.

There are a lot of options out there, but I noticed Ogura Racing do a good variety and are currently very price competitive. Does anyone have, or know anyone with, first hand experience of them? I'm all for trying something new, I know the company has been around for years, but a little insight would be interesting.

In particular I am looking at the 559 series.

Thank you

Rides
    I considered the 559 for my clutch setup, went with an OS Giken TS2BD in the end after being recommended it through a friend. Could be worth considering also

Rides
    I have the ORC 709 on mine.

It's a bit rattly (I think the sprung plate version would be quieter) and is fairly heavy (you have to expect that really) but works fine

There are probably nicer clutches for everyday use, but I don't use the car every day so not an issue.

Rides
    Ahhh. Useful Ben, ta. The 559 is 550PS, the 659 is 650PS so heck knows what yours was. Okie doke, thanks Ben. Cheers Jordan.

Rides
    pretty sure Jez had one in his S13 running a lot of power.

3rd Overall 2016 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    7th Overall 2013 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    8th Overall 2012 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    9th Overall 2011 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    2nd Overall 2010 Prostreet drag series Shakespear County Raceway
    4th Overall in street class 2010 HKS drag series Santa Pod
    2nd Place TOTB IX RWD Drag Shoutout

Best 1/4 Mile ... 10.96 @ 132mph Santa Pod October 2nd 2010

Rides
    OSG TS2BD on mine as well. Can't fault it tbh ☺

Rides
    I had one on my SR - was pretty good but I didn't use my car on the road that much. Most twin plates are rattly when you press the clutch in - the centre drive plate floats in the cage which makes the noise.

Rides

I had an unknown Orc for my first twin which was pretty nasty on the road tbh. Swapped that for the OSG str2cd which was better. I've now got the new OSG street master...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-str...d-bearing.html

Virtually no rattle and pretty close to stock clutch feel even though it's the hard version

Rides
    I've used an ORC 559 on my CA and an OSG STR2CD on my RB - the STR2CD is much better in terms of road use, it's not as noisy (my 559 was the sprung type) and a little bit more progressive. Also, there's RB motorsport, a UK distributor for parts rather than having to order them from Japan.

ORC email enquiries were answered pretty quickly though (in English!)

If you're using it for track only, I'd probably pick up the 559 - it's a very 'direct' feel and they are competitive on price. If you want something that'll run on the street nicely and not make you despise driving the car, there's better choices.

drifter - how do you find the street master compared to the STR2CD? is it a cut above and distinctly noticeably different? More importantly, worth the price ?
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Thank you for all the feedback, this has been super useful and I didn't realise so many folks had had experience with these.

I live in the dream world that my car is almost exclusively track, and that is it's primary function, but I'd really like to enjoy it more on the road these days as well, even if just for meets and Sunday outings. I will reconsider the OSG units. I just need ago get a clutch so I can send it to a tuner and get it finished.

RB Motorsport, a dealer for OSG or ORC Alan?

Rides

The street master is awesome. I'm not anywhere near testing its full capacity, but for road driving its very soft and smooth to engage and virtually no rattle at all . I'd image the soft version is close to a stock clutch tbh.

If this wasn't an option I'd have bought a Nismo super coppermix twin
    Last edited by Drifter; 06-12-2014 at 17:38.

Rides
    What's it rated to Scott? It certainly sounds very good.

Rides
    RB are an OSG dealer, so parts are on the shelf in the UK - they're very good when I've dealt with them, though OSG stuff isn't that cheap.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    What's it rated to Scott? It certainly sounds very good.
    500bhp for the soft and 700bhp for the hard. Not sue why they never give torque figures.

Rides
    Thanks chaps. Good info, well received. Now it looks like cost will be the only consideration. Thank you kindly. Scott, still got your PM too. Thanks!

Rides
    Sorry to raise this again, I'm struggling to work out the differences between the STR2CD and the streetmaster, and there's almost nothing in it in terms of cost. I guess the streetmaster is the newer, more up to date and more advanced clutch of the pair?

Both I'm sure are fantastic, but I definitely need something to deal with proper power on the track with being nice on the road a bonus.

That said, they're coming out £200 more than the 559 when you consider the duties. I've also sent a quick email to RB Motorsport, thanks Alan.
    Last edited by piman2k; 08-12-2014 at 11:34.

Rides
    I also considered the STR2CD but was advised the TS2BD is more track orientated, ideal for me seeing as my car is pure track and drift use only. Suppose you need to find that happy medium though..

Rides
    It's not the medium I seek really, I know I'm going to be 450 ish bhp off the dyno just given the turbo and the engine, but then it's my intention to stretch that to 500 with headgear next year simply for a fun number. I don't use it a lot on the road but if there's a clutch out there, like Scott says, that can let me do my track days (primary function) but also have a nice drive about on the weekend then it would be lunacy not to go for it.

Unless it costs too much in my case.

Rides
    Only just seen this

The str2cd will be fine with 500, I only changed mine because it needed new plates and I wanted to try the street master. If you can afford it, get the street master

Rides
    I've just fitted an os giken TS2BD to mine, can't comment on what its like as haven't driven the car yet. the car it came out I'm almost certain it was fairly quiet compared to most other twin plates out there. at the end of the day as I'm sure you're aware you get what you pay for. nice thing with os giken is that the rebuild kits are fairly cheap compared to the clutch it self.